Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,549

3 members and 1,546 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,532
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Feeding the newborns...?

Alright, so I've successfully hatched out 9 beautiful balls, but I'm in need of some more experienced know-how on the feeding end of things.

They are now three weeks old, and I've been having trouble getting them to take their first meal. I'm trying to get them on f/t mice fuzzies (which I know is not the easiest route, but not much is available in my area). Have any breeders in here had luck with getting hatchlings to take f/t on their first meal? If so what methods did you use? I've tried offering it to them in their tubs, in a seperate tub, I've forced blood out the fuzzie's nose. I'm not quite desperate enough to slit the mouse (which is what I use to do with my first snake back in his hatchling days) but I will be soon if they don't start taking in food.

I'd also like to know how long they can live off their yolk, before I should start getting worried about starvation/lack of nutrietion. I know ball pythons are diehards with fasting, but I'm guessing a newly hatched ball can't go as long without food as an adult can.

Sorry for the long thread, but if anyone has any pointers/input, it would be appreaciated. Thanks!

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Feeding the newborns...?

Most hatchlings will not take f/t as their first meals, which is why breeders prepare ahead of time to make sure that they'll have the proper sized live prey available. If at all possible, you should try to find some live hopper mice.

Here's a great link for you: Getting Hatchlings Started

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rabernet View Post
    Most hatchlings will not take f/t as their first meals, which is why breeders prepare ahead of time to make sure that they'll have the proper sized live prey available. If at all possible, you should try to find some live hopper mice.

Here's a great link for you: Getting Hatchlings Started
    I agree, live is the way to go.

Thanks

Where do you get live hoppers? I obviously don't have a breeding stock lying around and the pet stores around here only have adults it seems like. And isn't it dangerous to leave live prey in with a snake overnight? or are hoppers not very aggresive?

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

The teeth on hoppers are not developed enough to cause injury. They're still somewhat soft.

Call your local herp society or zoo to see who they recommend you get live prey from. Ask you local pet store if they can get live hoppers from their breeder that's stocking them.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,678 Times in 1,596 Posts
    Blog Entries

You CAN get hatchlings to take frozen thawed as their first meal but it's very hit or miss (mostly miss). You'll need to heat the mice up to about 100 degrees and dance them around in front of the snake on a pair of hemostats, you'll have to keep reheating because they cool down pretty quickly. It's best if you can keep the room somewhat dark during this time, You'll also want to give them a hide box that they fit snuggly into and dance the prey in front of the entrance.

However after a few years of messing around with this, I just feed live hopper mice to everybody now. It's rare that I have a hatchling hold out longer then a month with live hoppers. I've left hoppers in with hatchlings for days at a time without ever having a snake get injured by a mouse.

Once you have your snakes feeding regularly and reliably, and they know when to expect food, THEN it's easier to switch them to heated frozen thawed.

Mark

Thanks

As said, it's a bit harder to get them on f/t right up front but it's possible.

I wouldn't worry yet though. At only three weeks old it's not panic time yet by any means. Do weigh them weekly so you can track any losses of weight though just to monitor that. If you figure that they don't even eat that first week or so until they shed and then a lot of people (me included) don't offer for another week - that makes them about 2 weeks old or so before they really will eat much of anything. So yours aren't all that far behind.

I have 11 hatchlings (more hatching today actually) and I just got my last hold out to start eating independently. Due to falling behind we did assist feed a few of them but only had to do that once or twice and they took right off.

The freaky thing is one of them won't eat live but will eat f/t off tongs. Makes no sense whatsoever but hey one of the babies has got to slither to a different drum I guess.
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

lol. Well, it's nice to hear it's possible. I will do a little tracking down to see if I can find someone that I can get live hoppers off of, but in the meantime I will continue to try to get them on f/t. I've had a little experinece with stubborn feeders. My first ball didn't seem to care for his f/t food when he was young, but now he eats like a champ. I've never had to feed live before.

About how long do you wait before you consider assisted feeding. I know it has to do with weight lose, but in general how long?

Thanks

With the 4 we assisted, they were hatched May 5 and May 20th. We didn't even consider assisting until mid-July and it was obvious those 4 were just not picking up the eating thing and were seriously falling behind their siblings in weight. We went by clutch average weight and those refusing were in the range of 60 grams while their feeding clutchmates were hitting 100 grams or more (they had all been within grams of each other in weight at hatching).

1 of the 4 only had to have 1 assist and was off and hunting independently after that. Another one needed two assists (we feed every 5 days for the hatchlings) and got the idea that food was a good idea. The last two both ate independently a couple of days ago for the first time. One of them is the one that won't take live for some freaky reason. The only way that hatchling will eat is f/t off tongs apparently. Goofy baby! LOL

We had to assist feed some CH hatchlings last year. Out of 5 we got, we had to assist 2, 2 ate right off themselves and one passed away before we could help it. I can tell you though that the 2 that had to be assisted are doing wonderfully well and you'd never know now that they ever needed the help last year.

Don't rush to assist though. Do everything else first. It's stressful on the babies and something you don't want to rush into.
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

yes, I understand. I wouldn't assist feed unless it meant saving a starving snake. I just didn't know how long was too long. thanks for all your help.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast