Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,020

2 members and 3,018 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,083
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, NopeRopeMD
    Thanks

Humidity Too High?

I have a 12qt tub set up for a ball that i should be getting soon. I was just wondering if a constant humidity around 70-80% is not good? The temps are 90-94 hot side ~80 on cool, and the water dish is on the hot side(could moving it to cold side help bring the humidity down a bit).

Thanks
    Tim

Thanks

Re: Humidity Too High?

Yep, move the water bowl to the cool side. Should go down quite a bit.
    --Becky--
    ?.? Normals, 1.0 100% Het Pied Classic Jungle, 1.0 Yellow Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Butterscotch Hypo, 0.1 100% Het VPI Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Yellow Hypo, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Yellowbellies, 0.1 YB Granite, 1.0 Black Pastel, 1.0 Lemon Pastel, 0.1 50% Possible Het Banded Albino, 0.1 Spider, 1.0 Fire, 0.2 Granite

Thanks

I don't know how big of a water bowl you have, but sometimes people put too big of a bowl for the enclosure which also causes high humidity. Not enough airflow also causes this with tubs...
    Last edited by kid_mustango02; 08-15-2008 at 11:36 PM. Reason: added info
    Too many snakes to be declared "sane" as far as my friends are concerned....

Thanks

Thanks for the advise, my water bowl is about 4in diameter and 2 in tall filled about 3/4 the way. I have holes in the lid, a bunch of smaller ones but is may put a few larger ones in the side. I also moved it to the cool side and opened the lid some. It seems to be dropping.

Thanks
    Tim

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Shortandfat View Post
    Thanks for the advise, my water bowl is about 4in diameter and 2 in tall filled about 3/4 the way. I have holes in the lid, a bunch of smaller ones but is may put a few larger ones in the side. I also moved it to the cool side and opened the lid some. It seems to be dropping.

Thanks
    Tim
    Be careful. Don't put too big of holes in the tub because your BP could escape and I definitely don't think leaving the lid open is a good idea.

Thanks

Ya, i am using a small drill bit(little smaller then a pencil), and i don't have my BP yet i am just making sure my parameters are good before i get him.

Thanks

The gallery seems to be down so I cant post a pic to help you out.

I wouldn't use a drill cause it can leave sharp edges or possibly crack the tub. I use one of the cheapy soldering irons from wal-mart and burn holes through. This leaves a nice rounded egde and makes less of a mess. Make sure its in a well ventilated area cause this makes a lot of smoke.

I'm not familiar with a tub using a lid since all of mine are in a rack, but I wouldn't add anymore holes to the lid and start on the sides of the tub. Maybe this will help trap the heat in.

Start with a few holes on each side, close the lid and let it sit overnight. Add holes as needed until you're at your target parameters. I wouldn't think a small tub like that would need a lot.
    Too many snakes to be declared "sane" as far as my friends are concerned....