Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,224

0 members and 3,224 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: goat people..!

Thanks

goat people..!

Well I am selling a horse. After she is gone, I plan on getting at least 2 goats. I love the smaller ones (pygmies? nubians) I have to do some more research but here are a few queries.
    -how would you fence them? I know that they're notorious escapees. How's a three-wire, electrified rope brand fence sound? Ropes about 6 inches apart, and all hot. If not.. how high would a chicken-wire type fence need to be?
    -what's better generally for a new keeper; females or gelded males? I don't want any intact males because of aggression and also that many people have told me that they have a bad odor.
    -I have a 10x10 horse stall to keep them in. the walls are about 4 feet high. Is this high enough or will the open top sides need to be wired in?
    Thanks!
    -Jen. Back in the hobby after a hiatus!
    Ball pythons:
    0.1 normal; 1.1 albino. 1.0 pied; 0.1 het pied; 1.0 banana.

Thanks

Re: goat people..!

I have never owned a goat but have read quite a bit about them. From what I remember the standard is using a hardware cloth for the main fence (2 by 4 inches or so depending on the goat size, don't quote me). Also, run 2 rows of barbed wire above the wire mesh. Some even place a string of barbed wire at the base of the mesh to prevent the goats from getting under it. No need to worry about malfunctioning equipment.

I have even heard of using multiple rows of barbed wire, skipping the mesh altogether.

I may get some goats for my retics to play with one day.

Thanks

Hi there!

Goats are awesome creatures, but can be very trying at times.

The most popular miniature breeds are the Nigerian Dwarfs and the Pygmies. Nigis make excellent milk goats for their size, if that's what you'd like, and Pygmies are just teeny little cuties. Nigis are more porportionate as well, while Pygmies look like barrels on legs.

Now, the biggest issue: fencing. I don't think a rope electric fence will work. It MIGHT...but if the goats decide they want out, they're going to get out of it. What they say in the goat world "If it can't hold water it won't hold goats!"

Course its not THAT extreme but it feels like that sometimes! No wire fence will hold them, especially chicken wire, mine put holes in that in days, just from leaning against it, rubbing against it, and standing on it. Which they will do to all fencing. Now, a wire fence with hotwire running along the inside may work, as they won't get close enough to do those things and cause it to sag to the ground.

The best fencing for goats is either chainlink (expensive!) or welded wire cattle panels, though you may have to cover that with something like chicken wire if the goats have horns, they love to get themselves stuck.

My goats are Nigerians, and the fence (chainlink covered with chicken wire) is four feet I believe. If they can jump over, they will. For a stall, I believe they should be fine, as long as they can get purchase somewhere with their hooves to leap over.

As for what sex, well, that's up to you! I have a pregnant doe and a wether (neutered male). Neither have any smell and both are wonderfully friendly and fun to be with. Does you have the option of breeding and possibly milking someday (Nigerians at least, most Pygmies have teats far too small) and getting babies.

This is just the tip of the iceberg, too. While goats are hardy creatures, they delight in getting into mischief, and require lots of care, and can be wasteful little buggers as well! I wholeheartedly suggest FiascoFarm.com, this is hands down one of the BEST goat websites out there, and the forum I am active in and really love is TheGoatSpot.net, its full of really great people ready to answer any question or concern. They've been a lifesaver for me!

Whew, that's alot of typing, and like I said, just a drop in the bucket when it comes to goats! I hope this at least helps a little, and that you find more information on those sites!

And you know, cause I can't resist showing off my little buggers..

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dacalio View Post
    I have never owned a goat but have read quite a bit about them. From what I remember the standard is using a hardware cloth for the main fence (2 by 4 inches or so depending on the goat size, don't quote me). Also, run 2 rows of barbed wire above the wire mesh. Some even place a string of barbed wire at the base of the mesh to prevent the goats from getting under it. No need to worry about malfunctioning equipment.

I have even heard of using multiple rows of barbed wire, skipping the mesh altogether.
    Goats will just stand on this, or rub against it, until they can nonchalantly walk over it. Trust me! I've seen it in some places, but this is where the goats had ACRES of brush to occupy them and were in a large group, which means less chance of boredom.

And strands of barb wire are not going to work; the goats will just squeeze between it, possibly causing severe injury to a delicate udder or underbelly, or even becoming tangled. Barb wire along the top of a fence may help, but it may not. Also, with hotwire, goats quickly learn the "pulses" some brands use and slip between them. They are as intelligent as most dogs.

Thanks

Cattle pannels!!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stangs13 View Post
    Cattle pannels!!!
    Agreed! These are probably the best. Chain link is awesome, but expensive and can't really be moved, while cattle panels, while still a bit pricey, are sturdy, easy to set up, can't be messed up by the goats leaning on it, and if you choose, can be moved to a different area, which is AWESOME when you want some brush cleared! However, funnily enough, kids will sometimes launch themselves over it even when adults won't. Little brats! I believe covering the panels with chicken wire or something similar, so they can't get purchase with their little hooves, can help this.

Thanks

When we had goats as a kid we just used a wooden fence, 4x4 posts with wood boards running between them every six inches or so we rarely had a problem with it.I would never suggest barbed wire to cage any animal.
    Michael
    1.0 Het Albino BP ~ 1.0 Het Axanthic BP ~ 1.0 Het Pied BP
    1.0 Yellowbelly BP ~ 1.0 Cinnamon Pastel
    0.1 Pastel BP ~ 0.18 Normal BP's
    0.1 Albino Nelson's Milksnake ~ 1.2 BCI
    2008 BP Hatchlings - 3.4 Yellowbelly, 1.3 Normal

"Your enemy is never a villian in his own eyes.Keep this in mind;it may offer a way to make him your friend." "Little girls like butterflies need no excuses."

Thanks

Yeah, wooden fencing can work...as long as they can't fit through the gaps, its pretty much has to be nearly solid! Some will learn to climb it though, depends on the goat.

Thanks

My dad used to have a goat and the chainlink worked great.
    -Diana

Support Captive Breeders
    http://www.lunarboids.com

Thanks

What's the big difference between chain link and the 2 by 4 inch welded wire? My dogs are fenced in 3 acres of this stuff and it's pretty heavy duty. Steel poles keep the fence tight. It's s lot cheaper than chain link.

I wonder if dogs could be trained to keep the goats away from the fence line? Lol, just an idea. My friends have a German Shepherd that keeps their kids (human) inside the fence.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast