Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 869

4 members and 865 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,523
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

How did you first get started?

Did this start as a hobby and just built itself?

Did you take a loan out to get your breeding stock rolling?

Borrow from friends and family?

Pure luck?

Id like to hear your story whether it ended in total flames or not... LOLO

Old enough to remember. Freakie_frog's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,884 Times in 2,148 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: How did you first get started?

I started with a Het pied male that I got from Daniel1983 on here. With the intent of making poss hets and just doing pieds. But I like many people got the "itch" so I got set up by Daniel with Sean of EbN a few years ago. It was sensory overload pieds, blast, bees, hypos, lessers, stripes, clown. I had died and gone to heaven. So I placed my order of 5 morphs after picking them up and waited..I learned..I waited...I learn. I got to be a sponge learning about different combos, genetics, and having fun making friends.

This year I produce 2 clutches I'm just getting my feet wet. Next year how ever I am stepping out full bore and going forward with my dream. Now that I have the basics down to where I am comfortable with the breeding process theres no stopping me.
    When you've got 10,000 people trying to do the same thing, why would you want to be number 10,001? ~ Mark Cuban
    "for the discerning collector"

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

It started with an iguana - a baby iguana - that Karl purchased on a whim without doing any research, and I was very upset about, because I knew we didn't have the space for an adult. He just wanted a "lizard" and boy did he get one. Sadly, Zues was not well cared for before we got him and didn't make it.

I told Karl - please let me do some research and pick out something else for this 20 gallon tank - and I purchased my first normal male ball python. I was smitten!

Got on the internet looking for ball python related forums and a whole new world opened up to me. Adam of 8ballpythons was one of the first to reach out to me when my Kashmire was determined to have internal parasites and guided me through my worries, and I made my first het purchases from him.

I also started scouring ads looking for the best looking females I could find!

Three years later, and I've got a great foundation stock of females, and some nice morphs (lemon pastel, mojave, enchi, spiders coming, YB coming tiger, and some het males (clown, pied, hypo) and dreams of more in the future!

Thanks

I have always been a snake lover, and had boas about 3 years ago. I planned on breeding my boas and even though I knew how much room they needed and there care like the back of my hand, I just never realized that how little of a collection I could have in my condo due to the size enclosures they needed. (I only have one small spare bedroom). So I had to part with my boas, but still wanted to keep reptiles. I got into Leopard Geckos shortly afterwards, and have breed them for 2 years, love it, but still missed snakes. I started doing research and realized that I could keep a very nice collection of Ball Pythons and even breed them and have plenty of room and time to provide the best possible care, I was stoked. I immediately started visiting BP.net, picking up as much info as possible and met so many new friends in the process. I owe so much to friends such as Robin, Ed, Trey, Justin and Brian for helping me learn the ropes and providing me great deals along the way to get me going in the hobby. I am coming up on my first year breeding Ball Pythons and I hope I can have great success, just as a tribute to those who took the time to help me along the way. Ball Pythons rock!!
    Custom reptile and amphibian enclosures! As well as other custom wood working.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

It started as a long time love story for snakes ever since I first encountered a burm when I was 5 or 6, I just knew one day I would have a snake.

Until a few years ago owning a snake was not a possibility, than finally the opportunity presented itself and I bought a normal BP, I soon fell in love with the Bumblebee and I decided I had to have one, even better I had to produce one, and it all started from there.

I started buying a few morphs and hets to work on projects that made me dream and this year was my first year and I produced first clutch including the snakes that got me into this addictive hobby.

Now there is no stopping me, I have several projects I am really excited about and definitely looking forward to the next season.
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks

I started a few years ago when the guy at my pet store let me hold an adult female ball python and a white lipped python.
    I'm not afraid of snakes, because I got Balls!

Thanks

it started with a StickInsect for me which became an army of Insects, a Tortoise,a Polecat,then a Hamster then a Gerbil,a Spider, then a pet Crow then finally a Garter snake I was 10 years old and was instantly hooked by the snake.

Been keeping various snakes ever since.

I was one of those kids that went off into the woods to play to find animals or just watch them lol Had the PS3 been around back then christ knows what I would have ended up like
    There is a moose loose aboot this hoose !

Thanks

Well, ive always wanted snakes but never could get one ( You can thank my mother for that....) and last year I went to a show looking for a new Beardie to take home with me. At the last table a guy had a nice set up with alot of different morphs, and i bought a het albino male and a albino female. A little after that i found this forum and my newest hobby set itself off from there! Now im up to ten and not about to stop buying Its really just a passion, if you go out and buy 50 snakes to start, id think youd be in it more for the money. You may love snakes but for me that just wouldnt cut it. I just keep working up towards my goal one snake at a time, and could not be happier
    - Matt

Come here little guy. You're awfully cute and fluffy but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat

They call me Emilius LOL Emilio's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,407 Times in 1,004 Posts

Started with a normal and got the itch to get all the amazing Bp's I could slowly afford, little by little I've built a nice small collection of morphs I love. Its addictive
    Absolutely obsessed with ball pythons!

http://www.facebook.com/VillarinoReptiles?ref=hl

Villarino reptiles Morph market

Contacts

Villarinoreptiles@gmail.com
    Or tex 7868774281

Do I get Paid for this??? LadyOhh's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,115 Times in 1,073 Posts
    Blog Entries

I started doing rescue, and ended up with a lot of reptiles, got a couple of BPs, and loved BPs so much I wanted to expand. Bought my Pastel, and the rest is history!
    Heather Wong
    I AM the Wonginator
    Heather's Herps Website
    READ MY BLOG!!!
    Balls for Life, Baby!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast