Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,482

3 members and 3,479 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Question Temp UTH =/= temp substrate, help !

Hi,

I've been looking for this kind of information all over the forum, but couldn't find a proper answer..

I have a UTH (Zoomed) and ReptiBark substrate. My problem is that the temperature at the bottom of the tank (on the glass heated by the UTH) is 10-15 degrees more than the temp on top of the substrate. I placed the thermostat probe on the top of the substrate and, to get the temp high enough at this spot (~92), the temp of the UTH has to be something like 105° !

I can't figure out how to get a good temp on the top of the substrate without having to raise the temp of the UTH so high, 'cause I'm afraid it's gonna burn my snake..

What do you guys think about that ? Any advices ?

Thanks a lot

Thanks

Re: Temp UTH =/= temp substrate, help !

You could switch to Aspen since it is a thinner substrate or paper. Did you just try and put less bark in over the hotspot, that way you would not have to build up as much heat to get the top warm

Thanks

You have too much substrate and it's too thick. BP's really only need enough substrate to just cover the floor of the cage.

Also, when you say thermostat probe do you mean thermoMETER to measure the temps? You need both the thermoSTAT and the meter to properly assure correct temps.

You should be measuring the temps at the glass. You want to know the hottest temp and keep that around 93-95. Then you want the substrate to be thin enough to make the temp at the surface 91-93. Adjust the type and depth of the substrate until you get that difference. Even if your snake 'never' burrows down, they still could. You want them never to encounter too high temps no matter where they are.
    **Adriana - White 'N Nerdy!**

1.0 BP 'SunSpot', 0.1 Corn 'Freya', 1.0 IJ BTS 'Topaz', 1.0 ND bunny 'Licorice'

Thanks

I already tried aspen, but it doesn't make a lot of difference.

Actually my thermostat also tells me the current temperature, so I only put this one. But I think I'm going to try like you said, and adjust the thermostat to get the right temp on the substrate. It'll make a really thin layer, I hope is ok.

And, just to know, has anyone tried not putting any substrate at all ? Just the snake laying on the glass ? Maybe it doesn't make a big difference with newspaper, as soon as it's hot enough...
    Just asking, I won't do that.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Hi,

No substrate = poop and pee swishing all around your poor snake.

Best advice I can give is the same as everyone else - adjust the thermostat till the surface temp of the glass is around 93-95f and then adjust the depth of the substrate till the surface temp of the substrate is 90-93f.

dr del
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DamienF View Post
    I already tried aspen, but it doesn't make a lot of difference.

Actually my thermostat also tells me the current temperature, so I only put this one. But I think I'm going to try like you said, and adjust the thermostat to get the right temp on the substrate. It'll make a really thin layer, I hope is ok.

And, just to know, has anyone tried not putting any substrate at all ? Just the snake laying on the glass ? Maybe it doesn't make a big difference with newspaper, as soon as it's hot enough...
    Just asking, I won't do that.
    If I understand you correctly that means your using the thermostat probe to measure temps INSIDE the cage rather than directly on the heat source.

That is NOT what the t-stat was built to do. It will shorten the lifespan of the UTH as well as if water or urates gets on your t-stat probe, the temperatures will spike- cooking your snake.
    Use the T-stat probe directly taped to the UTH and a separate thermometer probe in the enclosure.

If the UTH has to be up to 105 to get the lowest temperature of 92 in the cage, then theres not a whole lot of problems with that. My t-stat reads 104 and gets temperatures perfect on the inside of the enclosure.

Thanks

The problem I have with this technique, is that the layer is very thin. So I think there a possibility that the BP move a bit this layer, and touch the glass.
    Is it harmful to the snake if he lays on the glass with a temp at 95° ?

Could newspaper be a better solution to my problem ?

Thanks

Thanks

As long as the glass stays around 92-94 there should be no problem if he lays on the glass.

Mine moves his substrate around alot so he lays on the bottom most of the time. I just make sure the bottom of the cage is where my thermometer is reading to make sure it does not get to hot.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DamienF View Post
    The problem I have with this technique, is that the layer is very thin. So I think there a possibility that the BP move a bit this layer, and touch the glass.
    Is it harmful to the snake if he lays on the glass with a temp at 95° ?

Could newspaper be a better solution to my problem ?

Thanks
    Lower it by one degree and that will be perfect for him. It shouldn't hurt him either.
    I have a lot of success of using papertowels with aspen on top. However, they do decide to go underneath the paper towels a lot of the time.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Hi,

I hate to be the one to break it to you but at the moment there's nothing stopping her moving your thick layer and sitting on 105f either.

Given the choice 95 is a lot better.

I use newspaper on all of mine without issue - and the fact you replace it all when she makes a mess I like as well.

dr del
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast