Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,823

0 members and 2,823 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

A few more questions

1) Does ball pythons needs climbing accessories?
    2) At night when my bp is active she tries to escape out the tank but she just ends up falling down, will this harm her?
    3) Any ideas where to hide the cable from the thermostat, it's really annoying us ( snake and i )

if it matters i am using a 20 gallon long and the substance is aspen.. snake is almost 2 months old

Thanks

Re: A few more questions

Quote Originally Posted by xbxteen View Post
    1) Does ball pythons needs climbing accessories?
    2) At night when my bp is active she tries to escape out the tank but she just ends up falling down, will this harm her?
    3) Any ideas where to hide the cable from the thermostat, it's really annoying us ( snake and i )

if it matters i am using a 20 gallon long and the substance is aspen.. snake is almost 2 months old
    1.)Nope, no climbing "accessories" necessary, ball pythons are terrestrial animals. You can put "structure" in the cage, it may act as a shedding aid for him/her

2.)It's fairly common for snakes to cruise the cage at night, and yes, babies sometimes get the idea that they can climb, however in a 20L that short distance fall, of the snake realizing it wasn't meant to support it's entire body weight, will not injure it.

3.) I would place the tstat probe under the aquarium wedged between the heat mat/flexwatt/UTH and the aquarium. Then you don't have to worry about a cord in the enclosure.

Hope this helps.
    Jason

Thanks

you can also carfully tape it on the inside of the tank with somethink like painters tape so you know what the glass temp is where the snake could possibly touch it, but if you have a infared temp gun either way would work. i'm still experimenting with my setup to find what works best for me.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gmcclurelssu View Post
    you can also carfully tape it on the inside of the tank with somethink like painters tape so you know what the glass temp is where the snake could possibly touch it, but if you have a infared temp gun either way would work. i'm still experimenting with my setup to find what works best for me.
    I wouldn't recommend using tape inside an enclosure. With humidity the tape can unstick from the glass...and its fair game for the snake to get stuck to...
    Jason

Thanks

thats why i specified painters tape which has very low adhesion. thats what i use to stick my probe to the bottom of the tank, under the substrate. even if the snake burrows down to the probe and gets stuck to the tape, there is no risk of the tape causing injury, unlike duct tape which i'm sure we all know will tear skin off.

Thanks

I have the accurite thermometer which has a pretty long cord for the probe so I just bury it in the aspen. Usually it's undetected by us or the snake.
    ~ Tanya
    0.1 Normal

Thanks

We have four adult pythons. Of them one loves to climb around at night, so we always make sure she has at least one branch to climb on. I like to give them a branch to climb on and rub against at shedding time, but it is by no means necessary.

Your snake should not be able to hurt itself in a 20 gallon tank.

Good luck on hiding the cables.

Thanks

to hide the cables, just secure your probe where you want it, and run the cable under the substrate to one of the back corners.
    Then run it up along the corner, and put your lid over the top of the tank.

The lid will keep the cable tight enough not to dangle loosely around.

Also, if you plan on keeping that thermometer/thermostat and tank, you could always use non-toxic silicone, the same kind used to 'stick' the class panels together to make the tank, and just silicone the cord up along the joining of the back and side panel.

Then, just put a fake plant in that corner, or black backing for the sides and back, and you wont even know it's there, neither will your snake.

Or, if for some reason your lid wont fit with the cable over the top, you can make a small cutout at the very top of the tank, just big enough for the cable to rest in, and be level/slightly lower than the tank top, then the lid will fit perfectly. But make sure the tank is EMPTY if you do that, you dont want glass shards over your substrate. When it's done, clean the tank out nicely, and put everything back in.