Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,825

1 members and 2,824 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    BPnet Senior Member Mike Cavanaugh's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,022 Times in 458 Posts

Re: ASF sterilite tub (pics)

Quote Originally Posted by littleindiangirl View Post
    I will say, I like yours for a tank mike, but not a tub.

The reasoning behind not using that style in a tub is because they can pee and defecate on the food by sitting on top of the food hopper. (which they all do) Also, while on top of the food hopper, they have a nice seat/ladder to sit on and chew any ledges. My style of hopper can be made in the middle of the tub, to prevent any of that chewing of the sides, (which may happen in future tubs to closely resemble Heath's original design).

I speak from my experience with the tubs and the side sitting hoppers for domestic rats, and have experienced nibblers with that style, and also, the food was plain nasty after a week...

Also, this didn't matter for the large rats, but the cloth or wire that sticks out the side of the tub to hold the hopper raises the lip just a little, which I would be worried about babies climbing up your style and squeezing through. Good for tanks, not so much for tubs...

The weight of the hopper holds down the lid to prevent any wanna be ninja rats.

I disagree 100%! anyone who has ever picked up an asf knows what direction the flies!!!! ASF's while climbing up any hopper will pee as they hang off the side. LOL! are you sugesting that your hoppers do not get urinated on regularly???!!!! I challenge you to take that sensitive nose of yours and smell one of those hoppers you built after emptying any food.

If they sit on top of the hopper, the top of the tub and any leges are a good foot away from them!!! So how do you figure they would be able to sit and chew on them?

With a proper fitting lid, even babies can NOT get into the hopper!
    Mikey Cavanaugh
    (904) 318-3333

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mcavana View Post
    I disagree 100%! anyone who has ever picked up an asf knows what direction the flies!!!! ASF's while climbing up any hopper will pee as they hang off the side. LOL! are you sugesting that your hoppers do not get urinated on regularly???!!!! I challenge you to take that sensitive nose of yours and smell one of those hoppers you built after emptying any food.

If they sit on top of the hopper, the top of the tub and any leges are a good foot away from them!!! So how do you figure they would be able to sit and chew on them?

With a proper fitting lid, even babies can NOT get into the hopper!
    Wow... Um... a bit excitable?

I guess I underestimate how short your hoppers really are, those tubs are only 12 inches high...

Anywho...
    Yes all rats pee as they go, but I'm not sure what you are suggesting here. I'd rather they pee from the outside of the hopper, and not on top. Poop still goes straight down with gravity last I checked.

I'd rather the lid of the tub was sitting flush.

Thanks for the great comments Mike!
    Last edited by littleindiangirl; 07-16-2008 at 11:18 AM.

Thanks

Also, this didn't matter for the large rats, but the cloth or wire that sticks out the side of the tub to hold the hopper raises the lip just a little, which I would be worried about babies climbing up your style and squeezing through. Good for tanks, not so much for tubs...
    I guess I underestimate how short your hoppers really are, those tubs are only 12 inches high...

Anywho...
    Yes all rats pee as they go, but I'm not sure what you are suggesting here. I'd rather they pee from the outside of the hopper, and not on top. Poop still goes straight down with gravity last I checked.

I'd rather the lid of the tub was sitting flush.
    Talk about excitable... apparently you haven't even looked at the link I provided before shooting down my hopper. I am talking about my tall tub hopper, NOT my tank hopper. Do yourself a favor and take another look at the link.

First, we must be talking about two different tubs. I don't know the total hight of my tubs at the moment (because I am at work) but they are taller then 12 inches. My hoppers in the pictures are I believe 3 inches high?

With the pee as they go... All I am suggesting is that no matter what style hopper you use, they will pee and poop on it. If they are hanging on the side of your hopper and pee, what direction do you thing the pee is going to go??? Straight onto/into the hopper.

As far as a little poop getting in the food... #1, this will happen regardless of the hopper style. #2 eating fecies is normal for a rat. There is nothing wrong with it.

Easy Tiger.

Mike
    Mikey Cavanaugh
    (904) 318-3333

Thanks

Okay Mike, for the sake of ending this, I'll say your right.

On that note...
    I like my way of doing things now, and that may all change in the future. I am calling on my experiences with rats and applying it to my ASF tubs. I do not like TANKS, I try to not use them. I'm glad they work for you, but the way I have my tubs set up is what I've found to work best for me and my animals.

You've only had your asf's a few months more than me and we have both found ways that work for our situations.

Again, thanks for all the constructive critisism It is appreciated!

Thanks

Okay Mike, for the sake of ending this, I'll say your right.

On that note...
    I like my way of doing things now, and that may all change in the future. I am calling on my experiences with rats and applying it to my ASF tubs. I do not like TANKS, I try to not use them. I'm glad they work for you, but the way I have my tubs set up is what I've found to work best for me and my animals.

You've only had your asf's a few months more than me and we have both found ways that work for our situations.

Again, thanks for all the constructive critisism It is appreciated!

connie,

I am not talking about tanks. will you please just take a minute to look at the link in question???

http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showthread.php?t=70923
    Mikey Cavanaugh
    (904) 318-3333

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mcavana View Post
    connie,

I am not talking about tanks. will you please just take a minute to look at the link in question???

http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showthread.php?t=70923
    I have mike, several times... I am still not a fan of letting my animals pee and poo on top of their food. I'd rather they didn't sit on top of the hopper, and I'm just guessing (since my tubs are only 12 " high) that they would be able to chew the ledge... I don't have it in front of me to measure anything, but those were the two things that concerned me at the time.

Thanks

Connie, what is the model number of the tub you're using? I like the idea and I do plan on getting some asf's to start my own breeding colony, seeing as how my snake collection is growing rapidly. If the tub has dimensions on the label I would appreciate those measurements as well. thanx. Both ideas look good and I think that whatever works for each individual person is good as long as they are happy with the end results and the animals are healthy and well taken care of.
    Doris

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ladydragon View Post
    Connie, what is the model number of the tub you're using? I like the idea and I do plan on getting some asf's to start my own breeding colony, seeing as how my snake collection is growing rapidly. If the tub has dimensions on the label I would appreciate those measurements as well. thanx. Both ideas look good and I think that whatever works for each individual person is good as long as they are happy with the end results and the animals are healthy and well taken care of.
    It's the 54 quart sterilite tubs.

23"L x 16 3/4"W x 11 7/8"H

Here is a link to their webpage, although mine don't have pretty blue lids.
    http://www.sterilite.com/ProductDeta...ection=Storage

What I have changed so far on one of my tubs is add the 1/4" hardware cloth to the underside of the lid (on my other breeding tub).

The 1/4" hardware cloth is very flimsy like screen, but the plus side to that is you can cut it with a nice sturdy pair of scissors! LOL.

I don't trust the 1/4" hardware cloth alone, and if these ASF's are rumored to be such hardcore chewers, they should have no trouble getting through the screen like thickness.

Also for the hanging lid hopper, the 1/2" is sturdier and won't break from the weight of the food.

I'll have to take some pics tonight of what I am doing. On the ASF forum, Shrap gave the idea instead of weaving the wire through the whole lid, to just twist a piece where the zip ties are. I like that idea and will probably be doing that in addition to the zipties, unless I feel like melting them off.

Everything is coming together folks!

Thanks

kewl, thanx for the measurements and the link. Going to see what I can do. Now the biggest problem is to convince hubby that I need to breed asf's.
    Doris

Thanks

I have mike, several times... I am still not a fan of letting my animals pee and poo on top of their food. I'd rather they didn't sit on top of the hopper, and I'm just guessing (since my tubs are only 12 " high) that they would be able to chew the ledge... I don't have it in front of me to measure anything, but those were the two things that concerned me at the time.

Gotcha.
    Mikey Cavanaugh
    (904) 318-3333

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast