Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,882

0 members and 2,882 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: ASF sterilite tub (pics)

Quote Originally Posted by littleindiangirl View Post
    I have mike, several times... I am still not a fan of letting my animals pee and poo on top of their food. I'd rather they didn't sit on top of the hopper, and I'm just guessing (since my tubs are only 12 " high) that they would be able to chew the ledge... I don't have it in front of me to measure anything, but those were the two things that concerned me at the time.
    Methinks that this is a different hopper than the one that is stickied that you are thinking of - especially since you alluded to it lifting the lid a bit, and the one in that link can't lift the lid the way he has it set-up.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

*Update*

A note of caution, I have gone through quite a few wheels for these buggers, and the only ones we have available around here are the powder coated metal wire wheels.

The ASF's have chewed off the paint on a few of them, and in those tubs the wire of the wheel rusted pretty easily and one of my males now has sores on the bottom of his feet.

If you are going to consider giving them wheels, avoid any powder coated (painted) wheels, but go for stainless steel ones, or plastic.

I have been keeping wheels away from the coming up litters for some time now, and my breeders have been removed from them completely this past weekend.

In return I gave them a bunch of things to chew and destroy including very thick cardboard tubes, seeds, wood blocks, dog biscuits, and also many types of paper products to shred, since we all know how they freak when we take away something they depend on for stress release.
    Thanks for that tip - I'll watch with my guys and their wheels. I use the same that you have pictured and I've not had any chewing of the wheels (they're too busy spinning each other out of the wheel to have time to chew - quite cute with five crammed on one wheel and some go flying out the sides when they get going! LOL)

Knock on wood, no chipped/chewed paint and no rust on any of my wheels - been using them since April.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rabernet View Post
    Methinks that this is a different hopper than the one that is stickied that you are thinking of - especially since you alluded to it lifting the lid a bit, and the one in that link can't lift the lid the way he has it set-up.

Ohp, n/m, we're talkin about two different things! LOL

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rabernet View Post
    Thanks for that tip - I'll watch with my guys and their wheels. I use the same that you have pictured and I've not had any chewing of the wheels (they're too busy spinning each other out of the wheel to have time to chew - quite cute with five crammed on one wheel and some go flying out the sides when they get going! LOL)

Knock on wood, no chipped/chewed paint and no rust on any of my wheels - been using them since April.
    Yea, I have only about 3 original wheels left of about 7. I didn't pay enough attention to see who the culprit was since I switch all of the rats up every week. I'd like to keep wheels in their tubs since they really love it, but I need to find one without the paint for these guys.

Thanks

So quick question.

Why the wire mesh everyone seems to have on their cages?
    Can't I just melt holes in the tub like we do for snake ventilation on racks?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hobbyist View Post
    So quick question.

Why the wire mesh everyone seems to have on their cages?
    Can't I just melt holes in the tub like we do for snake ventilation on racks?
    I think the reason is without enough ventilation, the tubs would be horribly "stinky". I imagine it would smell like pure ammonia after a few days.

Thanks

I guess the question is do you want a mild smell in your room of choice and a bad one on cleaning day (assumably outside), or with wire mesh I assume the smell would dissipate enough it wouldnt be as bad on cleaning day, but your room may smell a bit worse for it.
    I ask because im going to be raising two-three colonies in a one-bedroom apartment in the next few weeks, and dont want guests to balk at the smell.
    Any ideas besides treated bedding, good ventilation, vanilla in water, and ot overcrowding?

Thanks

ASF's in small numbers don't smell so strongly your entire house will smell. I have a particularly sensitive nose to them too.

The hardware cloth is best for the animals health. Ammonia build up will make your rats sick. Rats have a higher rate of respiration than snakes, they also pee and poop a lot more too. More ventilation the better!

Thanks

rack for the weaners .
    PERVERT.

Thanks

Are you still using these cool tubs to house your ASF's or have you gone on to something new?

I want to make a pair of these also. Can you tell me if they ever chewed out of the tubs?

Thank you,

Luke

I asked Heath (tekwarren) on his forum about how to set up the ASF, and he told me he uses sterilite tubs. Well, here's some pics of how I did it after seeing pics of his tubs. These are 54 qt tubs, used for the wider footprint.

They still haven't tried to chew out, and use the wheel like it is their duty in life.

Tub

Water bottle

Lid and Hopper

Rats

Pee corner

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast