Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,729

0 members and 2,729 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Question about Color

My roommates friend brought over her momma rat for us to see and show us her babies. (why she wants to breed for feeders when she only has one ball python is beyond me) Anyway, out of the litter, there were several berkshires and three interesting ones. They are white with these grayish tan markings just before their tail. No other markings on the body, just there right before their bums. Its a very faded marking but very pretty. I was wondering if anyone knew what this kind of marking is called and are there any genetic problems linked to it? I can't get a picture until they are weaned (they are just opening their eyes). I told her I wanted one as soon as they are old enough to be weaned.
    Under Construction.....

Thanks

Re: Question about Color

Sounds like a marked (possibly hooded) siamese. They will most likely lose the color as they get to weanling size and you may only see it on their nose.

Thanks

I didn't get a chance to see what color the mother is. She was quite pissed that we wanted to see her babies and would not come out of hiding. (other than to bite my roommate's friend.)

If it is siamese, will there be any genetic issues that are linked to the color? Just wondering because I know that certain kinds of marked rats have a risk of genetic problems. I don't want to introduce any genetic issues into my colony. (And of course the little rat will be QT for a while before being introduced to the colony.)
    Under Construction.....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jay_Bunny View Post
    I didn't get a chance to see what color the mother is. She was quite pissed that we wanted to see her babies and would not come out of hiding. (other than to bite my roommate's friend.)

If it is siamese, will there be any genetic issues that are linked to the color? Just wondering because I know that certain kinds of marked rats have a risk of genetic problems. I don't want to introduce any genetic issues into my colony. (And of course the little rat will be QT for a while before being introduced to the colony.)
    Siamese doesn't have any problems that are directly linked to the gene. (That I know of)

Thanks

Ok, thanks. I will try and find out the background of the mother and father before deciding to include the little one into my breeding plans. There are three of them, all boys I think.

If they are indeed siamese, this is wonderful. I always wanted one. I also want rex and hairless. (Hairless rats freak my fiance out though. )
    Under Construction.....

Thanks

Off the subject question:

How do you get an agouti self? I have two agouti hooded females. The older female just had a litter of six. The litter consisted of 3 agouti hoodeds, 1 black hooded, and a cream hooded. I can't remember what the sixth was as I fed it off early. She was bred to a black hooded. So how would I go about producing an agouti self?
    Under Construction.....

Thanks

Hairless rats do not make good feeder breeders. They should definitely be left for just pets. They have high instances of not lactating, and they also need higher protein and warmer environments to make up for the lack in fur.

Self is the non existance of a marked gene. It's the default template I suppose you could call it. If there is any marked genes or modifiers in the parents, chances are you will never see a self.

Here's a page with some explanations of markers and modifiers
    http://www.curiosityrats.com/geneticsmarkings.html

Thanks

Well poo. I love agouti selfs. Aren't they the "wild type" rat? The original wild rat color? Or something like that.

And I would have the hairless purely as pets. I have come to love rats as pets. One of our agouti hoodeds is about 4-5 weeks old. She was destined to be a feeder until we found out we had bought one too many. My roommate claimed her and named her Cinnamon. She is now a shoulder rat that loves to come out and play with your hair and sleep in your collar.
    Under Construction.....

Thanks

Yup, agouti self is the wild rat color. It's ok, I finally got my own share of agoutis, and I looooove em!

Thanks

I really am going to have to get some rats from you. Yours are always so adorable. Oh! And I almost forgot, after seeing those pictures of the blues, I have fallen in love with blues. They have a blue self at Petsmart that I was almost convinced to get, but they are $18 each.
    Under Construction.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast