Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,974

0 members and 2,974 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Talking A Trip To Wal-Mart

Ok so I just got back from wal-mart. I bought a 40qt sterlite tub for my snake, brought it home and drilled holes in the side and up top. I taped in some news paper for the bedding, also drilled 2 holes on the top. I came across the Acu-Rite thermometer and have it all set-up, although where do I put the little sensor thingy, does it matter which side? etc.
    My snake is not in the new enclosure yet though because I just fed him so I'm going to wait 2 days before putting him in there. I have some questions.

1- Will the UTH melt the plastic? My mom says it will and I say it wont but I'm just checking.
    2- I don't need the clamp light anymore, correct? The enclosure is being held by 2 little tables next to the window, so it will get the daylight that comes in. Heres a picture for you guys. Also, new pics of him/her coming soon! Once he is done with his next shed I will get some for you guys

~Evan
    0.0.1 Normal BP - Hades

Thanks

Re: A Trip To Wal-Mart

It's ok to have the UTH on the plastic if you have some kind of thermostat connected to it to make sure it won't malfunction or over heat.

Just make sure you have a little gap for air flow between the bottom of the heater and the table it's on. You can put something under the corners or the sides. I used to use 1 x 2's.

Also, that tray table looks a little scary to me. If you bump that your snake tub could fall off so easy. That's just temporary. I hope.

Good luck with new tub.
    ~Tashai
    5.10 ball pythons, 1.1 hog island boas,
    1.1 mexican black kings, 0.1 jungle carpet python 0.1.3 crested geckos

Visit my website: http://ti-imagery.com

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Ball Pythons do not need light. Having your tank by the window will make it harder to keep the heat regulated. The UTH should not melt the plastic but they have been known to malfunction and get too hot. You should always have a Tstat hooked up to your heat source. Most people use the Helix, $100 or so. This will keep the heater from getting too hot and harming your snake.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,252 Times in 931 Posts

I personally would tape down the newspaper. Tape in the enclosure should be avoided if possible so the snake does not come in contact with it. They will often hide under the newspaper as well. Thermostat or at least a rheostat is a must if you don't have one. The hot spot will get to around 120F without one. Good luck with the new setup!
    --Walt

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by snakelady View Post
    It's ok to have the UTH on the plastic if you have some kind of thermostat connected to it to make sure it won't malfunction or over heat.

Just make sure you have a little gap for air flow between the bottom of the heater and the table it's on. You can put something under the corners or the sides. I used to use 1 x 2's.

Also, that tray table looks a little scary to me. If you bump that your snake tub could fall off so easy. That's just temporary. I hope.

Good luck with new tub.
    Yes the tables are just temporary, It's just there until I put my bp in it then I'm moving it on the ground on top of a box or something, also what do you mean a little gap? Like something Between the enclosure and what it is on?

Thanks for the responses everyone
    Sadly, I do not have a thermostat atm, going to need to be getting one soon.
    ~Evan
    0.0.1 Normal BP - Hades

Royal Morphz Maker Royal Morphz's Avatar
    Thanks

just to add to the other poster i would remove the tape from holding down the paper the glue that is used could melt from the heat of the uth and get stuck to your snake or the fumes could hurt it in the long run i use paper in all my tubes and it gets crumped up but it doesnt hurt the animal and just keep the cool side between 80-82 and the warm side 90-92 and you should be set the light from the window isnt needed for the animal but that will be up to you
    Tim Johnson

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Waltah meant to say he would NOT put tape in the enclosure. I missed that part in my post and I also agree and the table being to unsteady.

Thanks

Don't worry guys, that is just a temporary place for the tub until I put everything in it. Does anyone have any answers for the Acu-Rite thermometer question that I asked? Thanks
    ~Evan
    0.0.1 Normal BP - Hades

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by trumetal96 View Post
    Yes the tables are just temporary, It's just there until I put my bp in it then I'm moving it on the ground on top of a box or something, also what do you mean a little gap? Like something Between the enclosure and what it is on?

Thanks for the responses everyone
    Sadly, I do not have a thermostat atm, going to need to be getting one soon.
    Most UTH's come with spacers to add to the bottom of the tub. The gap is to keep the UTH from sitting directly on whatever the tub is on. This space will allow air to circulate and keep temps more steady. Trapping the UTH between the tub and a table would not be good.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by trumetal96 View Post
    Don't worry guys, that is just a temporary place for the tub until I put everything in it. Does anyone have any answers for the Acu-Rite thermometer question that I asked? Thanks
    Put a probe on each side of the enclosure. The warm side needs to stay around 90-92 and the cool side around 82-84. Remember this is the temps on the bottom of the tub, not the ambient temp. Humidity needs to stay 50-60%.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast