Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,349

2 members and 1,347 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,092
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: We Gots a Puppy

Thanks

We Gots a Puppy

I was at work and my fiance was texting me while I worked. He sent me a picture of this little puppy (dachshund) that was the last one at the store. The store was closing down and all their animals were half off and we were wanting to get a dachshund, so we went ahead and brought him home. I know, I know. I'm a bad person. I should have rescued but he was the one we wanted. He does have a bit of a cold and we get one free vet visit to get some more Amoxicillan (spelling). The vets we are allowed to go to are good ones. We have been to both and the only reason we don't go to them is distance.

He is quite the goofball. He loves his toys and loves to play. He gets so excited when you throw his rope toy. He doesn't have a name yet, so if you would like to suggest one, please do. I'll get pictures today. Oh and he cuddled up to us last night it was so cute. And we woke up at 7am to start him on a bathroom schedule. He didn't go outside, but of course housetraining is a long process. He has gone on the puppy pad twice now with some direction (me picking him up and putting him on the paper.

I'm so excited. He is such an awsome dog. He is very intelligent and his training has already begun. He is learning not to whine to get attention and we will soon begin working on seperation anxiety. I will post pics as soon as I get them taken.
    Under Construction.....

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: We Gots a Puppy

I sincerely hope it works out for you, but how do you determine he's "the one" for you so quickly? It sounds more like an impulsive decision - the store is shutting down, they're half price, he's the last one - let's get him.

My local pet store (mom and pop) has puppies, and they swear that they don't use puppy mills, but any quality breeder will not sell their puppies to pet stores. No matter how cute they are, I would rather get a puppy from the animal shelter, rather than encourage a pet store to get more by buying what they have.

I hope your puppy doesn't have health issues, but starting out he's already sick and is in need of vet care (besides the normal puppy shots).

OK - lecture over - when will we see pictures?

Thanks

I already know it was kind of an impulsive buy, but he is a good dog, and normally I do rescue and adopt only. I will not say I am an expert with dogs or their medical problems, but I have dealt with a rescue cat who had a severe upper respiratory infection and had to go on medication for a while. Eventually it cleared up but he was in QT for a long time. We know there is no guarantee that he didn't come from a puppy mill. My mom took the same risk when she brought home her dog. We do have the pups vaccination records and his parentage. I believe the breeder's name is on the papers as well. He is not fixed but we plan on having him done as soon as possible. We will have no intact animals (other than the snakes) running around this house.

We are going to the store now to get him a kennel (the one we have is too big for him) and some more toys, as he has already begun to destroy the one we got for him yesterday. I will post pictures today once we are done with our shopping.
    Under Construction.....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rabernet View Post
    I sincerely hope it works out for you, but how do you determine he's "the one" for you so quickly? It sounds more like an impulsive decision - the store is shutting down, they're half price, he's the last one - let's get him.

My local pet store (mom and pop) has puppies, and they swear that they don't use puppy mills, but any quality breeder will not sell their puppies to pet stores. No matter how cute they are, I would rather get a puppy from the animal shelter, rather than encourage a pet store to get more by buying what they have.

I hope your puppy doesn't have health issues, but starting out he's already sick and is in need of vet care (besides the normal puppy shots).

OK - lecture over - when will we see pictures?
    Actually, a friend of mine breeds puppies and sells them to the pet store. Does this make her a low quality breeder? The puppies are not low quality, the breeders live in her home and are kept on a great diet, well maintained and not overbred, and the puppies are well taken care of. She just chooses to sell her litters to a pet store, the same store every time, instead of dealing with the public. How does this make her a bad breeder? I will probably end up needing to do the same thing with some of my normal baby ball pythons, does that make me a bad ball python breeder?
    -Diana

Support Captive Breeders
    http://www.lunarboids.com

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
    Actually, a friend of mine breeds puppies and sells them to the pet store. Does this make her a low quality breeder? The puppies are not low quality, the breeders live in her home and are kept on a great diet, well maintained and not overbred, and the puppies are well taken care of. She just chooses to sell her litters to a pet store, the same store every time, instead of dealing with the public. How does this make her a bad breeder? I will probably end up needing to do the same thing with some of my normal baby ball pythons, does that make me a bad ball python breeder?
    Ball pythons and dogs are like comparing apples to oranges.

Is your friend breeding to improve the breed, showing to champion her dogs? Or just breeding for a hobby? I don't believe that breeders who are breeding to improve the breed are selling to pet stores - they are very particular about who ends up with their animals and don't need to sell to pet stores, because they have a waiting list. Once they are sold to the pet store, you lose all control of who eventually ends up with the animal. Most breeders insist that their animals are spayed or neutered. Pet stores usually do not.

I personally don't believe that dogs should be bred unless it is to improve the breed - there are far too many dogs in shelters dying that need homes - including pure-breds.

Your friend is likely the exception to the rule, rather than the norm of where most pet stores acquire pure-bred dogs for sale.

Thanks

Congas on the new dog Jay! Can we have some pics?

Thanks

Amen amen amen to Rab's posts. I won't add anything to her words as I am afraid I will get on my soapbox. Anyway, grats on the pup, hope he does well for you.
    1.1 crazy dogs
    4.3 even crazier cats
    2.2 bps
    2.0 Off Track Thoroughbreds
    0.3 human kids
    1.0 Boyfriend who puts up with the craziness

Thanks

!!!!!!

Thanks

What happened to the other Doxie you had named Flash?
    ---=ALLISON=---
    "Not everyone is going to agree or listen to what you say but I have learned to do my best to educate and hope they listen in the long run. Just keep trying to educate. There will be people out there that actually do listen and learn. -Me"

Thanks

Flash found a new home with a friend of my grandmother's. He had a housetraining issue and at the time we did not have the time to devote to his training. It was supposed to be a temporary stay anyway. Now we have more time and know-how on how to train a dog. Bailey is doing quite well with his puppy pad and we are working to leash train him so he will go outside. He is a blast to have around. Very playful and very quick to learn. He's going to the vet today for meds for his cold.
    Under Construction.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast