Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,575

2 members and 1,573 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

How to go about using something like this

for a 3 stacked cage? What would be the best way for doors? A track with glass... but gaps?? What about heading it? I don't really know what these Walmart bookcases are made of. But there's one like this for $16 at my local store.
    29.63" W x 11.5" D x 43.5" H

May be better with one of the solid wood ones....
    Surely something cool could be done though

Thanks

Re: How to go about using something like this

If this is for a ball Python.

The door could be built by adding some small pieces about 2" wide and routering grooves into them for plexi-glass to slide in. Another thing you will have to do is add a back. The back on those is nothing more than a piece of card board colored black. To heat it you will need water proof UTH panels. Make sure they are firmly attached to the surface with the thermostat probe under them. holes in the back wall will be needed to allow for the cord and they will need to be kept small so the cord will have to be cut and re-spliced. Put a piece of vinyl flooring down over the bottom and make sure it is securely in place with some locking mechanism that makes sure the snake can not get under it. Temperature gradient will be hard to create due to the height of each level. You will have to keep this in a room that is around 77 degrees to 80 degrees.

Thanks

Awesome Glory....
    So it's safe to stick a UTH straight on say melamine or ply; with it on the inside of the cage?
    I wonder how bad of a gap the wooden track idea would leave?
    I'm liking this idea a lot...
    Yeah I have a large Ball... wouldn't work for my new king though.. He'd be out of there!

Anymore suggestions?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by karma279 View Post
    Awesome Glory....
    So it's safe to stick a UTH straight on say melamine or ply; with it on the inside of the cage?
    I wonder how bad of a gap the wooden track idea would leave?
    I'm liking this idea a lot...
    Yeah I have a large Ball... wouldn't work for my new king though.. He'd be out of there!

Anymore suggestions?
    You can stick the UTH on the bottom, but you need to find a non-toxic glue that will stick the UTH down solid. I would router a grove in the panel for the T-stat probe and glue it in the slot. Then glue UTH right over it. Make sure the UTH is water proof. As additional safety you could cut a piece of plexi-glass to cover the floor and this will not roll up in the corners like vinyl and make next to impossible to crawl under. As far as the groove goes it all depends on if you have a router or table rip saw and how good you are with it as far as tolerances go.

Thanks

The heat wouldn't harm the plexi eventually? I know the thermo would regulate the temp tho...
    Would it be better on the back inside? This would help with ambient temp... but no belly heat I guess. But the back piece would be thick ply or melamine. They bottom is that cheap particle cardboard wood they use for these. I'd be a little scared to mount the UTH on that stuff on the bottom eh?
    Sorry for so many questions... just want this to be right and getting all the advice I can

Thanks

Since you probably don't want to router the planks, you could get 3/4" x 1/4" planks cut to size, tack them in then use 1 1/2" x 1/4" planks tacked in on top of the smaller ones to create your grooves for the glass. If you use 1/4" wood at the base just make sure the plexiglass is just under 1/4" thick. .236 is a common thickness and it will slide easily while not leaving any gaps.
    What are these mojavas I keep hearing so much about?

J. W. Exotics

Reptile Incubators