Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,200

2 members and 3,198 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,083
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, NopeRopeMD
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: DIY Ozone generator

Quote Originally Posted by PythonWallace View Post
    LOL, we thought about making one, but so far, the smelliest animals are the pet rats in the kitchen.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Somed00d View Post
    Ozone in small amounts less than 0.4ppm are perfectly fine. If you can smell ozone then your in trouble though.

That's true. You shouldn't be able to smell it in the air, or it's way too much. What I meant in the writeup is that after a minute if you lean in near it you can smell that it's working.

Ideally you would want a ozone meter so you know the levels are safe.

Also, neon light transformers are very dangerous, the higher ones (15kv) can arc over 2 inches.

True, but 15k is way overkill for one of these, and it's my understanding that the silicone glass is a semi-conductor that works as a partial short circuit. The arcing is happening through the glass. If you used rubber instead of glass (which wouldn't do anything) you would need larger glass margins to prevent arcing around the edges. Either way, any high voltage project like this can be deadly and you need to know what you are doing and use extreme precautions.
    I don't know, maybe this one is too controversial for this site?
    What are these mojavas I keep hearing so much about?

J. W. Exotics

Reptile Incubators

Thanks
    Thanked 1,111 Times in 629 Posts

I have an ozone purifier in my rat area, personally I like it.

You need to ensure you do not crank them up to high, as yes, as Connie noted, they can make you sick.

I go by the standard, not terribly scientific, but if I can not smell the ozone, or smell the rats, then we are at the right level...

Ozone is very unstable and it breaks down immediately upon being produced...

Bruce
    Praying for Stinger Bees

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PythonWallace View Post
    Thanks, I hear what you're saying, but It's my understanding that it's similar to Hydrogen peroxide. Peroxide can damage delicate tissue because of the same unstable oxygen molecules, and it has a lot of the same effects in general. It's generally a good thing with a lot of possitive uses, but in consentration it can do some serious damage.

Yep, but these work! http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showthread.php?t=55186
    Yep, hydrogen peroxide and O3 are both oxidizing agents. Causing a loss of an electron (LEO/GER). But ozone is a gas at these temperatures and from what I remember it is HIGHLY reactive. Like you said it reacts almost immediately. But you can still have certain levels of it in your home/facility. In fact, cities around the world consider it a pollutant and are trying to reduce it's levels.

I think this is a great subject, not too controversial. Research and discussion are great. I would rather know that I could possibly die from electrocution, bronchospasm, or fire than not. Whether it was home made or not. As I said earlier every individual is responsible for their own decisions.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12