Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,984

1 members and 2,983 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

ASF Trio - Females Fighting

So, I started off with 2.2 - knowing that the dominant male would be the one that ended up being the founding male in my collection, and fed off the one that was getting beat up.

Well, just this week (I've had these guys since April), one of the females took to beating up on the other female. A LOT. I had enough of it tonight and fed the bully off to Murphy, who was more than happy to take that donation! LOL

Now, I know I probably should have fed off the one getting beat up (the strongest survive and stuff), but I just didn't want a bully any longer. I have held back two girls that are still probably a month out from breeding age, so now I have a 1.3 group.

Have any of you experienced a female suddenly turning on the other female that she previously got along with ?

BPnet Senior Member Mike Cavanaugh's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,022 Times in 458 Posts

Re: ASF Trio - Females Fighting

do you have any idea when the were first introduced?? were they from different lines? I am starting to suspect that when different lines are introduced... sometimes they will get a long at first, then fight big time later... sometimes months later.
    Mikey Cavanaugh
    (904) 318-3333

Thanks

Robin, I firmly believe there is a dominancy hierarchy within the females in any ASF group. As they begin their breeding cycles at maturity I've seen them start to fuss (even sisters raised together) at each other. When I see it I let it go on as long as nobody's getting chewed up badly because I think they need to sort it out for the good of the colony structure. If it starts to get too much I give the bully a strong squirt of cold water in the face. From what I've seen so far, ASF's simply HATE being wet. Anytime I want to back an ASF off me or another rat or whatever, my misting bottle flipped over to from mist to blast works real well.

As long as they have a hide and numerous tubes to run into the less dominant females can generally get away from the dominant female. I've seen one of our dominant females, when her sisters all dove for cover, go over and smack around the poor male who was just minding his own business and eating quietly. We now refer to her as Big "B" (words rhymes with witch LOL). Since that colony is in full production now she's much less pushy with the other females but will still have her days when she has to run around and remind everyone she is boss lady of the colony.
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

Darn it! why do women have to do this???!!!
    Mikey Cavanaugh
    (904) 318-3333

Thanks

Cause we can!
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by frankykeno View Post
    Cause we can!
    Now that is just mean....
    Mikey Cavanaugh
    (904) 318-3333

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mcavana View Post
    do you have any idea when the were first introduced?? were they from different lines? I am starting to suspect that when different lines are introduced... sometimes they will get a long at first, then fight big time later... sometimes months later.

They were siblings, so they've always been together.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by frankykeno View Post
    Robin, I firmly believe there is a dominancy hierarchy within the females in any ASF group. As they begin their breeding cycles at maturity I've seen them start to fuss (even sisters raised together) at each other. When I see it I let it go on as long as nobody's getting chewed up badly because I think they need to sort it out for the good of the colony structure. If it starts to get too much I give the bully a strong squirt of cold water in the face. From what I've seen so far, ASF's simply HATE being wet. Anytime I want to back an ASF off me or another rat or whatever, my misting bottle flipped over to from mist to blast works real well.

As long as they have a hide and numerous tubes to run into the less dominant females can generally get away from the dominant female. I've seen one of our dominant females, when her sisters all dove for cover, go over and smack around the poor male who was just minding his own business and eating quietly. We now refer to her as Big "B" (words rhymes with witch LOL). Since that colony is in full production now she's much less pushy with the other females but will still have her days when she has to run around and remind everyone she is boss lady of the colony.
    Ah well, too late for the old girl!

Thanks

The only problem now Robin is that you have just a 1.1 pair now? I personally wouldn't try introducing another female into that setup. Anytime I've tried that it was pretty much an instant bloodbath.
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

Not sure if I read correct or not...If you had 2.2 existing in one tub I would not recommend this at all, siblings or not. If males are battling for "rank" the females are also battling because the ladder isn't stable.

I also agree with Jo, it is difficult introducing a single new asf to a group...even two who have been together a while. I have done it but it is not common for me. My breeding groups are usually put together at a younger age so they still have some "growing up" to do, I don't usually get any violence with this method, but things can still happen to cause disorder just keep an eye on them daily.
    www.ASFRats.info African soft-furred rats information and exchange.

www.WarrenReptiles.com
    Website Hosting available see site for details

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast