Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,855

1 members and 2,854 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma

Hybrid View

Thanks

She popped!!!!!!

Finally my one girl popped out 9 babies... 2 of which were still born.... Not too bad for her first litter... Should I leave the 2 still borns alone or take them out? I dont want to cause her to kill the rest of the babies...

I think the second girl is starting to show... so hopefully we have another litter in a weeks time! Its amazing how helpful shes being to the one who had the litter today...

Heres 2 quick pics I snapped...

Thanks

Re: She popped!!!!!!

Pull the dead ones. Watch the mother and the other adults though that they don't race over and bite you. They tend to be very protective of their young. I've never had an ASF female eat her litter but if you are concerned she's a nervous animal just toss in an empty small cardboard box with an entrance hole cut in and she'll move her litter into it if she wants. They don't seem to have the tendency to eat their litters like mice do - at least mine don't seem to.
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by frankykeno View Post
    Pull the dead ones. Watch the mother and the other adults though that they don't race over and bite you. They tend to be very protective of their young. I've never had an ASF female eat her litter but if you are concerned she's a nervous animal just toss in an empty small cardboard box with an entrance hole cut in and she'll move her litter into it if she wants. They don't seem to have the tendency to eat their litters like mice do - at least mine don't seem to.
    Whats funny is she gave birth inside her hide box (99 cents cereal bowl from walmart) and then moved them to the corner of the tank...

Thanks for the advice!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by frankykeno View Post
    Interesting and something I was going to start a thread on. In 3 of my 6 colonies I have found multiple dead babies. Sometimes pinks, sometimes almost weans that have had their heads chewed off. I have never seen this in regular rats. Has anyone else had these problems? I give them a hide and I try to wean the babies as soon as possible (not sure if I'm doing that at the right time since they grow so slowly compared to reg rats). I am running 1.3 in all the colonies except one which is 1.5 (and has experienced no cannibalism).

Thanks

If I wanted to add a 3rd female to this 1.2 group... is it too late?

Probally right?

BPnet Senior Member Mike Cavanaugh's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,022 Times in 458 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JasonG View Post
    If I wanted to add a 3rd female to this 1.2 group... is it too late?

Probally right?
    Too late to add a new one to the tank. If you want a third female, just keep one of the female babies in the tank thru adulthood. She will breed with Dad without any issues.

Quote Originally Posted by jglass38 View Post
    Interesting and something I was going to start a thread on. In 3 of my 6 colonies I have found multiple dead babies. Sometimes pinks, sometimes almost weans that have had their heads chewed off. I have never seen this in regular rats. Has anyone else had these problems? I give them a hide and I try to wean the babies as soon as possible (not sure if I'm doing that at the right time since they grow so slowly compared to reg rats). I am running 1.3 in all the colonies except one which is 1.5 (and has experienced no cannibalism).
    I have never had a headless baby just laying around. with each birth there will normally be one or two babies that doesn't make it... either born dead, or the mom thinks its not healthy enough. they get eaten.

[QUOTE=frankykeno;850310]Pull the dead ones. QUOTE]

I disagree. It is gross I know but, leave the dead ones. They will get eaten. Very good for the momma. Plus going into the tank at that point is just asking for trouble (posssibly more dead babies)
    Mikey Cavanaugh
    (904) 318-3333

Thanks

Hmmm interesting. I don't see the difference though since my ASF's are used to my hands being in there every day to feed them (I don't use a feeder thing) so perhaps they just don't freak if I do a fast removal of a couple of stillborns. Other than trying to get in a nip at me, they really don't seem to care.

Not sure what to tell you Jamie. The only time I had that issue it was one specific female doing it but once she had her own litter to tend to she stopped. We were going to feed her off but wanted to wait till she delivered her litter. Once she had them though she stopped picking on babies so perhaps she was just confused by them until she had her own (she was the last of the quartet of females in her group to give birth for the first time).
    ~~Joanna~~