Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,930

2 members and 2,928 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

Rat Problem, any ideas?

So over the last few days I have had three rats that appear to have all of a suddenly came up with serious problems.

Best way possible to describe it is they appear to have had a stroke, unable to righten themselves, tilted head all the time, one was to the point where it is unable to eat or drink and was euthanized. If you pick them up by the tail they will just spin and spin and spin.

This goes along with about half a dozen other rats, some breeders some feeders that have just up and died within the last week,

Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Re: Rat Problem, any ideas?

I have a female that did that, but it is very minor. She is normal now!

Thanks

Ear infections. They need antibiotics and possibly steroids. They likely won't return to normal and will always have the tilt if you haven't caught it soon enough(within a day or two).

Have you brought any new rats into the colony without quarantine? If rats are dying with no symptoms, then you have a big problem.

If they have symptoms, what are they?
    --Becky--
    ?.? Normals, 1.0 100% Het Pied Classic Jungle, 1.0 Yellow Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Butterscotch Hypo, 0.1 100% Het VPI Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Yellow Hypo, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Yellowbellies, 0.1 YB Granite, 1.0 Black Pastel, 1.0 Lemon Pastel, 0.1 50% Possible Het Banded Albino, 0.1 Spider, 1.0 Fire, 0.2 Granite

Thanks

Did bring in about three times the amount of rats I had and that was about a month ago.

The rats that have just been dying are breeders that I have had for a year or more, they have had no direct contact with each other for at least four weeks. As far as symptoms, they seemed perfectly healthy as of sunday when I cleaned there cage.

As far as the ear infection goes can that be spread form one tub to another or usually more direct contact.

Any other thoughts? And all these animals are supposed to be tested and healthy cuz they supply the zoo. Is that just BS?

Thanks Becky for your quick response

Thanks

Were the new rats in the same house as the existing colony? If so, you broke quarantine as soon as you brought them in. 14-30 days quarantine depending on where the rats come from. Usually symptoms(if they are to manifest) will appear in a week to a week and a half.

Ear infections are not contagious as far as I'm aware. I've always kept those rats separated (a few throughout the years)though and in a single level tub while they recover.

I doubt they test them for anything, as those tests are expensive and require blood draws. You can do ELISA tests, but still, quarantine plays a huge role in having a healthy group. I usually do 1-2 months depending on the rat.

Could be your older breeders are just worn down and were at the end of their lives. Mine that don't get bred(majority of them) live to be 3-4 years old.
    --Becky--
    ?.? Normals, 1.0 100% Het Pied Classic Jungle, 1.0 Yellow Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Butterscotch Hypo, 0.1 100% Het VPI Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Yellow Hypo, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Yellowbellies, 0.1 YB Granite, 1.0 Black Pastel, 1.0 Lemon Pastel, 0.1 50% Possible Het Banded Albino, 0.1 Spider, 1.0 Fire, 0.2 Granite

Thanks

Yeah dont really have the option for quarantine with the rats. Know there is one guy I buy rats from that I never hesitate to just add excessive feeders into my group.

I have noticed that the majority of the deceased are dumbo rats but cant say all of them have been.

And thanks again for your help

Thanks

Trevor, read up on this link. Sounds to me like a myco outbreak that for some hit the inner ear resulting in wry neck and then death. Were any of the new rats sneezing or had red staining around the eyes or ears?

http://www.rmca.org/Articles/myco.htm
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

Sounds like you have a bug being spread through the colony that you brought in with those new rats. Yes, quarantine is important because there are many contagious diseases that will kill entire colonies within days.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by frankykeno View Post
    Trevor, read up on this link. Sounds to me like a myco outbreak that for some hit the inner ear resulting in wry neck and then death. Were any of the new rats sneezing or had red staining around the eyes or ears?

http://www.rmca.org/Articles/myco.htm
    Wow, would say thats exactly what is happening here. Thanks for that link, I have fed off all animals that are showing any symptoms and am slowly gunna rebuild my entire colony.