Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,728

0 members and 2,728 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

What's going on with my Hogger?

My Hognose snake is doing pretty well. He eats readily, taming down more, and is overall a very enjoyable snake. But there's one strange thing about him that I need to comment on: He hasn't shown any signs of shedding for 3 months! Can anyone find an explanation for this?
    -Ryan Hardwikk (aka Member #6667)

My snakes:
    0.1 Kenyan Sand Boa ~Nephthys~ (aka "Linky")

In a better place:
    1.0 Pastel Western Hognose ~Charon~ 10/3/07-4/24/09

If you need/want to know anything about Hognose snakes, just ask me.

Thanks

Re: What's going on with my Hogger?

Based on your other post, I am not sure you are feeding him enough. Hoggies do not shed as much as other snakes though, so that might be the explanation.
    Jenea
    GuardianReptiles.com

"The irrational fear of snakes is the only excuse a grown man has to act like a complete sissy" - Colchicine

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FloridaHogs View Post
    Based on your other post, I am not sure you are feeding him enough. Hoggies do not shed as much as other snakes though, so that might be the explanation.
    I'm probably feeding him enough as he isn't thin for his size! Is 10 months old considered "almost a yearling"?

My snakes:

In a better place:

Thanks

Sounds like yours is about the same age as mine and they have been pounding fuzzies for about a month. If your little guy can eat two pinks at a feeding, you may want to start offering him two a week, vs the one big meal every three weeks. Just a suggestion mind you from my experiences breeding and raising these guys. Most people are really into to BP's here, but hoggies are my passion. I currently have 4 species of hoggies, and have my eyes on a 4th and 5th species. I did things backwards and started with one of the more difficult species first, the Easterns. Westerns are SOOO easy compared to those. At any rate, I would not worry to much about the shed issue. As I said before, hoggies do not shed as much as other colubrids, just another interesting quirk to them.
    Jenea
    GuardianReptiles.com

"The irrational fear of snakes is the only excuse a grown man has to act like a complete sissy" - Colchicine

Thanks

Sounds like yours is about the same age as mine and they have been pounding fuzzies for about a month. If your little guy can eat two pinks at a feeding, you may want to start offering him two a week, vs the one big meal every three weeks. Just a suggestion mind you from my experiences breeding and raising these guys. Most people are really into to BP's here, but hoggies are my passion. I currently have 4 species of hoggies, and have my eyes on a 4th and 5th species. I did things backwards and started with one of the more difficult species first, the Easterns. Westerns are SOOO easy compared to those. At any rate, I would not worry to much about the shed issue. As I said before, hoggies do not shed as much as other colubrids, just another interesting quirk to them.
    Remember that my hogger is a male, which grow a lot smaller than the females. Do you think I should feed him 2 XSPs a week or one nursed pinky every week?

P.S. What exactly is a speckled hognose? I saw some at the expo and I thought they were pretty nice-looking snakes.

My snakes:

In a better place:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,727 Times in 1,257 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Onua Nuva View Post
    My Hognose snake is doing pretty well. He eats readily, taming down more, and is overall a very enjoyable snake. But there's one strange thing about him that I need to comment on: He hasn't shown any signs of shedding for 3 months! Can anyone find an explanation for this?
    My kennerlyi has shed exactly 4 times in 30 months.

My female western has shed 3 times in 24 months.

Hognoses just have a lower frequency of shedding - it's nothing to be worried about.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Skiploder View Post
    My kennerlyi has shed exactly 4 times in 30 months.

My female western has shed 3 times in 24 months.

Hognoses just have a lower frequency of shedding - it's nothing to be worried about.
    So I guess my Hognose is starting the long-term shedding stage... My WHS had shed monthly until now, so that's why it seemed so unusual and worth reporting.

My snakes:

In a better place:

Thanks

Speckled is a madagascan species. There is the Giant, Blonde, and Speckled from Madagascar. I believe there are 9 species from South America, but only two have made it into the trade to the best of my knowledge.

As far as feeding, my two holdbacks that are close in age to yours are both male, and eating 1 fuzzy a week. I think 2 pinks a week would be appropriate until you are comfortable moving him up to a fuzzy.
    Jenea
    GuardianReptiles.com

Thanks

Okay, this is a bit of a late response, but you didn't hear me correctly. I meant that I feed him 1 pinky a week, and after two feeding sessions I feed him 2 pinkies for that third time.

An interesting thing I've noticed: He's grown somehow even though he hasn't shed since before I made this thread.

My snakes:

In a better place:

Thanks

mine is already eating fuzzies. Didnt we get ours about the same time?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast