Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,217

2 members and 3,215 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

Changing a Helix to grounded plug???

I was wondering if any of you would know how to change a Hellix that is not grounded to a grounded plug? If so let me know I have two I need to change. I have metal snake racks and need them grounded.

Thanks
    Alan

Thanks

Re: Changing a Helix to grounded plug???

The helix has a grounded plug option with it. The best way to ground your rack is by splicing the plug connector on the helix to a three prong plug and using the ground prong to a regular wire that connects straight to the rack. On the other hand you could just plug the Helix into a GFI outlet and if the current between the ingoing compared to outgoing is not equal it will trip the GFI.

Thanks

Yeah but I have the non-grounded ones. I thought you could change the plugs in the back of the t-stat.. So if I splice a 3 prong plug onto the helix and then ground it to the rack that'll make it not shock me or the snakes?? Thanks for the reply glory...

Alan

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by grunt_11b View Post
    Yeah but I have the non-grounded ones. I thought you could change the plugs in the back of the t-stat.. So if I splice a 3 prong plug onto the helix and then ground it to the rack that'll make it not shock me or the snakes?? Thanks for the reply glory...

Alan
    Yes. You splice a three prong plug to replace the 2 prong plug that you plug into the wall.

Instead of splicing you could just
    1. take a wire and attach to the metal rack
    2. attach ring lug to other end of wire
    3. Screw the ring lug under the little screw that holds the face plate on the wall outlet.

As long as your home is wired correctly your metal rack is now grounded.

If you do not know if your home is wired properly you can pick up a checker at a hardware store for a like $15.

The best protection would be a GFCI outlet. You can actually buy a plug in version (not sure of the cost as I just install them when I need them) instead of hacking up a perfectly good T-stat or doing things half way.

Thanks

Thanks for the reply. The wire from the rack to the actual wall outlet is what the guy from Helix said to do. I think thats the route I'm going to take. He said ground it that way and then get a 2/3 adapter and use it too. Oh I was going to ask what a gfci outlet is?? Again thanks for the help bro..

Alan

Thanks

It is short for ground fault circuit interupter. Basically all current into a device should leave the device. If it is not then it is going to ground someplace else. (like through your rack.) If this outlet detects more current leaving than coming back it pops the circuit off. A ground wire is nice protection, but the current in the circuits hot leg has to increase to the rating of the breaker before it trips which is normally 15 or 20 Amps. If you have 5 Amps going to ground through your rack it still is not enough to trip the breaker and if you become a better conductor to ground for some reason like you are soaking wet and in contact with another grounded tool when you touch the rack that current can go through you. With the GFCI, if memory serves me right, if you get an imbalance of current between hot and neutral of 100 milli Amps or .1 Amps it pops off. Most current that can flow through you is 100 milli Amps with GFCI. With ground wire you could get as many Amps as it takes to trip the breaker before the circuit shuts off or worse you could get 5-10 Amps and be locked on (unable to let go) and still not be able to draw enough current to trip the breaker while you stand there and start cooking.

Thanks

Glory is pretty much bang on

This is why they are By-law required in kitchens and bathrooms pretty much everywhere I think.

(or code i guess)

They are also becoming more popular in garages, bedrooms etc, pretty much everywhere if you can afford to have one then GET one. could easily save your life

Thanks
    Thanked 3,727 Times in 1,257 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by grunt_11b View Post
    Thanks for the reply. The wire from the rack to the actual wall outlet is what the guy from Helix said to do. I think thats the route I'm going to take. He said ground it that way and then get a 2/3 adapter and use it too. Oh I was going to ask what a gfci outlet is?? Again thanks for the help bro..

Alan
    I was having my non-grounded herpstat shut itself off whenever I closed a drawer on my metal Freedom Breeder. I tried grounding the rack - everything. When I switched the outlet to the GFI it tripped constantly.

Dion from Herpstat was very quick to upgrade my t-stat to a grounded plug and it solved all the issues. My advice, go with the GFI outlet AND the grounded plug.

Thanks

If you're not good with wiring another option is to pick up a $15 computer surge protector. A good surge protector will kill itself if it detects a current spike and they all come with 3 prong plugs. Plus most have lights on them that tell you if the plug they're plugged into is grounded or not.

Hell, even if you do have everything wired for 3 prong plugs you should have ALL your equipment on surge protectors anyways. And by surge protector I don't mean power strip, they don't do jack ****. I'm talking about something like this. That way if something happens your equipment doesn't fry.

I have the one that I linked and it works like a champion. Lots of people who wrote reviews on that thing did so after it saved $thousands worth of electronics.