Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,985

0 members and 2,985 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

A basic question on rat breeding

I don't have a colony going yet, but I will in the next year. I have been doing a lot of checking around to see how people have theirs set up and I am hung up on one big difference.

Some rat breeders use larger bins, put 1.4 or 1.5 etc...rats in each bin, let them breed, take out the male, and just leave the moms all together to raise their litter.

Other rat breeders move pregnant rats to their own individual bins to raise their litter (ala, Ralph Davis' youtube video).

I am thinking the first way would be easiest in terms of maintenance, but can others chime in on what they do and why? Thank you!

JonV

Thanks

Re: A basic question on rat breeding

I only separate first time moms.

Old enough to remember. Freakie_frog's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,884 Times in 2,148 Posts
    Blog Entries

I depends on if you have the space to take the moms out to let them raise up or not.

If you do then take them out if not then leave them in
    When you've got 10,000 people trying to do the same thing, why would you want to be number 10,001? ~ Mark Cuban
    "for the discerning collector"

Thanks

I prefer to put moms in separate nursing tubs. They dont have to compete with other mothers, deal with stress from one mother dominating all the babies, playing ring around the rosy as they steal babies from one another, dealing with too many babies at once, potential cannibalizing from mothers.. etc.

Wild rats prefer to all have a separate nesting chamber, only doing communal nursing when the population is high. I like to follow this lead. I have high numbers of rats, mothers bounce back quickly, babies are all fat and plump! I have complete control over the babies and know who any culprits are if I lose any pups to disease or cannibalism.

Thanks

I've just started my small group of 2.2 rats and I intend to give the females each their own tub. One male with one female until the girls look nice and round, then the two boys go into their 'bachelor tub' and the girls have their new litters to keep them company. Once litters are weaned, the girls get a week or so to rest together and then they restart. That's the plan, at least, I'll let you know how it goes.
    **Adriana - White 'N Nerdy!**

1.0 BP 'SunSpot', 0.1 Corn 'Freya', 1.0 IJ BTS 'Topaz', 1.0 ND bunny 'Licorice'

Thanks

What percentage of pinks get trampled and killed if you leave them all together?

JonV

Old enough to remember. Freakie_frog's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,884 Times in 2,148 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nevohraalnavnoj View Post
    What percentage of pinks get trampled and killed if you leave them all together?

JonV
    I leave mine together and it rarely happens even with 4 moms they all kind of pick a corner and that's where they nurse and nest with their babies
    When you've got 10,000 people trying to do the same thing, why would you want to be number 10,001? ~ Mark Cuban
    "for the discerning collector"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Freakie_frog View Post
    I leave mine together and it rarely happens even with 4 moms they all kind of pick a corner and that's where they nurse and nest with their babies
    What size tubs? 30 quart? CB70 size?

JonV

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nevohraalnavnoj View Post

JonV
    That's difficult to say, as most female rats will eat any dead pinks to clean up, and there is no way to tell why they died unless you catch it before they do clean up.

The only good way to tell is if the number is below average or you count from day one... My rats put out anywhere from 9-15 consistently.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by littleindiangirl View Post
    I prefer to put moms in separate nursing tubs. They dont have to compete with other mothers, deal with stress from one mother dominating all the babies, playing ring around the rosy as they steal babies from one another, dealing with too many babies at once, potential cannibalizing from mothers.. etc.

Wild rats prefer to all have a separate nesting chamber, only doing communal nursing when the population is high. I like to follow this lead. I have high numbers of rats, mothers bounce back quickly, babies are all fat and plump! I have complete control over the babies and know who any culprits are if I lose any pups to disease or cannibalism.
    I'm with Connie on separating the moms. Unfortunately when the moms fight over the babies the babies don't always die and you might see live babies with holes in their bodies or missing feet and/or tails. It's very disturbing!
    Laurie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast