Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,984

1 members and 2,983 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Best kind of litter...

Well, after going my entire life without owning a cat- I'm finaly breaking down and getting one. My aunt and I are very close (mentaly and age wise, only four years apart lol), ad she has decided to adopt a kitten from the humane society on Friday. Because of over-crowding, instead of "adopt one cat/kitten get the another for half off!", it is now "adopt one and get the other FREE!"... So, I decided that I might as well... I mean, I think it will be cool, hopefully, and also because my husky pup likes cats- and I would like to keep it that way as she grows... Well, thats what I'm telling my b/f any way- I'm really starting to want one!!

The main reason though why I've never gotten a cat is because of the smell of the litter- whenever I go into a house with a cat I know it before th even tell me, because I can smell the litter from a mile away. Whcih is why I'm asking all of the cat ownders on this site what (in your opinion) the best kind of cat litter is. I;m fine with cleaning it multiple times a day- so long as to keep that smell away!!

Also if theres any other advice that you would like to give this "cat-newbie" before I bring home the little girl/guy, then please feel free..

Thanks!
    Jessika

0.1 NERD Coral Glow
    1.0 Harliquin Great Dane, Gambit
    0.2 Cats, Mojo-Jojo and Rebel
    A hubby that isn't a fan of reptiles but is learning to love them, and a baby girl named Eve 😊❤

Thanks

Re: Best kind of litter...

Generally, if you feed a high quality food, make sure the kitten is free of any and all parasites and clean the litter box often, and it shouldn't smell.

Yesterday's News is nice and relatively inexpensive, there are also some smaller paper pellets, looks like clay but isn't.. Hm.. Tidy Cats(multiple cats type) works really well, and they have the crystal type too. I try to stay away from anything that is made of clay as it just fills up the landfills and doesn't go anywhere. They have a flushable kind now too.

And then there's the litter box with self-washing, reusable litter, that dumps right into the toilet. *love*
    --Becky--
    ?.? Normals, 1.0 100% Het Pied Classic Jungle, 1.0 Yellow Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Butterscotch Hypo, 0.1 100% Het VPI Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Yellow Hypo, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Yellowbellies, 0.1 YB Granite, 1.0 Black Pastel, 1.0 Lemon Pastel, 0.1 50% Possible Het Banded Albino, 0.1 Spider, 1.0 Fire, 0.2 Granite

Thanks

Ohhh, I really like the last one!! lol. Yea, I was just looking at that "Fresh step" kind... We will see- I do agree on the whole cley thing though. And I am planning on feeding a high quality food- I know a lot of differnt kinds and brands for dogs and what to look for, but with cats I'm at a loss.. But I am researching to find out, and will be asking the humane society what they feed, and see if thats "good food" or not.
    Jessika

0.1 NERD Coral Glow
    A hubby that isn't a fan of reptiles but is learning to love them, and a baby girl named Eve 😊❤

Thanks

Humane societies get alot of food donated.. So it could be Science Diet or it could be Ol' Roy. And even Science diet has gone downhill lately with all the crappy grains they are putting in the food.

Try the highest quality you can get, they eat SO much less of it(adult males need about 1/4-1/3C a day and are fine) and poop less as a result. Fillers such as grains just make their poo smell worse, as well as make their hair coat rough and oily.

Wellness, Felidae, Innova Evo, Solid Gold, Bil-Jac (is actually good from what I've read in the ingredients), and a few others. They may seem more expensive, but your cat will live a much longer life and will not have the health problems associated with a poor quality diet(especially at the start of life).
    --Becky--
    ?.? Normals, 1.0 100% Het Pied Classic Jungle, 1.0 Yellow Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Butterscotch Hypo, 0.1 100% Het VPI Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Yellow Hypo, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Yellowbellies, 0.1 YB Granite, 1.0 Black Pastel, 1.0 Lemon Pastel, 0.1 50% Possible Het Banded Albino, 0.1 Spider, 1.0 Fire, 0.2 Granite

Thanks

Best cat litter is Horse Comfort.
    Its feline pine, but for horses and comes in a 50lb bag for about $5. I work at a country store and people buy it for cats and swear by it. no smell and little mess.
    I'm not your friend buddy!

