Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,478

1 members and 3,477 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

setting up a tub/rubbermaid bin

there was a thread awhile ago about how to set up a rubbermaid bin. i want to show it to one of my customers. anybody have a link?

Thanks

Re: setting up a tub/rubbermaid bin

I don't have a link, but I can tell you how I set them up for my boas. Maybe that will help some.
    I’ve had several people send me messages asking how I care for my younger BCC boas. So here’s what I do. And this is a great way to raise any boa locality, not just a BCC.
    I buy an appropriate sized rubbermaid that isn’t too big, but small enough to make them feel secure as well as give them room to grow. My personal opinion based on my experience with Peruvians, Surinames and Belem boas is that they feel much more secure on a loose substrate like aspen, as apposed to newspaper or indoor/outdoor carpet. But the choice is yours. Drill holes with a small drill bit. I use 1/8", and space them about 1 1/2 -2 inches apart. Place a relatively small waterdish in there. You will probably have to move it around the tub accordingly to achieve the desired humidity level you are looking for. Since these types of set ups hold moisture well, you’ll probably keep it as far away from the heat source as possible. Also, you may have add more holes to lower the humidity. From there, just place a an appropriate sized uth under one side of the enclosure. I like to provide one corner of the tub with a uth. Some like one whole side to be heated, and some like a uth to be about the size of the snake itself coiled up. Your call. With the exception of clamps for the top (don’t rely on the 2 clamps that keep the lid down and a book or two. Buy actual clamps) that’s about it. Those little buggers are pretty strong and can get out.
    Having said that, here are so important considerations.
    1) Make sure you give yourself plenty of time to set up the tub before placing the boa in there. A day or two isn’t enough. Temps and humidity will change frequently in new setup. Especially is you use aspen. Freshly applied aspen with make the cage more humid for several days and then will start to fall some.

2) Use good devices for measuring temperatures and humidity. An infra-red temp gun is your best friend when working with BCC or any locale of boa constrictor.

3) Dial devices are crap, stick with digital.

4) Fart around with the thermostat probe. There’s no set place to put it in any type of setup. You’ll get all sorts of readings when moving it around. Try it.

5) A boa kept in a tub will need to be in a room that has an adequate ambient (air) temperature corresponding to the time of year. I adjust my boa’s cage temperature in correspondence to the season. I give them a "Summer" and "Winter". It’s not necessary, but that’s what I prefer to do. Ideally, a room from about 78-84 is good. This is important. A boa cannot be kept in a 70 degree room with only uth. If you have cool rooms and are unwilling to heat them because you don’t like it warmer or are too cheap, then this will not work.

A couple sample setups

I know you want one for a Royal Python and I listed how I do it with a boa constrictor, but you get a general idea. Hope this helped.
    Brandon