Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,074

1 members and 3,073 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Rats chewing tubs??

OK so I built a nice rat rack and the stupid rats are chewing through the tubs???? So far I haven't lost any rats yet. But it is becoming an issue like every two days I have a tub that they can escape from. How do I stop this??
    0.1 Spider Het Orange Ghost
    1.1 Yellow Belly Ball Python
    1.0 Pastel Ball Python
    1.1 100% Het Pied Ball Python
    1.1 100% Het Orange Ghost Ball Python
    0.7 Normal Ball Python

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Rats chewing tubs??

Quote Originally Posted by Hellix2494 View Post
    How do I stop this??
    You can provide chew blocks however even than there is no guarantee, rats are smart and once one start chewing his way out he most likely will always do and the other tub mate will too, so unless you get rid of the chewer(s) (putting them in a glass tank if you want to keep them) you might have to deal with that problem constantly.
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks

Post pictures of your rat rack. It is nearly impossible for my rats to chew on their rack due to the inability to get their teeth sunk into any point on my tubs. If there is a large gap between the mesh and the tub then they are able to bite into the tub. The tubs should fit snug. If the tubs have any kind of indentions or even a dent then the rats can get a hold of that too.

Thanks

Both posts are exactly what I was going to say! Chew blocks of wood, getting rid of known chewers, and making sure the tub is perfectly flush and a little tough to open with perfectly smooth surfaces.

Thanks

yeah there is quite a gap I may have to take and slide a piece of wood in there so the rats can't chew on the tubs.
    1.0 Pastel Ball Python
    0.7 Normal Ball Python

Thanks

Are there several groups of rats or just one group that consistently chews through the tub? I have one group of rats that constantly chewed a hole in the corner of their tub. After replacing the tub several times, I just let them chew a hole and left them there. To my surprise they quit chewing after the hole got to be about 2 inches in diameter and stayed in the tub. I've had them in the same tub for months now and they seem perfectly content with their hole and view.

However, I'm careful not to mix rats in that tub with any others because I don't want them teaching the others their new skill.

-Lawrence

Thanks

ahh I kind of had to mix the rats cause I didn't have anything else to put them in, I need to set my groups up and then leave them the way they are. The only problem I have that the males come out of the tub when there are babies present.

It is my females that keep eating through the tubs
    1.0 Pastel Ball Python
    0.7 Normal Ball Python

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by xdeus View Post
    Are there several groups of rats or just one group that consistently chews through the tub? I have one group of rats that constantly chewed a hole in the corner of their tub. After replacing the tub several times, I just let them chew a hole and left them there. To my surprise they quit chewing after the hole got to be about 2 inches in diameter and stayed in the tub. I've had them in the same tub for months now and they seem perfectly content with their hole and view.

However, I'm careful not to mix rats in that tub with any others because I don't want them teaching the others their new skill.

Yours probably come out at night and party! Of course they aren't going to mess up a good thing by letting YOU know what's going on!

"Price has very little to do with QUALITY. Quality stands on its own merit and doesn't need a hefty price tag to prove its worth."

Thanks

I bought one of those $2 cardboard tubes at the pet store and my rats quit chewing the lid to their tank that night...they go through a tube every month to 6 weeks...also give them alfalfa blocks....before that they had tried to chew through the metal mesh on their lid.
    ~Will

1.0 Argentine Boa
    2.1 Ball Pythons
    2.1 Kenyan Boas (1.1 anery)
    0.1 Dumeril's Boa
    1.0 Colombian RT Boa

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by broadude View Post
    Yours probably come out at night and party! Of course they aren't going to mess up a good thing by letting YOU know what's going on!
    LOL. Probably, but as long as they go back in during the day I'm happy. I've actually had a few that would chew a hole in the bottom of the tub. Those would escape to steal the food from the other bins, but they would always come back as well. I guess they figure they have a secure home and all the food they could eat, why risk the scary real world?

-Lawrence

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast