Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,536

0 members and 3,536 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Built a Rat Rack

So I got my wisdom teeth out last week. Got super lucky and even though they had to dig all 4 of them out I was up and around within an hour after the operation. Anyways, since I couldn't really lift the railroad ties to build the retaining wall in the back yard till the next day I built a rat rack. I think it took maybe 8 hours or so. Anyways here it is. Let me know what you think. I still need to add the watering system.

I used some extra square dowl rods to make sure the tubs stayed centered and as stops in the back.

And just for kicks I took a picture of myself in the middle of building the rat rack. Me all swollen and stained blue cause I can't feel my entire face. HAHA.

0.1.0 RTB (Kona)
    0.1.0 RTB Anery 66% PH Albino
    1.0.0 RTB Hypo Het Anery 50% PH Albino
    1.0.0 BP (King Julian)
    0.1.0 BRB (Tiki)

Andrew Geibel

Thanks

Re: Built a Rat Rack

nice building man,
    looks good

Thanks

Are those pressure treated?....You might run into a problem if the rats can chew the wood....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by monk90222 View Post
    Are those pressure treated?....You might run into a problem if the rats can chew the wood....
    I noticed that too.

Nice rack Dude!! I am going to get around to building me one here sometime in a few months.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by monk90222 View Post
    Yes they are. I realized the issue about half way through the building of it. I talked to a couple people with the same design and they didnt have any issues with chewing on the wood. Worst case scenario is that I replace the pieces of wood within reach of the rats. I was far enough into the building that I didn't want to start over.
    0.1.0 RTB (Kona)
    1.0.0 BP (King Julian)
    0.1.0 BRB (Tiki)

Andrew Geibel

Thanks

Looks good!

You should be fine since most of the arsinic has been removed from from modern pressure treated lumber. They changed what they used to be less toxic. Also rats can smell the lumber and know it will be bad to chew on it before they do. Might actually be a good thing as they will not be chewing on it. We used regular lumber in ours and have not seen any signs of them chewing on the wood. We have had three tubs with chew throughs and only one had an escape, but we found all three girls that had been in that one so it was a non issue in the end. (Other than the bites to my hands from having to get a little rough with one that was persistant. )

If it does worry you the option of painting it to keep direct contact from occuring always exists!

Thanks

Thank you for sharing that!

Thanks

Yes thank you very much

Thanks

Not a problem. I had to do a lot of research on pressure treated lumber when I built our pool deck. We had concerns with our young daughter and her friends running around on it in barefeet. We still decked the area for the latter out of the plastic lumber to keep the area most exposed to water impervious to water and splinter free!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gloryhound View Post
    Looks good!

You should be fine since most of the arsinic has been removed from from modern pressure treated lumber. They changed what they used to be less toxic. Also rats can smell the lumber and know it will be bad to chew on it before they do. Might actually be a good thing as they will not be chewing on it. We used regular lumber in ours and have not seen any signs of them chewing on the wood. We have had three tubs with chew throughs and only one had an escape, but we found all three girls that had been in that one so it was a non issue in the end. (Other than the bites to my hands from having to get a little rough with one that was persistant. )

If it does worry you the option of painting it to keep direct contact from occuring always exists!
    Excellent info! The idea of painting hadn't occurred to me and it is good to know that the rats may be able to smell it and hence stay away from it. I will of course keep a very close eye on the wood for any signs of chewing. I have not put in a watering system yet so I don't even have any rats so far. I should be putting the watering system in here in the next week or so.
    0.1.0 RTB (Kona)
    1.0.0 BP (King Julian)
    0.1.0 BRB (Tiki)

Andrew Geibel

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast