Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,914

3 members and 2,911 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable

View Poll Results: how much do you handle your ball python?

Voters
638. You may not vote on this poll
  • daily

242 37.93%
  • couple times a week

295 46.24%
  • once a week

79 12.38%
  • more than a weeks time

22 3.45%
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
    Thanks

Re: how many times do you handle your snake?

Quote Originally Posted by reptiman93 View Post
    ok i understand now they dont like being held. doesnt hurt to believe though
    Of course not!

To GMC:
    Haha, they tend to do that a lot don't they.. it's good when they are out of a ball because then you know they are more relaxed, even if they are trying to get away.

Thanks

exactly, sometimes when i get him out, he just never un coils, so back he goes untill he is ready, usually a day or two later. as long as you let the snake be a snake, its all good.

Thanks

ya mine is never in a ball. it was for a day. but now it just likes to sit there for a minute. i love balls they are so calm
    REPTIMAN(T+G+K)

Thanks

And Santa Clause doesn't exist either by the way!! All these scientific minds around here...sheeesh

Love is just a chemical induced feeling in the brain too right? I think alcohol speeds it up.
    Too many snakes to be declared "sane" as far as my friends are concerned....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kid_mustango02 View Post
    And Santa Clause doesn't exist either by the way!! All these scientific minds around here...sheeesh

Love is just a chemical induced feeling in the brain too right? I think alcohol speeds it up.
    Uh, what?
    Alcohol is a depressant. It doesn't speed anything up. It shuts down your brain.
    What does this have to do with anything? Please don't post off-topic things.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by blackcrystal22 View Post
    Snakes do not get enjoyment from being held.
    i must argue this to a point...
    i understand they may not get "enjoyment" out of being "held" but
    exactly where does my 5 foot female JCP fit into this? i open up her cage, and first thing she does is clime up my arm, i never have to actually pick her up..

ponder it, not to be argumentative, but i do believe that snakes dont always get stressed out when being handled... my ball python for example, i have had him 3 years, if i set him down on the floor and sit down close to him, he comes over to me and climes up on my lap -- wouldnt you say this means he feels secure? seeing as he always finds a nice spot around my arm or leg to chill? i mean, im just trying to spark interesting debate/conversation..

just my $0.02

---also, im not saying that i handle them daily, i dont, only every couple days - tops once a week, sept the female JCP, i let her out just about every other night if not more...
    2.0 Ball Pythons
    0.1 Red Tail Boas
    1.4 Rabbits
    0.1 German Shepherd

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ChicaPiton519 View Post
    i must argue this to a point...
    i understand they may not get "enjoyment" out of being "held" but
    exactly where does my 5 foot female JCP fit into this? i open up her cage, and first thing she does is clime up my arm, i never have to actually pick her up..

ponder it, not to be argumentative, but i do believe that snakes dont always get stressed out when being handled... my ball python for example, i have had him 3 years, if i set him down on the floor and sit down close to him, he comes over to me and climes up on my lap -- wouldnt you say this means he feels secure? seeing as he always finds a nice spot around my arm or leg to chill? i mean, im just trying to spark interesting debate/conversation..

just my $0.02

---also, im not saying that i handle them daily, i dont, only every couple days - tops once a week, sept the female JCP, i let her out just about every other night if not more...
    Usually it is stressful, especially when the handler is inexperienced.
    But like I said before, they get accustomed to not minding handling. They may enjoy your warmth, or your security sure, but can we really know? Probably not.
    When your JCP climbs on your arm, it may be because he knows that when he gets to go out, he gets to slither around more and exercise and has associated this with handling, which naturally and instinctively is probably enjoyable.
    Just my thoughts. :]

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by blackcrystal22 View Post
    Usually it is stressful, especially when the handler is inexperienced.
    But like I said before, they get accustomed to not minding handling. They may enjoy your warmth, or your security sure, but can we really know? Probably not.
    When your JCP climbs on your arm, it may be because he knows that when he gets to go out, he gets to slither around more and exercise and has associated this with handling, which naturally and instinctively is probably enjoyable.
    Just my thoughts. :]
    true true
    even tho im sure she gets enough dang exercise when shes thudding around her cage at night lol!

and yes, your right, with someone inexperienced it can cause stress, although, i have learned how to read (most of) my snakes and how they act when they are in an uncomfortable situation... lol... its hard not to be able to when you feel their whole body tense up and they start trying to go up my shirt... ahha
    2.0 Ball Pythons
    0.1 Red Tail Boas
    1.4 Rabbits
    0.1 German Shepherd

Thanks

This is certainly a subject of great debate. I think as pet parents, we like to give our snakes human emotions. I know I do. But in all reality, no one knows what is going on in that mind of theirs. In my opinion, I think snakes can appreciate more than we give them credit for, and are most definitely more intelligent than some like to think. All of these opinions are just that, opinions. No one has learned to speak snake, no one has asked a snake "hey, do you like this?" Sure, it is easy to tell what they clearly don't like, and a good owner we can tell when they are unhealthy or stressed out. But other than that, who knows? I will continue to believe that our snakes like us, recognize us, and enjoy what we provide for them. And if that is your fancy, you should feel free to think that too. Remember that old saying about fish? Fish are yellow-brained and can feel no pain... Who ever asked a fish if something hurt? There are no absolutes in this world, and everyone has room to learn something. The most important thing is to make sure that your snake is happy as well, not just you.

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to kittyrodriguez For This Useful Post:

FaulerHund (10-02-2016),oliverstwist (06-23-2009),Pip (07-15-2010),RockyTop (02-04-2010),steveboos (12-13-2009),Vesta (09-09-2009)

Thanks

everyones right. no one knows if the snake likes it or not. but i think a snake can trust you and feel secure. hey, maybe i am wrong but i feel trust just by some of the snakes actions
    REPTIMAN(T+G+K)

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast