Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,354

1 members and 3,353 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

questions about my new tub for my baby bp

so i got a 16 qt tube for my baby bp. i know a lot of ppl would say to get another size smaller but i can't seem to find another size smaller where i live. Anyways, my questions are, i'm gonna get a helix today in the mail with some 4 inch heat tape. Where do i put the heat tape at? at the bottom or at the back? What temperature should i put the helix at and where do i put the probe at? The last question is, with such a small tub, would the heat carry over and the other side so i can have a cool and hot side or should i get another helix to make that happen?

Thanks

Re: questions about my new tub for my baby bp

I suggest putting the heat tape under the tub, and at the back 1/3 of the tub. You want you hot side to be around 92F, and your cool side to be around 82F. This may take a bit of work. I suggest to put you probe directly behind, or in front of, the heat tape.

What most people do not understand, is that it doesn't matter what the helix reads, it is what the actual hot spot temperature. The best way to read this temperature is to use a temperature gun. If you do not have one, then use a digital thermometer. Place the thermometer probe inside the tub, directly on top of the hot spot. Then just keep changing the temperature of the helix, until the hot spot temperature is 92F.

Some of my racks thermostats are set at 93F, 95F, and 100F, but all of my hot spots are right on 92F.

Hope this helps.
    Eddie Strong, Jr.

Thanks

Re: questions about my new tub for my baby bp

The cool and warm side gradient depends a lot on your room temps. If you have your snake in a room you can keep around 80, then you won't need another heat source on the cool side.
    But if you, like me, keep your home colder then you may need a second heat source on the cool side and, of course, another thermostat to control it.

Otherwise, you place the heat tape on the bottom of the tub on one end covering 1/4-1/3 the tub. The helix probe goes right on the tape under the tub, and you'll set it, as was said, to whatever number gives you a steady 90-93 on that warm side spot. Use a reliable digital thermometer with probe to measure temps.
    **Adriana - White 'N Nerdy!**

1.0 BP 'SunSpot', 0.1 Corn 'Freya', 1.0 IJ BTS 'Topaz', 1.0 ND bunny 'Licorice'