Thanks

when it comes to cat litter you wanna get premium clumping multi cat (even if you have just one) after that just find the cheapest kind cuz they are all the same just the box is decorated diff.

for food i recomend and use nutro natural choice they use no by-products (feet, bones, beaks corn meal, or meal of any kind) they only use high quality products in their foods. it does cost a little more up front but when you compare to how much you actually feed the cat compared to the cheap stuff if avg. out. plus you will have a healtier cat and have to clean out the litter box less often cuz they use more of the food that you are feeding them so there is less waste.

nutro.com has a coupon for a free bag
    "So far this is the oldest that I've been"
    'If you can make it through the nite, there's a brighter day'
    "I'm out the game, put the 2nd string in."
    "live with the pain and keep trying or die knowing you never gave anything a chance"
    "Death is not the greatest loss in life. The greatest loss is what dies inside while still alive"
    "No one can take away your dreams"

People for the Ethical Treatment of Agriculture

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SatanicIntention View Post
    Humane societies get alot of food donated.. So it could be Science Diet or it could be Ol' Roy. And even Science diet has gone downhill lately with all the crappy grains they are putting in the food.

Try the highest quality you can get, they eat SO much less of it(adult males need about 1/4-1/3C a day and are fine) and poop less as a result. Fillers such as grains just make their poo smell worse, as well as make their hair coat rough and oily.

Wellness, Felidae, Innova Evo, Solid Gold, Bil-Jac (is actually good from what I've read in the ingredients), and a few others. They may seem more expensive, but your cat will live a much longer life and will not have the health problems associated with a poor quality diet(especially at the start of life).
    Its OK, cost means nothing- and thank you very much for the suggestions!!
    Jessika

0.1 NERD Coral Glow

Thanks

Feline Pine. It's flushable (in very small amounts), bio-degradable, and natural.

You only need a little because it expands when it gets wet. It also makes it easy to clean the box because you can SEE where the cat has soiled it.

Those self-cleaning litter boxes are TERRIBLE. They're crazy bad for the environment because of all the waste they produce. Please for the love of god do not get one of those.

I'm not going to go into what to feed the cat because I believe in all natural diets. All of my animals are vegetarian (like me) so that I don't have to provide meat. The only exception being the snakes (obviously). They all get nothing but fresh fruits, veggies, grains, etc. No store-bought food for me.

Thanks

Yea, the self cleaning litter box soudns nice- but after looking at them I realized I would rather save a $100 than be lazy lol. And yea, both of my dogs are on all natural diets- with the exception of some table scraps here and ther.. lol. But yes, bio-degradable is very good, so thank you very much!
    Jessika

0.1 NERD Coral Glow

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mindibun View Post
    Feline Pine. It's flushable (in very small amounts), bio-degradable, and natural.

You only need a little because it expands when it gets wet. It also makes it easy to clean the box because you can SEE where the cat has soiled it.

Those self-cleaning litter boxes are TERRIBLE. They're crazy bad for the environment because of all the waste they produce. Please for the love of god do not get one of those.

I'm not going to go into what to feed the cat because I believe in all natural diets. All of my animals are vegetarian (like me) so that I don't have to provide meat. The only exception being the snakes (obviously). They all get nothing but fresh fruits, veggies, grains, etc. No store-bought food for me.
    Your cats get no meat? They are omnivores and do not eat fruits and veggies as part of their natural diet. Grains are not good for them - I feed only grain free food to mine.

Mischevious, I've been studying cat nutrition since I got my most recent two kitties - the best diet you can feed is RAW, but for me and my schedule, RAW just doesn't work.

Wet diet is now preferred over dry, or at the very least, the wet should make up a higher percentage of their food intake with a quality dry kibble to nibble on during the day. I like Innova Evo (thanks Kara!) and I've got links to nutritional content in different canned brands that I can link here if you'd like.

Read http://www.catinfo.org for more information on cat nutrition.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast