Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,631

3 members and 1,628 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,532
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42

View Poll Results: Do u use U.T.H's

Voters
408. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, love them

386 94.61%
  • No, Stay away!!!!!

22 5.39%
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Under Tank Heaters?????

Thanks man...
    You ever have problems with the snake messing with the tape on the inside?
    ~Will

1.0 Argentine Boa
    2.1 Ball Pythons
    2.1 Kenyan Boas (1.1 anery)
    0.1 Dumeril's Boa
    1.0 Colombian RT Boa

Thanks

Nope, I put a bit of aspen over it or paper and they never mess with it. On cleaning day I just replace the tape with new tape no biggie since the stuff is so cheap

Thanks

Do Not use tape inside the enclosure! The only possible exception might be painters/artist tape since it has almost no stickiness. Even foil tape is a no-no!

The best way to set things up is to foil tape the UTH or Flexwatt to the bottom outside of the enclosure, then tape the thermoSTAT probe directly to the UTH. To secure the thermometer probe, place it under the substrate against the enclosure floor and cover with substrate and the warm side hide. The hide will hold the cord down and make it harder for the snake to move it.

IMHO, having to reposition a probe is a lot less trouble than having to take a snake to the vet after it got caught up in tape.
    And just because they've never encountered the tape before does not mean they won't later.
    **Adriana - White 'N Nerdy!**

1.0 BP 'SunSpot', 0.1 Corn 'Freya', 1.0 IJ BTS 'Topaz', 1.0 ND bunny 'Licorice'

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Argentra For This Useful Post:

Dianna (08-27-2009),hoax (02-23-2009),Patricia (07-18-2009)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Argentra View Post
    Do Not use tape inside the enclosure! The only possible exception might be painters/artist tape since it has almost no stickiness. Even foil tape is a no-no!

The best way to set things up is to foil tape the UTH or Flexwatt to the bottom outside of the enclosure, then tape the thermoSTAT probe directly to the UTH. To secure the thermometer probe, place it under the substrate against the enclosure floor and cover with substrate and the warm side hide. The hide will hold the cord down and make it harder for the snake to move it.

IMHO, having to reposition a probe is a lot less trouble than having to take a snake to the vet after it got caught up in tape.
    And just because they've never encountered the tape before does not mean they won't later.
    Do you put the Therm. probe between the tank and uth or on the bottom side(away from) the tank??
    0.0.1 Ball Python

Thanks

I tape the stat probe with foil tape to the underside of the UTH. It means setting the stat a little higher, but the stat settings don't really matter in the end...it's the thermoMeter or temp gun readings you want to follow.
    **Adriana - White 'N Nerdy!**

1.0 BP 'SunSpot', 0.1 Corn 'Freya', 1.0 IJ BTS 'Topaz', 1.0 ND bunny 'Licorice'

Thanks

I tape the stat probe with foil tape to the underside of the UTH. It means setting the stat a little higher, but the stat settings don't really matter in the end...it's the thermoMeter or temp gun readings you want to follow.
    Thank you very much as soon as I get my butt in gear and get this bigger tank done I will HAVE to post some pics. Ty again!!!!-Ray
    Last edited by scales owner; 08-18-2008 at 12:17 PM. Reason: Grammer
    0.0.1 Ball Python

Thanks

ReptileBasics.com
    ~Ryan~

0.1 Normal Ball Python (still thinking of a name, help me out!)

GREEN BAY PACKERS

R.I.P. Steve Irwin (2/22/62 - 9/4/06)

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rmune0750 For This Useful Post:

hoax (02-23-2009),stevebidw (03-14-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Daemonicus View Post
    Right now I only have UTHs for my Kenyans, but after reading this and a few other posts I was going to get them for the rest of my snakes. I had a quick question about the thermostat though: How exactly is the best (opinionated) way to set up the UTH, tstat,probe combo?
    I have both. Spyder Robotics Herpstat and a thermometer from walmart to regulate my temps.

I highly recommend Herpstat.
    1.0.0 Normal BP: Vincent Vega

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rmune0750 View Post
    ReptileBasics.com

I 2nd this!!!! great web site, I like it alot. I just ordered the 2X3 with a radiant heat panel, lighting, and a thermostat for under $500 with shipping. I have yet to received my order as I just ordered it and they must build it.

Some people might think $500 is too much for a snake but I look at it like this. I was using a 20L terrarium and it sucked I could not get my temps like I wanted and I couldn't keep my humidity right. Now granted I did not have all the info I needed. I did not have a T-stat, and the UTH just didn't do the job like I wanted, but that was my fault not of the fault of the equipment.

I hope you find a set up that works for you. Seeing as you already have several other snakes you probably have a pretty good grasp on what works for you.
    Pastel 0.1
    Mojo 1.0
    100% Het albino 1.1
    50% Het Albino 0.1
    -
    Do you like Texas BBQ? Do you want to know where I will be so you can get some?>>>>>My Catering Company Facebook Page<<<<<
    reptilebasics.com Rich is awesome - texas4x4.org -pirate4x4.com

12. The Following User Says Thank You to hoax For This Useful Post:

stevebidw (03-14-2011)

Thanks

I could cut my support emails in half with that statement. Ha! I don't normally recommend putting the probe directly on the uth because many people panic seeing the temp swings that happen when you do that. BUT.. if you understand that the swings aren't directly happening to the animal and realize you will have to modify your temp settings on the stat you can get some great results. The other method is to put the probe in the cage which gives it a little isolation and allows less temp fluxaution on the thermostats display. It will still have its swings initially too but will regulate within a hour.

I am not totally sold on the foil tape idea. One side of me says it will be great for evening out the temp produced from the uth but the other side worries about it aiding in a electrical fire. The reason I say that is I have seen a couple of examples in person of flexwatt that overtime degraded and burnt up some of the cross strips. In those cases the heat tape continues to work but lost those strips. Aluminum foil tape could still conduct electricity but could be too thin to handle the current and possibly heat up and short other areas or catch fire. Its quite possible the current wouldn't be enough to trip a fuse. I'm not saying it will do this but is just a thought of mine. Now I would feel a little better if it was a zoomed mat instead of flexwatt as they are covered with a thicker plastic layer. A little extra protection.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to spyderrobotics For This Useful Post:

smason0820 (05-04-2011),Spaniard (10-24-2008)

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast