Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,827

2 members and 2,825 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Frog Advice for a Beginner

I'd like to please take a moment to pick the brains of those of you who have been keeping frogs for awhile.

I've been keeping reptiles for about ten years, but lately have been considering frogs as nice 'eyes-only' pets for our very young children. However, I have no idea which breeds are good for viewing (i.e. diurnal breeds), how to set up a frog habitat, or anything else about keeping frogs for that matter.

Let me pose a few specific questions:

1. What species do you recommend? I'd like a colorful species that doesn't grow very large, specifically, frogs about an inch long fully grown would be excellent. I'd like them to be diurnal, but I'd also like frogs that sing at night, (frogsong would go well with the cricketsong already permeating my home on account of the bearded dragon) but I don't know if I can have it both ways.

2. For the species you recommend, what sort of heat, light, and humidity levels are needed and what sort of initial setup do you recommend? I'm invisioning a clay substrate layer to maintain a water table, then mesh, moss, and finally lots and lots of plants.

3. For the species you recommend, how many individuals can be housed together in a single 12x12x12 ExoTerra vivarium?

That should be about it, and I imagine with this initial information I can do some research myself on the web. Thanks in advance for all your wonderful advice.

- The Green Man

Thanks

Re: Frog Advice for a Beginner

1. What species do you recommend? I'd like a colorful species that doesn't grow very large, specifically, frogs about an inch long fully grown would be excellent. I'd like them to be diurnal, but I'd also like frogs that sing at night, (frogsong would go well with the cricketsong already permeating my home on account of the bearded dragon) but I don't know if I can have it both ways.
    Red eyed tree frogs are a great singing smaller frog. Also, there are pacmans and pixies that everyone loves!

The rest, I don't know.

Thanks

I like fire-bellied toad frogs ( Bombina orientalis - scientific name ). I have 4 in a 10 gallon tank. They are very easy to take care of because they do not have very strict heat or humidity requirements. They must have some form of water pool because they like to float in it. I use a small glass bowl with cypress bedding built up around it so they can get in and out easily. Mine are a dark greenish brown color but have a bright orange red belly. They are dirunal and make little chirps that sound like birds off in a distance. They are 1-2 inches and are one of the cheaper frogs. I think I paid $6 per frog. They are definitely one to consider.

Thanks

After a lot of research, I definitely think the fire-bellies are the best choice. Thank you very much for your input.