Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,842

2 members and 2,840 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Breeding an '07 girl?

I have three normal female ball pythons. One is definitely in my breeding plans this coming season. Her boyfriend is a 100% het pied male. The second is a maybe for a late breeding this season. She is an '06 and is around 862g, so she might be up to weight late in the season. We also have a '07 that is not that far behind the '06. She eats, never fail, every 7 days. She weighs 706g. Do you think she should be considered for breeding late this coming season? As of right now, I have no plans at all to breed her, but I wanted to get some opinions. I know I'm breeding Akina, the 1834g female. Shane, the 862g, is a maybe for a late breeding.
    Under Construction.....

Thanks

Re: Breeding an '07 girl?

I have 07 girls that will be going this year, 3 to be exact. Right now they range from 1000-1300g

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

This is just my opinion. If those girls were in MY collection, Akina would be the only one I'd consider this season. I'd give the rest another year. I wouldn't try to push them to put on enough weight to go this year.

There's size and then there's maturity. I've got some '06's that are technically the right weight to go this year, but I'm thinking of holding them back yet another year for more weight and body condition.

It's just not worth it to me to push my girls to breed just because they are close to or right at breeding weight and not consider other variables as well.

Thanks

This past season was going to be my first. I had several girls (05's & '06's) that were right on the line. I decided to wait and give them all the extra year. To me it is not worth it to breed them that soon. I know lots of people breed younger and smaller than I am, but I would rather err on the side of caution. To me it is about what is best for the snake, not ohhh I got to breed this season. (not saying you are thinking this, but I do see lots of people who are). If they are not 3 years old and over 1600, I will go later in the season or wait altogether. Although with the cinnamon I got from Adam, she may go at 2- she eats like there is no tomorrow! I can't believe how fast his snakes seem to grow and gain weight.
    1.1 crazy dogs
    4.3 even crazier cats
    2.2 bps
    2.0 Off Track Thoroughbreds
    0.3 human kids
    1.0 Boyfriend who puts up with the craziness

Thanks

One year ago, Sadis, the 702g female, weighed 90 something grams. She eats like a champ. Well as I've said, I have no intention of breeding her this year.

Shane, the '06, I might. But it would be a very late breeding, probably sometime early in the summer if she puts on the weight. I won't try and make her gain that much. If she does gain it on a regular feeding schedule, then great, if not, then she doesn't go.
    Under Construction.....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by catawhat75 View Post
    This past season was going to be my first. I had several girls (05's & '06's) that were right on the line. I decided to wait and give them all the extra year. To me it is not worth it to breed them that soon. I know lots of people breed younger and smaller than I am, but I would rather err on the side of caution. To me it is about what is best for the snake, not ohhh I got to breed this season. (not saying you are thinking this, but I do see lots of people who are). If they are not 3 years old and over 1600, I will go later in the season or wait altogether. Although with the cinnamon I got from Adam, she may go at 2- she eats like there is no tomorrow! I can't believe how fast his snakes seem to grow and gain weight.
    Never seen a snake from Adam that didn't want to eat me out of house and home (and rats LOL). In fact we made the mistake of allowing our first 8Ball BP to eat a bit too much and had to learn the lesson that male snakes that are overfed aren't as active at the breeding thing (Adam warned me about this but did I listen...noooooooo....geesh...sometimes you have to learn the hard way ). We got smart, put Malachi on a more appropriate feeding program for an adult male and guess who bred like a champ and was a daddy this year.

I completely agree with your thoughts. We got a number of females this year that are at breeding weight now and another group that are fast approaching that line. We'll make the call later this year though which ones go and which ones don't based on their overall eating pattern, age, weight, health, vitality, etc. Hopefully we're learning that instinct that just says yeah or nay with the females.
    ~~Joanna~~