Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,386

5 members and 3,381 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,537
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Starting a mouse colony

With our plans to add several snakes this season, we have decided that we should start our own rodent colony. Since we have corns and BPs, we are going to start with mice.

I know they can be a little more difficult than rats. What I remember from what I've read on that subject can be summed up as give them an opaque sided enclosure, leave them alone, and they'll produce. Does that sound right?

I've got a few specific questions.

1) - If I get weanling mice, how long do I need to keep the females & males separate until they are old enough to breed them?

2) - Once they start breeding, how long until I can expect babies? I read that gestation is about 20 days, but how long will it typically take for them to get pregnant in the first place?

3) - About how many babies can I expect on average in each litter?

I'm sure I'll have more questions as I try to plan this out, but that's it for now.
    Casey

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Starting a mouse colony

What I remember from what I've read on that subject can be summed up as give them an opaque sided enclosure, leave them alone, and they'll produce. Does that sound right?
    Security is definitely important when it come to mice, so is healthy diet.

1) - If I get weanling mice, how long do I need to keep the females & males separate until they are old enough to breed them?
    I breed my mice at about 10/12 weeks

2) - Once they start breeding, how long until I can expect babies? I read that gestation is about 20 days, but how long will it typically take for them to get pregnant in the first place?
    Usually from the day I put the male in it takes about 21-26 days (gestation is 21-23 days)

3) - About how many babies can I expect on average in each litter?
    I average 14/15 babies per litters however the average is generally 6 to 12 babies
    Deborah Stewart