Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,222

2 members and 1,220 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Going to Try again

We do ok with rat breeding. We are currently trying to expand the colony and get some kind of organizing done so that we have a constant supply of feeders.

Of course, I hope to try my hand at corn snake breeding this year, and that means I'll need a lot of mouse pinkies and fuzzies and so on. (thats if I succeed at breeding my corns.) We are trying to become self sufficiant with our feeders as the cost of driving to the store (20-30min drive both ways) and the cost of the actual feeders is driving us nuts.

So, I want to try my hand at breeding mice again. I want a single breeding group for now, perhaps one male to three or four females. What size enclosure should I provide them? I also want to provide them with stimulation like a wheel and things to chew and climb on. What would you recommend? I saw a post about mouse racks and since I only want one breeding group for now, a rack is too much. I saw a picture of some tubs that had screen attached to them to provide ventilation and things like that. Could anyone explain what size tub I would need for a 1.4 group and how to go about converting it into a mouse enclosure?

Oh, when using such an enclosure, are there any problems with escape? I will provide them with plenty to chew on, but I can't afford to have escaped mice.
    Under Construction.....

Thanks

Re: Going to Try again

Just use a ten gallon. It is escape proof( as long as the screen top is secured on) It will hold alot of mice and if you run out of room they are very cheap and you can get another one. I did not provide anything to chew on, but they use the wheel like it is their job!
    - Matt

Come here little guy. You're awfully cute and fluffy but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat

Thanks

I would like to stay away from tanks as they are very heavy and a nightmare to clean (corners are my enemy!). Tubs are lightweight and easy to clean. Not to mention, my cats can't get into them. We had a 1.1 living in a tub for a time, but I eventually fed them off before they bred.
    Under Construction.....

Thanks

This is what I use for my 1.3 group:

I believe it's a Rubbermaid 'large' tub, about 26x16x10. It's been a while since I bought any, so I can't exactly remember what they are.

I'm getting into rat breeding, but since I, too, wish to breed corns (and still have three young females) I still need the mice. They do great in there, and as you can see they have a nice wheel and igloo house as well as chew toys. With all that in there, I haven't yet had any tub chewing even by the rowdy little hoppers:
    **Adriana - White 'N Nerdy!**

1.0 BP 'SunSpot', 0.1 Corn 'Freya', 1.0 IJ BTS 'Topaz', 1.0 ND bunny 'Licorice'

Thanks

How do you attach the wire? We have some left over hardwire cloth from when we made the rat rack. Will this work?

Oh and can the mice eat the same lab block as the rats? I use Mazuri Lab block for the rats.
    Under Construction.....

Thanks

Yep, my mice and rats all eat the same food: Becky's mix with Mazuri block and Science Diet senior dog food. They do really well on it.

And the hardware cloth wire is attached by weaving 22 gauge wire through holes in the tub. You can barely see that in the pics. Works great, no too hard to do, and when you tug the wire with pliers it's a good tight hold. Just remember to use 1/4" hardware cloth for mice.

Thanks

Will do. Thanks so much! I have an extra 10g I can use for now and then I can make a mouse tub this weekend. I'm hoping to pick up the mice today.
    Under Construction.....

Thanks

Just from my experience, the mice seem to waste ALOT less if they are fed grower hog feed(non-medicated). I mix the hog feed with puffed rice and wheat, crispy rice, total flakes, a bit of Wellness Senior dog food or Drs. Foster & Smith Senior dog food, and some old fashioned oatmeal. They dig into this and it's not wasted at all, compared to the peed on lab blocks.

Hog feed is about $10 per 50lbs. I wouldn't recommend feeding the rats this. Too high in protein. The mice need the protein to not cannibalize their young, the little snots.
    --Becky--
    ?.? Normals, 1.0 100% Het Pied Classic Jungle, 1.0 Yellow Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Butterscotch Hypo, 0.1 100% Het VPI Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Yellow Hypo, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Yellowbellies, 0.1 YB Granite, 1.0 Black Pastel, 1.0 Lemon Pastel, 0.1 50% Possible Het Banded Albino, 0.1 Spider, 1.0 Fire, 0.2 Granite

Thanks

Thats one of the reasons I stopped breeding mice. They kept eating their babies. I got tired of it. I will check for the hogfeed next time I go in for bedding.
    Under Construction.....

Thanks

Heh... yeah it really sucks that they do that. But cool info on the hog feed thing... I'm not sure where I could get some around here, but I'll look into it for the mice. Thanks Becky.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast