Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,339

2 members and 2,337 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Goldfish + Tropical!?

I don't know if anyone here would know.. but has anyone put a goldfish with tropical fish? Tropical fish need a heated aquarium and goldfish don't.. so does the heated water kill the goldfish?

Thanks

Re: Goldfish + Tropical!?

Considering that goldfish can live in temps up to and possibly beyond 91 degrees... I don't think it would be a problem.

I know of plenty of people who put one or two goldies in with their tropicals to take care of snails (goldies are Awesome snail eaters). I myself used to have a mixed tank like that.

Just remember, tho, that goldies are one of the messiest fish out there and you'll need good filtration. I would say a good filter that's rated so your gallonage falls right in the middle of the range at least.
    **Adriana - White 'N Nerdy!**

1.0 BP 'SunSpot', 0.1 Corn 'Freya', 1.0 IJ BTS 'Topaz', 1.0 ND bunny 'Licorice'

Thanks

We had put two goldfish in with our tank- and there was problems. They seem to be.. More dirty than "regualr" fish, ad they began to kinda like, pollute the tank and it killed a few fish. So then we started cleaning the tank a lot more often then we ever had to- and one died, so we took the other out and put it in a fish bowl, where it lives for five years (maybe would have been more- but there was a bit of a grousome accident...).

Later on we talked to a guy at a really good fish store, and he said that it all happend because "normal" fish can not handle how dirty goldfish are, and that goldfish have trouble surviving in a clean enviorment that "normal" fish thrive in.., Weird, but it seems to make since with my own and toehrs exsperiances that I know of.
    Jessika

0.1 NERD Coral Glow
    1.0 Harliquin Great Dane, Gambit
    0.2 Cats, Mojo-Jojo and Rebel
    A hubby that isn't a fan of reptiles but is learning to love them, and a baby girl named Eve 😊❤

Thanks

Yep, hence the need for a really good filter and regular cleaning. Goldfish are NASTY as far as wastes, and their wastes contain more bad chemistry than that of almost any other fish. When keeping them with others, you have to make sure to keep things clean...even when the water doesn't look bad, clean it up. That's the challenge with a seemingly no work fish.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Argentra View Post
    Yep, hence the need for a really good filter and regular cleaning. Goldfish are NASTY as far as wastes, and their wastes contain more bad chemistry than that of almost any other fish. When keeping them with others, you have to make sure to keep things clean...even when the water doesn't look bad, clean it up. That's the challenge with a seemingly no work fish.
    I have a 20gallon fishstyle tank with a filter thats capable of filtering 20-60gallons of water so I think I have a good filter for it. :]

We only have one goldfish, and would it eat a large snail if we wanted one? :[[ They can be good algae eaters and we wanted to get one of those + some algae eating sucker fish.

Thanks guys!

Thanks

They're better at snails then at algae, and unless the snail fits in their mouth...expanded, they won't bother it. I had a few mystery snails in with some small goldies and they never touched them. My large plecos on the other hand sucked them right out of their shells.

Thanks

I had two goldfish in my tropical tank for a little while...until they started eating the little fish! An outside pond was built for them and there they stay; happy, healthy and having babies galore!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Clementine_3 View Post
    I had two goldfish in my tropical tank for a little while...until they started eating the little fish! An outside pond was built for them and there they stay; happy, healthy and having babies galore!
    What size/type of fish did they eat?

Plecos get pretty big.. I want to see if there are any smaller species that I can purchase.. :[

Thanks

I had a rather large school of adult Neon tetras and they ate every last one of them! They also got some of my Ghost tetras and I'm pretty sure they got a few of the Harlequin Rasboras. When I put the goldfish in the tank they were very tiny but grew big fast (due to their fish diet I'm sure). I honestly didn't think they were big enough to eat the other fish but caught one one day. That was it, they got banished to a separate tank until the pond was ready for them. They truly were not that much bigger than the fish they were eating.

Thanks

i had some big oscars that were eating goldfish. one day they didnt eat them all so we left 3 or 4 feeders in the tank and they were so messy an gross that they ended up killing the oscars. in fact because of them that tank became known as the tank of death because nothing could survive except the feeder goldfish. they ended up making little baby goldfish too. we ended up scrapping that tank (after a while the goldfish were attacking and killing one another so that we only had 1 left and he wasnt doing to well ) we had to completely scrub the tank and everything in it before anything else could live. bottom line is i wouldnt put goldfish in with anything but goldfish. they are dirty and sometimes mean.
    1.0 husband 2.0 children * 1.1 doggies * 1.1 kitties * 0.1 dumerils boa * 1.0 argentine boa * 1.1 normal ball pythons * 1.0 normal kenyan boa * 0.1 anery kenyan boas * 1.0 tokay gecko * 1.0 russian tortoise * 1.0 beardie *

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast