Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 858

3 members and 855 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,523
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks

where to put probe?

I have a new awesome Animal Plastics rack! I have a new awesome VE-300 thermostat! Everything is assembled and ready for a test run! Now... where do I put the probe for the thermostat? Not right on the heat tape, right? On the outside of the tube? If I put it inside, won't the snake in that tube eventually pee on it or otherwise find a way to get it wet?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,250 Times in 1,511 Posts
    I have an RBI rack...I tape my thermostat probe is taped directly to the heat tape on the top shelf (heat rises). Seems to be working out well for me, I have my thermostat set for 108 and it's keeping my racks hot spot at 94 (under the newspaper...it's like 92-90 above the newspaper).
    2.0 Offspring, 1.1 Normal Ball Python, 1.0 Pastel Ball Python, 0.1 Albino Ball Python, 0.1 Pinstripe Ball Python, 0.1 Banana Ball Python, 1.0 Pied Ball Python, 1.0 Normal Hognose, 0.1 Veiled Chameleon, 0.0.1 G.pulchra, 0.1 P.metallica, 0.1 M.giganteus

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Skittles1101 For This Useful Post:

loonunit (05-11-2011)

Thanks
    From what I've read elsewhere, you're supposed to put the thermostat probe directly on the heat tape between it and the tub. Also, I remember reading that you're not supposed to let the thermostat probe CORD run over the heat tape, only the probe itself. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.
    1.0 '12 Irian Jaya Carpet Python
    0.1 '09 Normal BP
    1.0 '07 Normal BP
    1.0 '08 Pinstripe BP
    0.0.1 Nelson's Milk Snake

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Kymberli For This Useful Post:

loonunit (05-11-2011)

Old enough to remember. Freakie_frog's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,884 Times in 2,148 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm sorry I read the thread title and had this flash of two Aliens stand over a naked man.. One says to the other one "Yea but where do you put the probe?"
    When you've got 10,000 people trying to do the same thing, why would you want to be number 10,001? ~ Mark Cuban
    "for the discerning collector"

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Freakie_frog For This Useful Post:

Juliemay13 (05-11-2011),Skittles1101 (05-11-2011),stratus_020202 (05-11-2011),Vypyrz (05-11-2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,250 Times in 1,511 Posts

Re: where to put probe?

Quote Originally Posted by Kymberli View Post
    From what I've read elsewhere, you're supposed to put the thermostat probe directly on the heat tape between it and the tub. Also, I remember reading that you're not supposed to let the thermostat probe CORD run over the heat tape, only the probe itself. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.
    I'm not familiar with the rack he has, but there really is never a need to run the cord itself across the heat tape...I can't imagine it'd be good for the unit long term. I DID read however the other day to not use aluminum tape to tape the probe down because it can cause it to read higher than it is and can cause a hot spot, but I totally forget what they recommended to use instead...so I'm useless...damn gotta look that up again lol because I use aluminum tape
    2.0 Offspring, 1.1 Normal Ball Python, 1.0 Pastel Ball Python, 0.1 Albino Ball Python, 0.1 Pinstripe Ball Python, 0.1 Banana Ball Python, 1.0 Pied Ball Python, 1.0 Normal Hognose, 0.1 Veiled Chameleon, 0.0.1 G.pulchra, 0.1 P.metallica, 0.1 M.giganteus

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Freakie_frog View Post
    I'm sorry I read the thread title and had this flash of two Aliens stand over a naked man.. One says to the other one "Yea but where do you put the probe?"
    I know! But I couldn't figure out how to write it so that it DIDN'T come out sounding that way...
    Last edited by loonunit; 05-11-2011 at 02:38 PM.

Thanks
    Most people I know use aluminum tape. I would be interested to know why not to use it...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by knox View Post
    Most people I know use aluminum tape. I would be interested to know why not to use it...
    Others have pointed out aluminum conducts heat a little too well and can cause false readings.
    2.0 Normal ball pythons, Java and Nyoka
    0.0.1 Boa Constrictor Imperator, Hexadecimal
    0.0.1 Snow Corn, Yumi
    0.2 Mutt cats, Dizzy and Sumomo
    1.0 Shiba Inu, Hokkaido

Snake yawns are the cutest thing EVER

Thanks
    That's interesting.

My question - and I am not an electrical engineer - is that if the probe is taped to the Flex, and the aluminum tape is conducting heat from the tape around the probe, and there is at least the slightest bit of heat lost to the air via the conduction through the tape, how would there be false high readings? Is it because the probe is surrounded by heat, whereas the surface of the flex is losing heat more quickly to the air?

I take my temps from the tub itself, though. The probe on the flexx is just to get the temps where they need to be. So if I get a false high reading of 92 on the flexwatt itself, but the hot spot inside my tubs are 85 - it doesn't really matter.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by knox View Post
    That's interesting.

My question - and I am not an electrical engineer - is that if the probe is taped to the Flex, and the aluminum tape is conducting heat from the tape around the probe, and there is at least the slightest bit of heat lost to the air via the conduction through the tape, how would there be false high readings? Is it because the probe is surrounded by heat, whereas the surface of the flex is losing heat more quickly to the air?

I take my temps from the tub itself, though. The probe on the flexx is just to get the temps where they need to be. So if I get a false high reading of 92 on the flexwatt itself, but the hot spot inside my tubs are 85 - it doesn't really matter.
    From Spyder Robotics (Herpstat) owner:

"The reason aluminum tape shouldn't be used is because it acts like a heat sink to the ambient air. It gives the probe more surface area to the airflow going across it which makes its readings lower than if you use standard tape. Also the metal can act as a antenna for electrical interference with the data the sensor is providing (less common). Also if you are using aluminum tape on flexwatt you could be generating a hot spot that might be prone to failure. Plus its conductive so it could pose a shock hazard or increase the fire hazard should the tape ever fail.

-Dion"

14. The Following User Says Thank You to JohnNJ For This Useful Post:

loonunit (05-11-2011)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast