Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,290

3 members and 2,287 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Flipping/Price Markups

I'm gonna rant a little and note in advance that I don't give a crap if some people disagree with me. These are once again, my thoughts and feelings. I think a lot of us share the same feelings on flippers. It's just a part of this business, even though for the most part it makes you want to vomit in your mouth a little bit. Flippers, along with the out and out scumbags (you know who you are, so I won't bother naming the list) make up a large part of the sketchy people in this hobby/business. Some flippers sell perfectly healthy animals which is a testament not to their care for/of the animal, since the animal isn't with them long enough to take a crap and have a cup of tea, but to the care of the original breeder. Some flippers sell and dying animals and couldn't care less about the animal or the buyer. Some send the buyer a completely different animal and claim until the cows come home that it's the one from the pics. Some send the gift that keeps on giving! My new favorite thing is some of these guys selling animals for more than the breeder, who may or may not be selling the same list of animals concurrently! What is that about and why would people pay more money to get the snake from a flipper than from a legitimate breeder?

Support the quality breeders in this business. The people who care about the animals and don't see just dollar signs. I could rattle off a list of those too but I think everyone knows who they are!

That's it..Soapbox put away...For now....

Thanks

Re: Flipping/Price Markups

I don't have a problem with the practice of buying wholesale and selling retail in itself, but I feel more confident buying from a seller that doesn't have a constant flow of animals coming in and out of the facility all the time. It would be hard to believe that stringent quarantine practices could be followed in such situations and inherent risk would have to be higher of contracting disease, mites or parasites just from the possible multiple contact of snakes in the same proximity. I wouldn't rule out buying from a broker entirely and have in fact looked twice at broker's ads. But I would feel much better about a purchase from a breeder.
    Do not resuscitate

Thanks

I'd rather give my money to people who are passionate about producing their own animals. People who take great time and effort selecting and caring for the right animals for their breeding projects. Not to mention selling an animal that I can rest assure is healthy.

My last point is the one that bothers me the most. How could you possibly practice proper QT when you have animals coming in and out so frequently. I've yet to see one of the flippers talk about their QT procedures.
    ~*Rich
    1.0 100% Het Albino
    1.3 Normal
    1.0 Spider
    0.1 Mojave
    1.0 Pastel 100% Het Goldfinger
    0.1 Pastel 66% Het Goldfinger
    0.1 Pastel PH Goldfinger

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Spaniard View Post
    My last point is the one that bothers me the most. How could you possibly practice proper QT when you have animals coming in and out so frequently. I've yet to see one of the flippers talk about their QT procedures.

Most dont have the animals long enough to worry about this, the key is to resell as quickly as possible. Just like flipping houses.

Thanks

Some people just don't know the difference. How do you tell who is when when you first get into this hobby? You don't. It sucks.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FIREball View Post
    Most dont have the animals long enough to worry about this, the key is to resell as quickly as possible. Just like flipping houses.
    How long do you need to have an animal in your possession before you have to "worry" about it?

I understand the concept of flipping but I didn't know pathogens had a grace period

Not trying to sound rude, but I just don't buy it. I worry about bringing stuff home from shows and I'm only at those for a couple of hours.
    ~*Rich
    1.0 100% Het Albino
    1.3 Normal
    1.0 Spider
    0.1 Mojave
    1.0 Pastel 100% Het Goldfinger
    0.1 Pastel 66% Het Goldfinger
    0.1 Pastel PH Goldfinger

BPnet Senior Member Mike Cavanaugh's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,022 Times in 458 Posts

I agree... just a side point... lots of local pet shops are themselves simply flippers. they buy from a company or a local breeder, throw them all in a tank together, absolutley no quaranteen, and sell them to the next unexpecting victim. One added bonus... they also sell the victim that absolute wrong setup to make a couple extra bucks.

In fact, one of my local pet shops is even much worse then that!!!! they are flippers of troubled snakes on purpose! couple moths ago I was wasting some time window shopping their snakes. A punk comes in with a 2 or 3 year old ball python... totally messed up skin... big time eye caps... a few healed over burns... VERY skinny. The kid says the snake is sick because he hasn't eaten in a long time. has no idea when it even ate last....

He gives the snake to the shop for free... no later then 15 minutes after the kid leaves, the owner of the shop throws the snake into a filthy tank and puts a hundred dollar price tag on it!!!

Local pet shop owners in my opinion can be the worst flippers out there.
    Mikey Cavanaugh
    (904) 318-3333

Thanks

I'm sorry but I don't see the point in bashing resellers when it's the breeders that enable them by selling them large numbers of animals for wholesale prices. I'm just not going to spit in the face of a flipper and turn around and brown nose the breeders that provide them the animals to flip.
    -Diana

Support Captive Breeders
    http://www.lunarboids.com

Thanks
    Thanked 2,795 Times in 1,171 Posts

[QUOTE=jglass38;866978] I could rattle off a list of those too but I think everyone knows who they are!

QUOTE]

Yawn.....we've heard THIS before.

How come you never name names? You always know someone or refer to people as those we all know of.

I have NO clue to whom you refer.

Do you buy groceries? Do you go to a chain or a mom and pop shop? Do you buy fruit? Again, do you buy from a local grower or a large chain?
    How about your car? Do you know the guy who built it? Do you know where he got the parts it's made of? OR did you go to a major dealer and ****er for the best price you could get?

Yeah yeah, you have the right to your opinions and moods.

But why do you feel the need to try to justify your stance to anyone else? You many think other than you, you set yourself up to have people disagree with you, you invite it in fact.

I don't care, not about you so please don't misconstrue my intention with this post. It's more to try to make you see how inane posts like this are than anything else.

At least you're consistent. That's something. Isn't it?
    I may not be very smart, but what if I am?
    Stinky says, "Women should be obscene but not heard." Stinky is one smart man.
    www.humanewatch.org

Thanks

What about the breeders that sell to the flippers? In my eyes they would be even worse.

Quote Originally Posted by jglass38 View Post
    I'm gonna rant a little and note in advance that I don't give a crap if some people disagree with me. These are once again, my thoughts and feelings. I think a lot of us share the same feelings on flippers. It's just a part of this business, even though for the most part it makes you want to vomit in your mouth a little bit. Flippers, along with the out and out scumbags (you know who you are, so I won't bother naming the list) make up a large part of the sketchy people in this hobby/business. Some flippers sell perfectly healthy animals which is a testament not to their care for/of the animal, since the animal isn't with them long enough to take a crap and have a cup of tea, but to the care of the original breeder. Some flippers sell and dying animals and couldn't care less about the animal or the buyer. Some send the buyer a completely different animal and claim until the cows come home that it's the one from the pics. Some send the gift that keeps on giving! My new favorite thing is some of these guys selling animals for more than the breeder, who may or may not be selling the same list of animals concurrently! What is that about and why would people pay more money to get the snake from a flipper than from a legitimate breeder?

Support the quality breeders in this business. The people who care about the animals and don't see just dollar signs. I could rattle off a list of those too but I think everyone knows who they are!

That's it..Soapbox put away...For now....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast