Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,888

1 members and 2,887 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Caught a Rattlesnake!!

I agree that the average person should definitely leave hots alone. I have also in the past been young and invincible have done much riskier stuff than that. From where I sit now I would recommend erring on the side of caution.
    Do not resuscitate

Thanks

Beautiful snake!! Hots look so much more rough and wild than the "normal" snakes I'm used to seeing. If I saw one I'd probably enjoy watching it and take a couple pics, but I wouldn't pick it up. Although only reason being that I have zero experience with hots and I wouldn't know what I was doing, lol. Great pictures. :D
    "The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently." - Nietzsche

Thanks

unless you are doing field research you have zero business handling that snake.

you see steve irwin or some schmuck do it on tv, you keep snakes so you think you are a herper, so you gotta do it.

the whole point of you free handling that snake is so you could run home and post a photo on here and on myspace so people could tell you how aweseome you are.

freehandling a venomous snake is pretty ignorant. pit vipers are very delicate to begin with. the fact that you had no idea what species of rattlesnake it is is troubling enough, and proof enough you had no business handling it.

even though the hospital is ten minutes away, you could've had a serious reaction. a friend of mine took a cottonmouth bite and it cost him $80,000. DO you have $80,000 to spend?

Talk to Jim harrison of the KRZ about ametuer wannabe's free handling venomous snakes.

It was a dumb move, and next time around i hope you show more respect towards the animal.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,795 Times in 1,171 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by redpython View Post

you see steve irwin or some schmuck do it on tv, you keep snakes so you think you are a herper, so you gotta do it.

the whole point of you free handling that snake is so you could run home and post a photo on here and on myspace so people could tell you how aweseome you are.

freehandling a venomous snake is pretty ignorant. pit vipers are very delicate to begin with. the fact that you had no idea what species of rattlesnake it is is troubling enough, and proof enough you had no business handling it.

even though the hospital is ten minutes away, you could've had a serious reaction. a friend of mine took a cottonmouth bite and it cost him $80,000. DO you have $80,000 to spend?

Talk to Jim harrison of the KRZ about ametuer wannabe's free handling venomous snakes.

It was a dumb move, and next time around i hope you show more respect towards the animal.
    While you are entirely entitled to your opinion, it is just that. An opinion.

I don't recall seeing a notice that YOU were to be notified prior to all handling of hots in the wild. In fact, even if I had, I'd take a pass on it.

The guy was not irresponsible. He did not show off with it. He did not engage in dangerous handling, that we know of. He caught it, took some pics and let it go.

I've done the same more times than I can count. When I go road cruising I move every crot I find off the road. Sometimes that's a lot of snakes, though I don't get out much anymore.

You guys have no right jumping down this guys throat like has been done.

Yes, you DO have the right to your opinion but NOT to your condemnation.

I'm pretty sure the OP was of age to make the decision he did. He needs no permission to catch snakes, venomous or not. Had that been a kingsnake he caught how different would the posts have been. He would have been patted on the back for not only catching it but for sharing the capture with photos. Something of a double standard if you ask me.

Who are ANY of us to tell him he was wrong and shouldn't have done that?

Sometimes......
    I may not be very smart, but what if I am?
    Stinky says, "Women should be obscene but not heard." Stinky is one smart man.
    www.humanewatch.org

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wilomn View Post
    Jo, there was a boy with a stick and a snake on a trail.

Could there have been any other outcome?
    At least he had a hook! My son only had a stick when he did the same thing

Quote Originally Posted by frankykeno View Post
    If it's one of my boys I'll be swatting them with the stick until they go do their research first, Wes LOL.
    I didn't swat my kid cause that's not how I roll, but I did have him write up a paper and also speak with the F&W guy about the snake and all sorts of neato things!

Quote Originally Posted by blackcrystal22 View Post
    It may be stupid....
    Perhaps careless...spontaneous...or as my son said "The snake was just giving off such a peaceful vibe mom..."

Quote Originally Posted by kaotik94 View Post
    ...I am no expert with hots...but have handled rattlesnakes before.
    Oh thank gods. With my son, it was his first time!

I disagree with your hard line approach and condemnation. You accused the OP of a lot of stuff and asked no questions. Hmmm, not the most enlightened approach. I see no disrespect shown to the snake in the pictures that were posted and the OP thought it was cool and that's okay for him to think that. You need to seriously lighten up and take a walk maybe....

To the OP: Please, write a paper about the rattlesnakes in your area and the correct handling of them and the safety protocols. Do not ask my son for his paper Just understand what you are doing and pay attention 100% of the time that you are near the snake. 100% attention, 100% of the time.

Oh, and wear boots too

~~McKinsey~~
    "Men have forgotten this truth," said the fox. "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed."
    ~The Little Prince; Antoine de Saint Exupery

Thanks

Who are YOU to tell me what not to handle?? ....and calling me ignorant because i handled a Rattlesnake? I ALWAYS share photos i take when i go field herping or hiking....and for you to talk smack because i LIKE to share experiences with fellow herpers.......ahhh....i am not even gonna go there. Go take a chill pill redpython. I could care less than what you think

Thanks

OP: HAHAHAHA apparently you DO care what i think. you replied and PM'd me.

but the bottom line is you did have a snake hook, you had ZERO business free handling the snake.

I know a lot of people want to be arm chair field herpers just because they have kept a few snakes for a number of years.

Again, if you are not doing field research, you have zero business handling a venomous snake in the wild. That is just how it is.

As I said in my PM, you get my Tough Guy Award for 2008. Chuck Norris would be proud.

Thanks

Jason, like I said, this was rather harsh and uncalled for. Your feelings are not an absolute in this industry, and while expressing an opinion is okay, you have in no uncertain terms told this gentleman that his reasons for picking up the snake are not good enough. Sorry... but on what grounds?

Thanks

but the bottom line is you did have a snake hook, you had ZERO business free handling the snake.

I know a lot of people want to be arm chair field herpers just because they have kept a few snakes for a number of years.

Again, if you are not doing field research, you have zero business handling a venomous snake in the wild. That is just how it is.
    Sorry dude.......I didn't know YOU are the King of field herping and I should listen to you.
    Anyways....thanks everybody else for the comments.

Thanks

Cool pics. I also agree with wilomn. No different than taking pics of a wild kingsnake (besides being a little more careful about being bitten than if it were a king )
    Mike Schultz
    Outback Reptiles
    mike@outbackreptiles.com
    703-365-2262

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast