Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,035

1 members and 3,034 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Thanks

Should I go with the Boa or try for something smaller?

I have been looking into a RTB for a while and am personally fine with the length but I was wondering if you think I'd be able to handle one. I'm 4'9 right now and would be getting a male baby (I'm also 12 so I'll keep growing. ) but I'm not sure if at my height, I would be able to control an 9 foot angry Boa. I do have two adults that reside in my house and would help me if needed but I wouldn't like to have to rely on them for every time I want to feed him or take him out of his cage.

Thanks.
    -Abbi [:

1.0.0 Chinese Water Dragon - Axel.
    0.1.0 Ball Python - Seether.
    1.0.0 Bearded Dragon - Doby.
    1.2.0 (plus strays I feed!) Cats - Lucky, Kitty, and Meggy.
    0.0.3 Fish - No namesssss.

9.0.0 Rats - Louie, Chessie, Elliot, Eddie, Loki, Andante, Stevie, Igby, and Zigby. (RIP Boys. <3)
    0.1.0 - Tremper Albino Leopard Gecko - Izzy (RIP.)
    1.3.0 - Angus, and the girlie trio. (RIP.)

Too many frozen mice, mealworms, and crickets to count! Don't you love reptiles?

Thanks

Re: Should I go with the Boa or try for something smaller?

Look into...

Hog Island
    Nicaraguan (or any central american)

Also I have heard that hypo boas are generally a little smaller?
    Mike Schultz
    Outback Reptiles
    mike@outbackreptiles.com
    703-365-2262

Thanks

Also keep in mind, you will grow with your Boa. When you first get it, it will be very small, small enough to just wrap around your hand. Over the next three to four years it will grow to adult size and your confidence will grow with it as will you at your age. Mine is a year old and only roughly 3 feet in length. It has doubled in diameter since Feb. and still sweet as can be. I think if you started out with an adult full size boa then yes, it would be too big for you right now. When an adult you probably will want someone around when you handle him if he is big and you will want to show him off anyway.

FWIW

Jeff

Thanks

Male boas stay much smaller than females. I would definitely get at BCI, or dwarf boa to start with; although, dwarf boas are quite a bit more expensive. Most BCI's have great temperaments, but do have a really good feeding response, so make sure you are careful while feeding. Most also do not mind to be handled often.

Make sure you are prepared to properly care for a boa. If so then I suggest getting a salmon boa. You can get them for a great price, and they are really nice looking.

Hope this helps, and good luck.
    Eddie Strong, Jr.

Thanks

Just having others around though isn't always the key. Are those adults (I assume they are your parents) comfortable about working with snakes? Will they be there to care for your snake if you are away at a school or social committment? Make sure and have those conversations before you commit to the years of care this boa would require. A male common boa though, conservatively fed isn't likely to cause you a lot of problems size wise.

My own son, Luke, got his male BCI when he was 14. His male boa was just a few months old and they've matured together over the past 3 years. Severus, the boa, isn't a big male and has never been powerfed so he's grown slowly. He was well socialized as a baby and we've continued that by encouraging our son and our entire family to handle Sev with gentle, firm and calm handling techniques. I'm thrilled to say this is a snake that has never nipped, heck he's never hissed at us LOL.

I would suggest you purchase your boa young but well started from a good boa breeder rather than a pet store. Pet stores ask a ridiculous amount for a common boa constrictor and do not really properly care for them or socialize them at all, let alone sex them correctly if at all. A good boa breeder I think would be your better bet. You and your parents could express any concerns and ask questions to that breeder before you make the final decision to buy a boa.
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by frankykeno View Post
    Just having others around though isn't always the key. Are those adults (I assume they are your parents) comfortable about working with snakes? Will they be there to care for your snake if you are away at a school or social committment? Make sure and have those conversations before you commit to the years of care this boa would require. A male common boa though, conservatively fed isn't likely to cause you a lot of problems size wise.

My own son, Luke, got his male BCI when he was 14. His male boa was just a few months old and they've matured together over the past 3 years. Severus, the boa, isn't a big male and has never been powerfed so he's grown slowly. He was well socialized as a baby and we've continued that by encouraging our son and our entire family to handle Sev with gentle, firm and calm handling techniques. I'm thrilled to say this is a snake that has never nipped, heck he's never hissed at us LOL.

I would suggest you purchase your boa young but well started from a good boa breeder rather than a pet store. Pet stores ask a ridiculous amount for a common boa constrictor and do not really properly care for them or socialize them at all, let alone sex them correctly if at all. A good boa breeder I think would be your better bet. You and your parents could express any concerns and ask questions to that breeder before you make the final decision to buy a boa.
    My mom doesn't like the reptiles very much but if I ever needed someone for some reason like trying to get him out of his cage, she would help. My step-dad though would be all for it. He LOVES helping me feed my Ball Python and he takes care of it on the weekends as well as my hamster and CWD when I am at my biological father's house. He would totally help me with handling and other things I would need. He has a real soft side for all animals.

I love that name, Severus! He sounds like a real sweetheart. This kind of stuff is what makes me wish I had a boa.

At the petstores around here they don't even sell Boas. All they see are Colubrids, and BPs. Actually, though they are overpriced, they take pretty good care of their snakes. Can't say the same for their lizards thouh.
    I would totally be buying either from Jimi (I looked at his site and my jaw dropped. His snakes are SO gorgeous and well-taken care of!!) or from our local reptile expo. I saw one or two people selling RTBs and they seemed to be in good health.

Thank you for your help!
    -Abbi [:

9.0.0 Rats - Louie, Chessie, Elliot, Eddie, Loki, Andante, Stevie, Igby, and Zigby. (RIP Boys. <3)

Too many frozen mice, mealworms, and crickets to count! Don't you love reptiles?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Wh00h0069 View Post
    Male boas stay much smaller than females. I would definitely get at BCI, or dwarf boa to start with; although, dwarf boas are quite a bit more expensive. Most BCI's have great temperaments, but do have a really good feeding response, so make sure you are careful while feeding. Most also do not mind to be handled often.

Make sure you are prepared to properly care for a boa. If so then I suggest getting a salmon boa. You can get them for a great price, and they are really nice looking.

Hope this helps, and good luck.

Dwarf Boa? I must say, I've never heard of that before! I'll have to look that up, it sounds awesome!

I am completely ready. Right now I'm just working to save up the money, have a 20 gallon set up for when he's little and I'm not going to buy the snake until I have enough money for a new enclosure, and some money for emergency vet situtations. I'm going to take this one slow. I got a little rushed into my Ball Python (the person was giving it away, they were going into the war) and I made some poor descions while trying to scramble it all together. Luckily he's doing good now. Finally got the humidity boosted up in his cage and I'm hoping wwe won't have another stuck shed.
    -Abbi [:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gothkenny View Post
    Dwarf Boa? I must say, I've never heard of that before! I'll have to look that up, it sounds awesome!

I am completely ready. Right now I'm just working to save up the money, have a 20 gallon set up for when he's little and I'm not going to buy the snake until I have enough money for a new enclosure, and some money for emergency vet situtations. I'm going to take this one slow. I got a little rushed into my Ball Python (the person was giving it away, they were going into the war) and I made some poor descions while trying to scramble it all together. Luckily he's doing good now. Finally got the humidity boosted up in his cage and I'm hoping wwe won't have another stuck shed.
    Sounds like you are going about this in the right way.

Hog Island and Corn Island are two of the smaller or "dwarf" boas. They are a little more expensive but very nice looking.
    ~Tashai
    5.10 ball pythons, 1.1 hog island boas,
    1.1 mexican black kings, 0.1 jungle carpet python 0.1.3 crested geckos

Visit my website: http://ti-imagery.com

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gothkenny View Post
    Wheres the clappy smiley when i need it?
    You deff have the right idea....

Now, just to give you a thought...
    here i am with my 8 foot female (unkown age - rescue)
    shes 25lbs, but as sweet as can be... (i also am holding my 5 foot girl, but she doesnt really make a diff when it comes to the pic)

^ im all icky from cleaning out the cage they came in, so ignore my nastayness lol

** but, im not trying to deter you from getting one, cause they are frickin awesome, just showing you a size thing... im 5'7 but really, you cant tell lol... shes a good size my 5 footer is my moms fave...
    2.0 Ball Pythons
    0.1 Red Tail Boas
    1.4 Rabbits
    0.1 German Shepherd

Thanks

how much do you know and how much exp do you have with different additudes from POed to chillin and how much exp do you have with rtbs?
    falling down an up escalator,now thats an acomplishment to brag about

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast