Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,542

0 members and 1,542 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,092
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero

Thread: humidity

Thanks

humidity

hello everyone!!
    i was wondering if it is really necessary to keep track of humidity in ball pythons tank if you have a full water bowl at all times

Thanks

Re: humidity

Yes, it is very important since you have no idea the amount of evaporation taking place and don't know how well the environment is retaining that humidity. Humidity is important for the snakes physical health as well as permitting complete sheds each and every time

~~McKinsey~~
    "Men have forgotten this truth," said the fox. "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed."
    ~The Little Prince; Antoine de Saint Exupery

Thanks

Yes, quite important. These snakes require 50-60% humidity at all times and a boost to 60-70% at shed times. Normal average room humidity is 35-40% and a full water dish doesn't always mean high humidity.
    **Adriana - White 'N Nerdy!**

1.0 BP 'SunSpot', 0.1 Corn 'Freya', 1.0 IJ BTS 'Topaz', 1.0 ND bunny 'Licorice'

Thanks

how can you raise the humidity in cage. i heard spray mist every week and cover top of screen is that good enough or more

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by reptiman93 View Post
    how can you raise the humidity in cage. i heard spray mist every week and cover top of screen is that good enough or more
    There are really 2 ways to raise humidity. One is to get more water vapor in the air in the first place, and the second is to keep it there once it is there.

For the first, you can mist, use a water bowl with more surface area, put the water bowl in the warmer end of the tank, etc.

For the second, avoid using lamps and CHEs which tend to zap the humidity, and cover most of the screen top, or use an enclosure such as a plastic tub which doesn't have a screen top in the first place.

To know if it is "good enough" you need to have something that will accurately measure your humidity. Those dial gauges sold at pet stores aren't very good. I use an accurite (brand available at walmart) digital indoor/outdoor temp & humidity gauge, which is great cause it gives me warm side temp, cool side temp, and humidity.
    Casey

Thanks

You can also keep damp sphagnum moss in containers in the hides and in the cage to help bump humidity

~~McKinsey~~
    "Men have forgotten this truth," said the fox. "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed."
    ~The Little Prince; Antoine de Saint Exupery

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by reptiman93 View Post
    Sometimes I have to mist a couple times a day depending on our temperatures and we live in Florida! You will want to keep an eye on your humidity (and temps for that matter) on a daily basis and better yet, several times a day. There is no way that I could get away with misting only once a week...but if you can, that's great.
    ~ Tanya
    0.1 Normal