Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,677

1 members and 2,676 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

DIY Ozone generator

I've made you all wait long enough for this, so here are instructions for making an ozone machine to kill odors, and make your snake or rodent room smell like it does after a thunderstorm. Commercial ozone generators cost $300+, but you can make one of these for under $40.

Note that these use high voltage, and improper use or shady insulation can kill you. Ozone is not healthy for lung tissue in more than very small amounts.

Materials:
    1x - 6k volt-12k volt neon sign transformer from ebay
    1x - glass sheet (5"x5" or larger - glass from a cheap picture frame works good)
    2x - metal plates at least 1/2" smaller than the glass on all sides(these can be any thin, flat conductive metal)
    1x - power timer with 15 minute increments or less
    8x - 1/8" felt or wood spacers
    2x - egg crate cut to the same size as your glass sheet
    Hot glue
    Solder and solder iron
    Electrical tape

Start by stripping 1/2" of the insulation from the ends of the two output leads on the transformer and soldering each wire to each of your metal plates, then further secure the connections with a drop of hot glue.

Lay one of the plates in the center of the glass and make a bead of glue along the edges of the metal to secure it to the glass.

When it sets, flip the glas over and line up the 2nd metal plate with the 1st one in the center of the glass and secure it with some more hot glue.

Glue each of the 1/8" spacers in all the corners on both sides of the glass, just outside the metal plates.

Add some glue to the spacers on one side of the glass and secure one of the pieces of egg crate over the metal plate.

Flip the glass and do the same with the 2nd piece of crate on the other side.

Tape all around the edges of the glass so there aren't any sharp edges. Plug it into a timer set to run a few times a day for 5-15 minutes at a time. When the machine is on you should here a quiet buzzing coming from the glass, and if you don't tape the edges, you should see a purple glow if you look at the cross section of the glass. After a couple minutes you will be able to smell the ozone. The bigger the metal plates and the higher the output on the transformer, the more ozone you get.

These work, but they can be very dangerous. The egg crate keeps the plates protected, but if you stick your fingers through the crate on both sides and touched the metal you would definitely get a high voltage shock. Don't use one of these if children can get to it. I suggest looking into ozone for yourself if you plan on making one of these to see the possible dangers of ozone on lung tissue, as well as all the possitive effects it has.

Here some pictures of mine. I'm using very small plates because my room is so small and the larger plates I was using were producing too much ozone if left on for 15 minutes at a time.

What are these mojavas I keep hearing so much about?

J. W. Exotics

Reptile Incubators

Thanks

Re: DIY Ozone generator

Aren't those potentially harmfull to humans and animals alike? I mean ozone is highly reative and can lead to some serious issues like cancer. I thought they should only be used on exhausted air? I could be wrong but I swear I read something like that once.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dacalio View Post
    Aren't those potentially harmfull to humans and animals alike? I mean ozone is highly reative and can lead to some serious issues like cancer. I thought they should only be used on exhausted air? I could be wrong but I swear I read something like that once.
    I've read that ozone is used experimentally to shrink tumors and has a ton of beneficial effects including killing germs, virii and bacteria. The only negative effect I've seen is that anything over a certain ppm can damage sensitive lung tissue. That's why it's important to use a timer and not fill your snake room with large amounts of ozone.

It is reactive, being that ozone is O3 that is unstable, and quickly breaks down into O2 (oxygen) and O1. Neither of these is a carcinogen. I posted those warnings and also suggested that people read more about it before deciding to use one. They sell these at the reptile shows, so they are perfectly safe as long as they are used properly. If you're generating a ton of ozone, than it should only be used in an exhaust, but the only time I've read this is for people producing a ton of ozone to try and hide large indoor pot gardens. Try reading sources that are aimed toward more realistic applications.

People wear plastic suits from their feet to their chin with ozone pumping into it to prevent skin cancer, as well as bubble ozone into ice water and drink it to attack free radicals, sort of like the ultimate anti-oxidant.
    Last edited by PythonWallace; 07-25-2008 at 06:50 PM.

J. W. Exotics

Reptile Incubators

Thanks

I know what O3 is and in my biochem class I was told it can react with your DNA. This isn't some garbage I read on wikipedia or something. So please do not assume I just googled some crap online to sound like I know what I'm talking about. I work in a hospital and I wonder whats considered "safe" and "unsafe". I mean x-rays being shot all over the place. Hell, asbestos was once considered "safe" but go talk to the people with mesotheiloma I'm sure they have a different opinion.

I know I'm a pessimist but I have seen many many people die of cancer. I personally don't want it! As far as ozone being used to shrink tumors well radiation is used to shrink tumors also, go figure. Just because someone sells you something at a trade show doesn't make it safe. It's your responsibility as an individual to research what you are buying and weigh the consequences.

I am not saying you are wrong and I am right I just wanted to point out the fact that there is a very valid hazard associated with ozone. How big of a hazard, I don't know. But it is there and I rather avoid it personally. However, If I did live in town I think an ozone generator would be a great idea for a rodent shed's exhaust.

In addition, I'm a respiratory therapist and I don't want my lining of my lungs damaged I've seen what that leads to. Emphysema is no joke, especially coupled with any cardiac issues.

I hope I did not offend you, that was not my intentions. I think you have done us a great favor in showing your plans.

Thanks

No worries. I haven't talked to anyone at any shows about them. I've read a ton of stuff about ozone, and some of it is a little contradicting. I know it can be dangerous, and I don't want myself or my snakes to get any lung damage. It's use is a little controversial, but I was asked by a few people a long time ago to post these plans. Here they are for anyone who wants to use them, along with the dangers and warnings. I think radiation is a lot different that Oxygen and O1, and being as informed as you are I'm sure you know that is a misleading comparison, at best. Thanks for posting your concerns. I do want people to be fully aware of ozone if they plan to use one of these.

J. W. Exotics

Reptile Incubators

Thanks

You are right about the cancer I do not know of ozone causing cancer. All I know is it's highly reactive and can cause changes in DNA. It is purely an assumption on my part that ozone can cause cancer due to the fact that many forms of cancer are caused by odd DNA sequencing. I have not researched it at all other than remembering bits and pieces from class and putting it together. I do not know of any formal studies but I'm sure there are some out there.

You must understand that I have huge phobia of cancer and most diseases for that matter. I try to live a healthy life and take great lengths to achieve this. I would rather be safe now than sorry later.

Thanks, David

Thanks

There are a few houshold products deemed safe, like the notorious ionic breeze air crapifiers. They don't work, but they do give off ozone, and I would assume this small contraption would put out less then that machine.

On the same note, those air "purifiers" are crap, and give you a headache...

Thanks

Like PythonWallace said himself their are very mixed opinions about ozone. Even these small home ozone generators are very controversial by many people.

Like I said I am not educated enough to tell you a definite fact on these machines. All I stated is purely opinion, you know what they say about those.

My feelings about humankind in general are that of caution. Go look how many drugs the FDA deems safe. Now go research how many lawsuits are associated with these very drugs. I know drugs are a completely different subject, I was just giving another example. Just like asbestos!

Less is more.

Thanks

Ozone in small amounts less than 0.4ppm are perfectly fine. If you can smell ozone then your in trouble though.

Ideally you would want a ozone meter so you know the levels are safe.

Also, neon light transformers are very dangerous, the higher ones (15kv) can arc over 2 inches.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dacalio View Post
    You are right about the cancer I do not know of ozone causing cancer. All I know is it's highly reactive and can cause changes in DNA. It is purely an assumption on my part that ozone can cause cancer due to the fact that many forms of cancer are caused by odd DNA sequencing. I have not researched it at all other than remembering bits and pieces from class and putting it together. I do not know of any formal studies but I'm sure there are some out there.

You must understand that I have huge phobia of cancer and most diseases for that matter. I try to live a healthy life and take great lengths to achieve this. I would rather be safe now than sorry later.

Thanks, David
    Thanks, I hear what you're saying, but It's my understanding that it's similar to Hydrogen peroxide. Peroxide can damage delicate tissue because of the same unstable oxygen molecules, and it has a lot of the same effects in general. It's generally a good thing with a lot of possitive uses, but in consentration it can do some serious damage.
    Quote Originally Posted by littleindiangirl View Post
    There are a few houshold products deemed safe, like the notorious ionic breeze air crapifiers. They don't work, but they do give off ozone, and I would assume this small contraption would put out less then that machine.

On the same note, those air "purifiers" are crap, and give you a headache...
    Yep, but these work! http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showthread.php?t=55186

J. W. Exotics

Reptile Incubators

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast