Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,136

1 members and 3,135 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Pretreat for mites?

Would you recommend to pretreat for mites after finding some in the past? I just ordered some PAM today and was wondering to to do after I take care of this current infestation. Should I spray down the substrate prior to putting it into the cage after I clean it out?
    Any other tips/links to boards/ect would be appreciated

Thanks

Re: Pretreat for mites?

The way I treated for mites in the past is this: Throw away all substrate in the cage. Clean out the cage and dry it. Spray PAM in the cage including all corners. Let the PAM dry. Use white paper towels for now instead of shredded bedding. Put down the paper towels and put your water bowl back in, then the snake. You should be able to see all the dead mites on the white paper towels. After a few weeks of using the paper towels, if you no longer see dead mites, you can switch back to your usual bedding. Do this to all the snakes in your collection. Pretreat every enclosure that you put a new snake in and keep it on paper towels until it has finished its quarantine period. If you follow this procedure you should not get snake mites in your established collection again.
    -Diana

Support Captive Breeders
    http://www.lunarboids.com

Thanks

It's always good to be proactive when it comes to treating for mites. Any time I change bedding, it get's treated for mites. I buy the big bags of Harlan aspen and pre-treat it before using. Even when I use paper, it gets treated first. I've never had a problem with mites.

Thanks

Once the infestation is gone and assuming you used a product like PAM that has residual effects and will kill any newly hatched mites, in my opinion there is no reason to continue treating. I treat the enclosure of any new animal in QT as a precaution. I have never had an outbreak of mites in my collection but when I first started out I had a snake come to me with mites and a few years ago as well. I practice strict QT so it was limited to just that snake. Keep in mind with PAM that you do not need to soak the enclosure. A few short bursts is all you need. Hope I understood the question correctly!

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Having a can of PAM (Provent-a-mite) handy is always a good thing!

The only time I treat my snakes is when

I go to a reptile shows and when I get a new addition (the new addition goes in QT gets the Pam treamtment so do all the other snakes)……………..I am a bit paranoid about mites and so far it has work for me, never had a mite in my collection!
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    Having a can of PAM (Provent-a-mite) handy is always a good thing!

The only time I treat my snakes is when

I go to a reptile shows and when I get a new addition (the new addition goes in QT gets the Pam treamtment so do all the other snakes)……………..I am a bit paranoid about mites and so far it has work for me, never had a mite in my collection!

I'm with you. I always treat my shoes and clothes when I get back from reptile shows.

Thanks

I do the same. However, I do spray proactively too. There are many times that people come over to buy animals from me. I have no idea what they may bring in. I'm taking about 50 animals to Daytona tomorrow. Those that get brought back will all have their tubs treated.