Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,482

0 members and 1,482 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,092
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Thanks

Re: Caught a Rattlesnake!!

That's a sweet find! Be careful!

Justin
    J. Kobylka Reptiles Website
    Check out the 2013 JKR incubator!

Warning:
    Snakes have been shown to cause death in laboratory rats.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,252 Times in 931 Posts

I agree that's a sweet find! I personally would not handle any hot like that....but that's me (I am the boss of me). If you feel comfortable doing that, then more power to ya dude (i'm not the boss of you). Sweet pics!
    --Walt

Thanks

Im not trying to be a arshole but man that dangerous, have you had experience with picking up and handling poisonous snakes because thats how people die and just because you watch it on tv doesnt mean anyone can walk around with a snake stick and catch snakes. im not trying to be rude but you were 10 miles right with a hemotoxcin or nerotoxcin you wont make it very far and im sure your wife cant pick you up. god forbid you ever get hurt like that but, dude thats plain out reckless, id say view from far and admire the power and beauty but don't touch especially when you dont know what species it is, if you got bit and the snake got away how would you be able to get the right anti venom also you could be allergic to the anti venom, its a unnecessary risk, also now you can inspire a member on this site to do the same thing monkey see monkey do, im not just talking about you but anyone. but that my opinion take it or leave it...good luck and stay safe!!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,795 Times in 1,171 Posts

As with the others you too are welcome to your opinion. Narrow is good sometimes.

But I don't think condemnation is due.

Just how does one gain field experience with hot if not by going out to the field. It's not the same as in someones snake room. Yes, I know this from years of personal experience.

You guys who won't/don't handle hots seem real worked up about someone who's obviously not an expert but working on getting better. Why not focus on that?

I'd also like to see any verified report of a rattlesnake caused death of a FIELD HERPER. I don't know of any.

How do you feel about skaters? How about people who speed? That is FAR more dangerous not only to you but to the people around you. Have you ever been hit in the ankle by a fast moving skateboard? How about nearly killed by a speeding driver?

What did you do then? Why was that different from now? You've got to admit that both skaters and speeders do DIE in fair numbers, verifiable, every year.

Do any of those of you who brought soap boxes have one that reaches those heights or do you all just have the short ones?
    I may not be very smart, but what if I am?
    Stinky says, "Women should be obscene but not heard." Stinky is one smart man.
    www.humanewatch.org

Thanks
    Thanked 1,252 Times in 931 Posts

I'm sorry, but I don't know when the rule came about that only "TV Herpers" could handle these snakes. He's a big boy and can make his own decisions. If someone else is inspired to do it just because he did then I feel for them as they have other issues. If he is comfortable with his experience level and keeps his whits about him then it's his decision to make.
    --Walt

Thanks

Thanks for sharing....

.... if handling venomous is your thing, do it responsibly. This person was fieldherping and sounds responsible in this instance.

On a side note, I have found that I can find wild reptiles in the same locations much more freqently when I do not handle them. Some of the locations I herp, I will see the same animals over and over again. I have handled a few....and they seem to migrate to another location afterward avoiding the threat. Don't know if that is a proven fact....just my experience.

....so it has become my own personal preference to not handle wild snakes unless to move them off the roadway....venomous or non-venomous....

.....but I will lie down on the ground in front of them to get cool photos on occasion

-Daniel Hill
    Facebook: facebook.com/hillherp/
    Instagram: instagram.com/hillherp/
    Twitter: twitter.com/hillherp

Thanks

Sweet pics Tim! dont let people like Red Python get you down. I have handled many hots in the wild for numerous years now. i have plenty of experience and knowledge on the right and wrong ways of handling the beautiful yet dangerous creatures. People like Red Python are just trying to talk crap b/c he doesnt have the knowledge or testicular fortitude to do what you did. I see nothing wrong with the way you handle that snake. I will be doing some field herping tomorrow and will hopefully have some good pics of me handling dome Rattlers,Copperheads, and i hope some Cottonmouths.
    Trent
    Retics? What Retics?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by redpython View Post
    unless you are doing field research you have zero business handling that snake.
    the problem with this thought is that very few people are lucky enough to do field research. (i guess i'm lucky ) but, it's a moving experience to be able to handle a snake as majestic as rattler. if you have the know-how then there's nothing wrong with it.

it's dangerous to rock climb. but sometimes, looking at the cliffs just isn't enough. it's dangerous to white water raft. but sometimes just looking at the river isn't enough. it can be 'dangerous' to do a multitude of fun things... and by all means, be careful, but to live life with the mentality that you shouldn't do something because it has the potential of being dangerous does not make sense to me.
    Colin Vestrand

long time keeper and breeder of carpet pythons and other snakes...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234