Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,133

1 members and 3,132 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Do I get Paid for this??? LadyOhh's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,115 Times in 1,073 Posts
    Blog Entries

Moved Egg problems

Anyone want to weigh in on this?

My most recent clutch was rotated... Before any markings on any eggs could be done, the mother released her coils, and the eggs were not adhered together (within 12 hours of being laid) to my surprise.

ALL of the eggs rolled out.

Now, I candled everything, and there are veins in everyone, as well as a band of no veins, similiar to the egg that had only half veins before (another thread).

HOW does one distinguish where the embryo is attached or where the air bubble is to be able to right up the egg to the proper positioning???

I have looked everywhere, asked a couple of people, and really really really really really (DID I MENTION REALLY) need this clutch to survive...

I have never had this problem before, and I am stumped, and thought it may be helpful for others to learn what I was unable to find as well.

Any thoughts?
    Heather Wong
    I AM the Wonginator
    Heather's Herps Website
    READ MY BLOG!!!
    Balls for Life, Baby!!!

Thanks

Re: Moved Egg problems

Hmm, does the ebryo pick a spot within 12 hours? I think the further along the more sensitive they are to repositioning.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Here is a link to the egg that I was mentioning with the band of no veins

http://www.ball-pythons.net/forums/s...63&postcount=7
    Heather Wong
    I AM the Wonginator
    Heather's Herps Website
    READ MY BLOG!!!
    Balls for Life, Baby!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,795 Times in 1,171 Posts

I've had eggs get moved hours after being laid. Usually it was because the female wouldn't release them and these were burms, but the eggs did hatch.

I just put them in the incubator the way I found them.

I don't think 12 hours is long enough for attachment to complete so you should be ok.

Oh, and let me guess, this was my female too, right?
    I may not be very smart, but what if I am?
    Stinky says, "Women should be obscene but not heard." Stinky is one smart man.
    www.humanewatch.org

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wilomn View Post
    Oh, and let me guess, this was my female too, right?
    Nope Sorry...
    Heather Wong
    I AM the Wonginator
    Heather's Herps Website
    READ MY BLOG!!!
    Balls for Life, Baby!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,678 Times in 1,596 Posts
    Blog Entries

I think you should be OK Heather. Last year I had a clutch that wasn't adhered AND mom didn't even bother to wrap them. When I opened the tub all the eggs rolled up to the front to greet me. I set them up and 4 or the 5 hatched and the 5th had a full term baby in it, so rolling around loose like pinballs did nothing to stop their development. I don't how long it takes for the eggs to develop an orientation, but I think it's longer then 12 hours.

Mark

Thanks
    Thanked 1,606 Times in 618 Posts

Heather,
    I just recently got a clutch of eggs from a female (that I really, really need to hatch) as well. These eggs were held together, and did not roll when I removed the female. Even though they remained how she had them, three of them were upside down. I relayed that story mostly to show that they don't always lay them right, even if the don't roll.

With that said, we do candle every one of our eggs and mark the embryo and face it skyward when we place it in the incubator box. I do not know if this is necessary, but I have never lost an egg that had strong veining and no other outward problems upon being laid. Here is how we do it. When you candle the egg, you should see a portion of the egg that is yellow in color and no veins are present (or few at best). This is the bottom of the egg. Turn the egg over and you should see a pink glow and numerous veins. In the middle of the veins you should see what I can best describe as a halo. In the center of the halo will be a black dot(which I believe is actually the eye of the snake). Gently shake the egg, and you will see the black dot move. This is where I put my pencil mark, and place that mark facing skyward in the box. As stated before, Ido this with every egg, and sometimes have had to rotate an egg 180 degrees from the way it was laying under the female.

I hope that helps, and my description was understood. Let me know if you need any clarification.

p.s. For god sake, let us know what the clutch is. LOL.

Good Luck,
    Tim Bailey
    (A.K.A. MBM or Art Pimp)
    www.baileyreptiles.com
    The Blog

8. The Following User Says Thank You to muddoc For This Useful Post:

J.P. (05-03-2014)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by muddoc View Post
    I just recently got a clutch of eggs from a female (that I really, really need to hatch) as well.

You too Tim.
    "Selective Breeding Begins With Selective Buying"

Louis Kirkland
    Stealth Exotics on facebook
    Cornerstone Reptiles on facebook

Thanks
    Thanked 2,678 Times in 1,596 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by muddoc View Post
    Heather,
    I just recently got a clutch of eggs from a female (that I really, really need to hatch) as well. These eggs were held together, and did not roll when I removed the female. Even though they remained how she had them, three of them were upside down. I relayed that story mostly to show that they don't always lay them right, even if the don't roll.

With that said, we do candle every one of our eggs and mark the embryo and face it skyward when we place it in the incubator box. I do not know if this is necessary, but I have never lost an egg that had strong veining and no other outward problems upon being laid. Here is how we do it. When you candle the egg, you should see a portion of the egg that is yellow in color and no veins are present (or few at best). This is the bottom of the egg. Turn the egg over and you should see a pink glow and numerous veins. In the middle of the veins you should see what I can best describe as a halo. In the center of the halo will be a black dot(which I believe is actually the eye of the snake). Gently shake the egg, and you will see the black dot move. This is where I put my pencil mark, and place that mark facing skyward in the box. As stated before, Ido this with every egg, and sometimes have had to rotate an egg 180 degrees from the way it was laying under the female.

I hope that helps, and my description was understood. Let me know if you need any clarification.

Good Luck,
    Thanks Tim, this is good information. I don't always candle every egg laid, but I do have good looking eggs go bad on me every year, even ones that I did candle that had good veins. I wonder if this is the reason why? I'll have to pay more attention to what is located where inside the egg and not just look for veins.

Thanks

* Nervously awaits word on Heather Clutch .. *

^_^

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast