Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,094

1 members and 3,093 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Taking forever to breed?

I have a colony of 2males and 3 females, it was 3males and 3 females because one was mis sexed, I fed one male off to my snake because they were starting to fight..

I got the ASF's about 2 months ago they were weaners very small, they have grown a lot and the growth has slowed down a lot, the males are slightly bigger than the females and thier testies are just about dragging the floor (Im assuming this is a sign of maturity).... But still I dont have any babies yet...

What gives? And does anyone have a pic of a pregnant female?

Thanks

Re: Taking forever to breed?

it took mine about 4 months to breed. they take forever. and you will know what they look like when they are pregnant. think of the rat with two golf balls inside her belly. my ASFs get HUGE when they are pregnant. youll see her and wonder how she can walk when you see how big she gets. its borderline ridiculous.
    1.0 husband 2.0 children * 1.1 doggies * 1.1 kitties * 0.1 dumerils boa * 1.0 argentine boa * 1.1 normal ball pythons * 1.0 normal kenyan boa * 0.1 anery kenyan boas * 1.0 tokay gecko * 1.0 russian tortoise * 1.0 beardie *

BPnet Senior Member Mike Cavanaugh's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,022 Times in 458 Posts

the females don't blow up until about 4 or 5 days before giving birth. It will seem to happen over night.

Once you get an eye for it, you will be able to tell when they are pregnant much earlier then that without even picking them up just buy the shape of their mid section. You should be see your females blow up soon.

You have 2.3 in one enclosure??? If so, feed off the smaller male. you want 1.3 not 2.3.
    Mikey Cavanaugh
    (904) 318-3333

Thanks

I was going to but they dont fight as of yet... I was just thinking one has displayed dominance and the other may be more submissive. Im not sure, but I figured if they arent fighting then why feed one off... I could see who the real stud is...

BPnet Senior Member Mike Cavanaugh's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,022 Times in 458 Posts

I tried a 2.3 once when I first started and it didn't work well for me. In my opinion... it is kind of a "king of the castle" thing. I believe male ASF's are more sexualy agressive when they are the only male in the tank and there are children to make.... I think when there is another male in the tank they are still in the "growing up with my friends" state of mind.... Not the "its time to grow up and make babies" state of mind they get into when it is one male and 3 or 4 females....

Putting my theories aside, two males will fight (you may not see it) wasting energy on each other instead of their lovely ladies.
    Mikey Cavanaugh
    (904) 318-3333

Thanks

They Will Fight & Bloody Up Each Others Eyes,also They Will Kill Any Offspring That Are Born,mine Are Kept 1.2 Trios.its Working Great Had 4 Cages Set Up & They Are Producing Good After A 2 Month Wait,the 5th Cage Had What I Thought Was 1.6 But It Was 2.4 Lost All The Babies As Soon As They Were Born The Bigger Male Fought With The Smaller One Till There Eyes Were Swelled Shut,split Them Up Into 1.2 Trios With New Young Males We Shall See If They Fight Or Take If Not Feeding Time! The Big Male Went Into The Asf Holding Cage With My Feeders & He Started Fighting All The Young Males & Blooding Them Up Had To Seperate Him By Himself He Is Snake Food On Feeding Day!
    WHITEMARSH BALL PYTHONS
    CAPTIVE BRED BY GREGORY J HALL

CHECKOUT MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL BELOW ALL BP's
    http://www.youtube.com/user/GREGORYJHALL
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/White...88827331178640
    410-206-9781