Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,642

4 members and 2,638 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Menelas (42)

» Stats

Members: 75,083
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, NopeRopeMD

Thread: Heating help

Thanks

Heating help

I currently have a regular heat lamp on one side of my BP's 30 gallon aquarium.

I want to get something else, because I know it is not a fan of bright light (understandably so), but I am unsure what is best?

Would I be better off getting a ceramic heat emitter, a red/blue bulb, a UTH, or both?

If I get a UTH what is the best way to maintain air flow under an aquarium which is on a wooden stand?

I just want to get what is best for the snake without burning my house down in the process.

Thanks

Re: Heating help

A lot of brand name UTHs have rubber feet that you can prop your tank on to keep airflow.
    I suggest getting a UTH with a herpstat or t-stat to control it. Use tape to secure it under the tank though, if you use the adhesive that comes with it, it's very hard to remove and reuse. :]

Thanks

The UTH that I purchased came with little plastic footies that I could place at the bottom of the tank to allow airflow. It was a reptitherm UTH.

I use both lamps and UTH with dimmer switch to make sure that the floor isn't getting too hot. The only problem I am having now is that my ambient air is getting a little too warm during the day and warming up the cool side. I switch to the red bulb at night so I can still offer some ambient warmth but keep the harsh light away.

Hopefully I could help some...I am a newbie and still feel a little funny offering advice lol
    New BP Owner ~~~
    http://www.iherp.com/newBP1179
    --RYAN--

Thanks

A UTH or heat tape are the optimal heating methods for Ball pythons. Lamps should only be used to boost ambient temps, as they suck the humidity right out.

With a 30gal, I'm assuming you have an adult BP. The best thing to do here would be to get either an Ultratherm heat pad from ReptileBasics.com sized to cover 1/3 the bottom of the tank, or look for a ZooMed UTH 30-40gal size.
    Make SURE you can get a thermoSTAT as well, as any heat method really needs one. The Johnson on the same site as above is only $80. With a t-stat, you won't really need to fear that stand getting too hot or catching fire...unless it's got flammable gloss on it.

And stay away from CHEs(ceramic bulbs)...they destroy humidity.
    **Adriana - White 'N Nerdy!**

1.0 BP 'SunSpot', 0.1 Corn 'Freya', 1.0 IJ BTS 'Topaz', 1.0 ND bunny 'Licorice'