Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,717

5 members and 2,712 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Menelas (42)

» Stats

Members: 75,083
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, NopeRopeMD

View Poll Results: what do you feed your mice

Voters
166. You may not vote on this poll
  • lab block

80 48.19%
  • dog food (bag)

51 30.72%
  • other

49 29.52%
  • misc food leftovers

23 13.86%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: What do you feed your mice

I use Sand Valley Rodent lab block. $21/40lbs.. I'd love to find a lower cost option that they'd still do good on, as I use about 50lbs. a week.
    6.13 Corns, 4.5 Ball Pythons, 1.0 Mex Mex King, 1.1 Mali Uromastyx, 1.1 Red Saharan Uromastyx, 0.1 ETB, 1.0 Boxer

Thanks

my mice get rabbit food, as its the cheapest thing here.. the rats get the same rabbit food, but also half a slice of bread per rat aswell, and any eadable leftovers from dinner etc. they often end up with a lot of veggies

Thanks
    Thanked 2,678 Times in 1,596 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cornmorphs View Post
    my mice get rabbit food, as its the cheapest thing here.. the rats get the same rabbit food, but also half a slice of bread per rat aswell, and any eadable leftovers from dinner etc. they often end up with a lot of veggies
    The problem with that is that rabbit food usually contains a great deal of alfalfa which rats can not digest very well.
    Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

BPnet Senior Member WingedWolfPsion's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,785 Times in 1,134 Posts

I would have also thought rabbit food would be much too low in protein, as rabbits are strict herbivores, and rats and mice are omnivores.

By the way, I found the copper stats on lab block, and discovered it's already as high as it is in most pig feeds. That puts pig feed back on the table as a good alternative.
    --Donna Fernstrom
    16.29 BPs in collection, 16.11 BP hatchlings
    Eclipse Exotics
    http://www.eclipseexotics.com/
    Author Website
    http://donnafernstrom.com
    Follow my Twitters: WingedWolfPsion, EclipseMeta, and EclipseExotics

Thanks

Both my mice and my rats receive an assortment of goodies. Their staple consists of Forti-Diet, mixed with a general "rodent" blend of loops, seeds and dried fruit. On top of this I give them all fresh pieces of fruits and vegetables (just be careful not to give Legume heavy items or things that could cause gas troubles). I find that bananas, peaches and apples are great fruit sources. Carrots, cabbage, lettuce...even cucumbers are great vegetable sources. I also feed them a decent amount of protein, such as peanut butter, pieces of cooked chicken or pork chops. As stated earlier, mice and rats are omnivorous, so a good balanced selection of foods really makes for healthier happier rodents.

Thanks

Sow cubes...

Banned
    Thanks

I'm learning more by reading this thread, had no idea I could feed dog food to these breeders! Now, that goes for both mice AND rats?

I have Purina Dog Chow for our dog, who also gets table scraps every so often.

But, I bought this bag of Rabbit, Gerbil and Other Small Animals with alfalfa hay but it seems like mice just ground it up and make a dust pile out of it, the rats won't even touch it so they've been stickin' to scraps?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by revxus View Post
    I'm learning more by reading this thread, had no idea I could feed dog food to these breeders! Now, that goes for both mice AND rats?

I have Purina Dog Chow for our dog, who also gets table scraps every so often.

But, I bought this bag of Rabbit, Gerbil and Other Small Animals with alfalfa hay but it seems like mice just ground it up and make a dust pile out of it, the rats won't even touch it so they've been stickin' to scraps?
    Mice/rats don't need roughage like alfalfa. You basically wasted your money. Rabbits have different food needs than gerbils/rats/mice/hamsters. I just buy my mice gerbil/hamster food. They do quite well on it. I get an average of 5 or six mouse pups per litter.

1.0 Western Slender Glass Lizard; Logos
    0.1 Charcoal Cornsnake; Morana
    1.0 Golden Gecko; Smoothie
    1.1 African Plated Lizard; Cypher and Nara

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor View Post
    Mice/rats don't need roughage like alfalfa. You basically wasted your money. Rabbits have different food needs than gerbils/rats/mice/hamsters. I just buy my mice gerbil/hamster food. They do quite well on it. I get an average of 5 or six mouse pups per litter.
    I take that back, it's actually a Western Timothy Hay Essentials bag, 3lb bought at Walmart, and Petco employees said it was ok as long as it said "small animals" anyway, I think they're wrong just as much as I am. They're just grinding up the food and sleeping on it?

Thanks

hi! i feed a mixture of small seeds (about 30 components, i have no idea what they are called in english ), fresh and dried herbs/blossoms/vegetables, living and dried insects, cat or ferret food,...

my basic mix for ASFs

...and for mice.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast