Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 665

1 members and 664 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,523
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
    Thanks

F/T mice bleeding when thawed?

I bought a few packages of mice from Big Cheese a few months ago for my new BP. Nice quality mice, no missing pieces and so on...

But I've noticed with the last few I've thawed, they're normal at first and then they're half covered in blood once they warm up! (I put them in a plastic bag and stick the bag in a thing of water to thaw over an hour or so) The blood comes from around the face and mouth area.

Is this normal? Maybe a side effect of freezing? (I figured maybe small capillaries in the face were getting damaged when frozen, and then when they thaw... Yeah.) My BP doesn't seem to like his food 'soggy', whether it's by water or blood so I'd like to be able to avoid this happening... That or I guess I'll need to wash and dry the mice before I feed them to him -_-;;

Thanks

Re: F/T mice bleeding when thawed?

Yeah, this happens to me a lot. My dad was saying something about the blood vessels contracting and expanding does something weird to 'em.... Maybe I zoned out or something. O_o
    -Abbi [:

1.0.0 Chinese Water Dragon - Axel.
    0.1.0 Ball Python - Seether.
    1.0.0 Bearded Dragon - Doby.
    1.2.0 (plus strays I feed!) Cats - Lucky, Kitty, and Meggy.
    0.0.3 Fish - No namesssss.

9.0.0 Rats - Louie, Chessie, Elliot, Eddie, Loki, Andante, Stevie, Igby, and Zigby. (RIP Boys. <3)
    0.1.0 - Tremper Albino Leopard Gecko - Izzy (RIP.)
    1.3.0 - Angus, and the girlie trio. (RIP.)

Too many frozen mice, mealworms, and crickets to count! Don't you love reptiles?

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

i warm my rodents up the same way and have noticed that if i leave them in the water for too long then they get a little soggy and start bleeding from the nose.

maybe cut down warm up time and see if it helps. if youre taking them straight out of the freezer and placing them into the water then maybe first try thawing them for an hour or two and then warming them in the water for only 15-30 mins. it may help...

Thanks

Thumbs up

I just fed my ball python a rat and while there wasn’t any blood after the thawing there was quite a lot once my gurl wrapped up and put the squeeze on him. It’s the first time I’ve noticed any blood (let alone the large amount seen in this case) coming from the feeders and I’m not sure if it’s a normal occurrence or if my girl just squeezed this one a lot harder than normal 🤷🏽:cens0r:♂️👍🏼

Thanks

My rats are also from Big Cheese, and also pretty frequently bleed from the nose and mouth when thawed. However, not all of them do, and I've also had rodents from a local source do the same thing, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Your snake dinners might just require a pre-feeding facial if you think the moisture will bother your snake that much. However, they may also find the blood enticing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trippyman View Post
    I just fed my ball python a rat and while there wasn’t any blood after the thawing there was quite a lot once my gurl wrapped up and put the squeeze on him. It’s the first time I’ve noticed any blood (let alone the large amount seen in this case) coming from the feeders and I’m not sure if it’s a normal occurrence or if my girl just squeezed this one a lot harder than normal :cens0r:
    Haven't had this problem with rats, but there were a couple of instances when my snake did the same thing to his mice. His hide looked like he'd murdered the poor thing with an axe. I'm guessing sometimes they just get very enthusiastic about their food.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk
    1.0 Banana/Coral Glow Emperor Pin BP- Horatio
    0.1 Hypo Black Pewter Butter- Gin & Tonic (Ginny)
    1.0 Piebald Cat- Percival Henry

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    This thread is over 10 years old y'all...

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-07-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,335 Times in 775 Posts
    Noobs
    1.0 Freddy -Python Regius
    Darby -Boa Imperator
    Kenny -Morelia Bredli
    La Reina -Lampropeltis Californiae
    1.0 Luciano -Drymarchon Melanurus Unicolor
    0.1 Macarena -Heterodon Nasicus Nasicus
    1.0 Hugo -Morelia Spilota Mcdowelli