Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,865

3 members and 2,862 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Question Just got fisrt ball python

I just bought my first ball python and i have some questions.

1) The python is about to shed and has blue eyes. a, I've noticed it doesnt seem to be thermoregulating and has been in the same hide for 3 days do they sometimes do this when about to shed or in a new enclosure or shoudl i look at my temperatures? b, i used to have a scorpion and i know they can get stuck during a molt. can and does this happen with ball pythons and if so when should i be worried?

2) Probably a dumb question but, can they tie them selves in knots? i doubt it but i've seen min in some intreasting coiled positions

3) Whats the typical vet schedual my ball python should be on? regulair check ups or when i suspect a problem?

4) is "popping" a snake a good idea if you havent done it before to find out its sex, what are the risks?

5) Do they need night and day cycles or should I trade in my day bulb for another night bulb and rely on ambient light in my room.

6) I've noticed that the python hasn't been sticking its tongue out since we left the pet shop, I checked at the pet shop for this and it seemed to tongue flick alot should i be worried or could this be because of the impending shed/ne wenvironment syndrome.

7) The python is about 13 inches, when its done sheeding i plan on starting it on its eating shedual. i've heard feed the young ones twice a week and also once a week, which is it?

8) I did try to handle the snake when i got it on my own to put it in the new enclosure and i noticed it tucked its head meaning it was scared, is this typical all the time for handleing or is it a sign i should probably back off? the snake seemed fine when i handled it at the store but i'm not handling it until its doen shedding.

that is all for now i'm sure i'll have more questions as time goes on

Thanks

Re: Just got fisrt ball python

to BP.Net!
    1st off I would suggest reading up a little more on Ball Pythons. There is a great sticky on this forum that I'm sure someone can direct you too that answers alot of the care questions in regards to keeping these amazing animals. But here are my opinions on your questions.

1. Alot of snakes will choose a favorite hide. If you just brought him home and he found the hide right off the bat it offers him security until he feels like going out and exploring. Hence he's probably a little stressed and is just relaxing. Yes sometimes shed will get stuck and you can get it off gently rubbing a damp cloth on the little dude.
    What are your temps BTW?
    2. No.
    3. I'd have him checked out when he's all settled in. Give him a couple weeks and then every 6 months-1 year after that.
    4. I would say no. You wouldn't wanna hurt your new snake.
    5. I rely on the ambient light in my room but some people say they need cycles. Some do not. I think it comes down to preference.
    6. They're not always tasting the air so it's not a big deal.
    7. I fed once a week on the same day. But once again, I think it comes down to preference.
    8. They do that sometimes. After awhile of handling him in short sessions 10-15 minutes a day he'll most likely get better. Usually if you buy them from a petstore they're pretty stressed as is so handling doesn't really affect them as much at that point.

Facebook.com/ToValhallaReptiles
    Instagram.com/ToValhallaReptiles

Thanks

I have a cental temp of 80, its down a bit becuase I turned the day light off and left the night light on (two light set up) and the tank is set up to cause a gradient, humididty is 70, normally 60 but I put it up for the shed. these are good right?

Thanks

First of all welcome too Python parenthood!!! v1L3 is right, you really do need to do a whole lot of research! I myself Drive my Boyfriend crazy always spouting out stuff I learned here at Ball-pythons.net. lol. But you have definately come to the right place! Good luck with your snakie!
    ~*Luna*~ The crazy Sagittarius/Snake BP Lady
    Cal and Ki's Proud Mommy.
    ~~* Goddess Bless*~~
    1.0.0- Normal Ball Python (Kyros "Ki")
    0.1.0- Normal*Spider sibling*Ball Python(Calypso"Cal")
    1.0.0- Betta fish (Leonidas "Leo")
    Steve Irwin (2/22/62 - 9/4/06)
    Sagittarius- Shockingly blunt since the beginning of time!

Thanks

First of all, welcome! I think I can answer some of your questions...

1. As long as your temps are good, I wouldn't worry about the thermoregulation. Just be sure to keep up his humidity while he's in shed and maybe mist him for a lil extra umph. He should shed fine.

2. I've never seen/heard of a snake getting stuck in a knot.

3. If you got your snake from a pet store you may want to get an initial check up just to make sure everything is good. Other than that, you only need to take him in if you suspect trouble.

4. I have no experience popping snakes and I wouldn't do it without somebody experienced right there guiding me.

5. There's no need for day/night cycles. In fact, belly heat (under tank heating pads) are more beneficial than heat lamps which suck up alot of humidity in the air that your snake needs- especially during shed.

6. If you've seen him flick his tongue before, I guess I wouldn't worry too much about that, but I don't really know of any problems in that particular area.

7. Some feed their hatchlings every 5 days or so. I kept mine on a 7 day schedule and he shot up like a weed. Whatever works best for you and your snake.

8. Most will ball up like that until they get used to handling. When they're at that point I wouldn't handle them more than a couple minutes at a time until they start getting more comfortable with you and starting to explore. And yes, holding off on the handling until he's done shedding is a great idea!

Congrats on you're first ball!
    *I love this crazy, tragic, almost magic, awful, beautiful life*
    ~melanie~

Thanks

I really did some research before i got on the ball so to speak. theres were more questions I couldnt find anything on or conflicting answers. and dont worry about getting humididty up, I used to own an emporor scorpion and humidity was the name of the game, I find a false bottom set up works great, which is what I have.

Thanks

I have another question, sorry for the double post, but does a watched snake shed?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TimmyG View Post
    I have another question, sorry for the double post, but does a watched snake shed?

I would think that they would'nt mind if you were watching, or should I say I don't think by watching them you will cause them not to shed. But like a pot of boiling water it probably would feel like it was never going to happen. Also I would think they are more likely to shed when they are active, which is at night. So unless you are a night owl you might miss it.

TONY

Thanks

Everyone has mostly nailed the questions but here are my answers. Heres a good caresheet on balls.
    http://www.ball-pythons.net/modules....warticle&id=59

1) Ball pythons tend to hide more than other snakes. They will pick a favorite hide and usually stay there most of the time. For the shedding, the humidity sounds good, but make sure the cold side with the water bowl is about 80-83F (ambient) and the warm side is 90-93F.

2) Never heard of it happening, no.

3) Since it's from a pet store, keep a good eye on it. A lot of people don't worry about vet checks because of their breeders, but usually wait for something to go off track. RI is very common in ball pythons and you should be able to find some information about it and its symptoms here.
    http://www.anapsid.org/rti.html

4) Don't consider it unless you need to know the snakes gender. If you plan on breeding, I suggest finding someone to guide you along the way or show you.

5) Not really, it's usually for 'show' purposes that they would need lights at all. But if there is a light, it should be turned off at night.

6) Not a problem. You've probably just not seen it. They only do it when they are awake and in a new area of interest or around food.

7) I don't suggest feeding twice a week. 13 inches isn't usually what is considered young or 6-8in. If you have the feeding spread out with no breaks in between digestion it can cause heart problems.

8) This is not unusual for ball pythons. Balls are very shy animals and tend to be very head-shy. If you touch their head, most of the time they will revert into a ball-like position out of fear or surprise. Hence their name.

Good luck and welcome to bp.net!

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Its common when you purchase a new critter to leave it alone for about two weeks so that it can adjust to its surroundings. After that, you can start your feedings.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast