Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 544

0 members and 544 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Ziggy31984 (40)

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    BPnet Senior Member Mike Cavanaugh's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,022 Times in 458 Posts

Re: ASF sterilite tub (pics)

Quote Originally Posted by Ladydragon View Post
    kewl, thanx for the measurements and the link. Going to see what I can do. Now the biggest problem is to convince hubby that I need to breed asf's.
    Just show him all the money you will save in time! Most men think with their wallets... and this is easy to understand!
    Mikey Cavanaugh
    (904) 318-3333

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by littleindiangirl View Post
    I asked Heath (tekwarren) on his forum about how to set up the ASF, and he told me he uses sterilite tubs. Well, here's some pics of how I did it after seeing pics of his tubs. These are 54 qt tubs, used for the wider footprint.

They still haven't tried to chew out, and use the wheel like it is their duty in life.

Tub

Water bottle

Lid and Hopper

Rats

Pee corner

This rocks! Thanks Connie for all your help!!
    ____JOSHUA____
    ______
    ROCK CHALK JAYHAWK GO KU!!

Kansas City Chiefs

Thanks

OK connie, how do you get the water bottle out from under that holder? I did that with my regular rats, and I had to switch to zip ties....I did something wrong...LOL.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stangs13 View Post
    OK connie, how do you get the water bottle out from under that holder? I did that with my regular rats, and I had to switch to zip ties....I did something wrong...LOL.
    LMAO, I just lift the metal holder... It moves up and down. Pull it up over the water bottle, pull out the water bottle, refill, and put back. Easy peasy

Registered User Chandler reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks

If you notice them chewing around the water bottle tip on the plastic you can find fender washers with the opening for the water bottle and use some aquarium sealant to glue it on with, works like a champ for mice to.
    Jeff Chandler

Myspace

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chandler reptiles View Post
    If you notice them chewing around the water bottle tip on the plastic you can find fender washers with the opening for the water bottle and use some aquarium sealant to glue it on with, works like a champ for mice to.
    Thats a great idea, the super glue did not work very well. Thanks man

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by littleindiangirl View Post
    Thats a great idea, the super glue did not work very well. Thanks man
    BTW, copying this from Jamie's thread. I have already changed the lid design...

After having that thread here and at ASF forums, people heartily recommended I move the hoppers into the middle of the tub to prevent any lid chewing and I did.

All the water bottle holes are untouched.

Oh, and I hung the wheels from the lids too and that has been working out really well.

I actually like the taller tubs for ASF's because the lids keep the wheels farther off the ground, which leaves more floor space for the ASF's. But I have mostly 54 qts for holding ASF's, and I use the taller 66 qts for the breeders.

66 qt

I'll take more pictures and swap them out tonight.
    Last edited by littleindiangirl; 10-02-2008 at 12:58 PM.

BPnet Senior Member Mike Cavanaugh's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,022 Times in 458 Posts

do you have an updated pic connie?
    Mikey Cavanaugh
    (904) 318-3333

Thanks

I'm getting my tubs today and I wonder if making the hopper out of 1/2" is going to be a problem? I have one now on current setup, but the babies are bigger. I'm worried that once we have new little ones, they could crawl up the hopper, get on the inside and shoot out the top. Would the hoppers work if made of 1/4" hardware cloth?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by grammie View Post
    I'm getting my tubs today and I wonder if making the hopper out of 1/2" is going to be a problem? I have one now on current setup, but the babies are bigger. I'm worried that once we have new little ones, they could crawl up the hopper, get on the inside and shoot out the top. Would the hoppers work if made of 1/4" hardware cloth?
    All of my hoppers reach down to the floor where they can climb (except the bit of room underneath to make sure the food doesn't get contaminated with feces and urine), and I have yet to experience a run away or even see them attempt it.

I recommend you do it if you feel more comfortable that way, but my hoppers aren't always full to the brim and the lid screen themselves are also 1/2" except for maybe 1 lid.

I went with the 1/2" because while I believe mice can easily eat through 1/4", I do not believe it would be easy for ASF's as they do grow quite a bit larger than mice, and also I found the 1/4" around here to be really flimsy screen that is cut through easily. I much rather prefer the thicker wiring on the 1/2" for strength to hold the weight of a full hopper (since it does not rest on the floor of the tub, but hangs), and ASF's can't chew through it.

I'm not sure how people do experience run aways, having seen at what age and size they start climbing, and they don't really want to climb while their eyes are still closed, and also my ASF's once their eyes are open they are too big to climb through the 1/2" cloth.

For the one lid that I did use 1/4" on, I used it on top of the 1/2" and secured it on with wire.

*Update*

A note of caution, I have gone through quite a few wheels for these buggers, and the only ones we have available around here are the powder coated metal wire wheels.

The ASF's have chewed off the paint on a few of them, and in those tubs the wire of the wheel rusted pretty easily and one of my males now has sores on the bottom of his feet.

If you are going to consider giving them wheels, avoid any powder coated (painted) wheels, but go for stainless steel ones, or plastic.

I have been keeping wheels away from the coming up litters for some time now, and my breeders have been removed from them completely this past weekend.

In return I gave them a bunch of things to chew and destroy including very thick cardboard tubes, seeds, wood blocks, dog biscuits, and also many types of paper products to shred, since we all know how they freak when we take away something they depend on for stress release.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast