Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 499

1 members and 498 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Ziggy31984 (40)

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: ASF sterilite tub (pics)

Very similar to my rodent tubs, tho I weave wire for the hardware cloth.

And my mice use their wheels all the time...sometimes 3-4 at once.

I might have to try that larger tub, tho. The ones I use are 'Large' Rubbermaid @26x15x10.
    **Adriana - White 'N Nerdy!**

1.0 BP 'SunSpot', 0.1 Corn 'Freya', 1.0 IJ BTS 'Topaz', 1.0 ND bunny 'Licorice'

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FIREball View Post
    KILLER setup!!! I use a rack with the cement tubs and I have to use a 2x4 under the water botltle so my weanlings can reach it. For someone with a few trios this is a MUST have!
    I was JUST thinking about how that would work out in the concrete tub rack for the weaners, and I was figuring I would have to use a water bottle that can reach down farther for the weaners.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by littleindiangirl View Post
    We'll see how it goes, but I'm pretty confident the ASF won't begin to chew the lids.
    Famous last words!!...lol... Trust me. If its with in reach, the ASF's will chew them.

Thanks

I appreciate the thoughts

Thanks

The funny thing I've found at least so far with the asf's is that they're not near as chewy as I would have expected. Everybody has said they chew on everything..but mine have had the same cardboard boxes since they got here last month and still haven't gone all the way through them. They seem quite content as long as they have those and wood to chew on though.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Skittles46 View Post
    The funny thing I've found at least so far with the asf's is that they're not near as chewy as I would have expected. Everybody has said they chew on everything..but mine have had the same cardboard boxes since they got here last month and still haven't gone all the way through them. They seem quite content as long as they have those and wood to chew on though.
    I'm in the same boat, for the months I've had mine, they have yet to exhibit this strong urge to chew like many claim they do.

Then again, lots of people have domestic rats chew out of racks all the time, I have never had that happen... I strongly believe it varies...

They prefer to chew the woods blocks and run all day... Like I said, we'll see how it goes! Any violaters will be terminated! hahaha

Thanks

I posted on the other forum but left something out that you are doing that is key. Giving the rats "things" to interact with and not overcrowding them is the key to a long lasting rodent tub. I've been using the same steralite tubs for about 4yrs...about 2.5 with the asf's in them and there is minimal chewing around the lid. I used wire but I rarely see mine hanging upside down long enough or near an edge long enough to chew on the lid.
    www.ASFRats.info African soft-furred rats information and exchange.

www.WarrenReptiles.com
    Website Hosting available see site for details

Thanks

I've gone and attached some 1/4" to the underside of my breeders tub lid, if they have babies, they aren't getting out! It also covers up any plastic zipties, so far all the tubs ties are in tact....

BPnet Senior Member Mike Cavanaugh's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,022 Times in 458 Posts

Just in case anyone missed it, here is another option for the food hopper part. They both work equally well, I prefer this style because it does not allow them any access to the top.

http://www.ball-pythons.net/forums/s...ad.php?t=70923
    Mikey Cavanaugh
    (904) 318-3333

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mcavana View Post
    Just in case anyone missed it, here is another option for the food hopper part. They both work equally well, I prefer this style because it does not allow them any access to the top.

http://www.ball-pythons.net/forums/s...ad.php?t=70923
    I will say, I like yours for a tank mike, but not a tub.

The reasoning behind not using that style in a tub is because they can pee and defecate on the food by sitting on top of the food hopper. (which they all do) Also, while on top of the food hopper, they have a nice seat/ladder to sit on and chew any ledges. My style of hopper can be made in the middle of the tub, to prevent any of that chewing of the sides, (which may happen in future tubs to closely resemble Heath's original design).

I speak from my experience with the tubs and the side sitting hoppers for domestic rats, and have experienced nibblers with that style, and also, the food was plain nasty after a week...

Also, this didn't matter for the large rats, but the cloth or wire that sticks out the side of the tub to hold the hopper raises the lip just a little, which I would be worried about babies climbing up your style and squeezing through. Good for tanks, not so much for tubs...

The weight of the hopper holds down the lid to prevent any wanna be ninja rats.
    Last edited by littleindiangirl; 07-16-2008 at 10:10 AM. Reason: spelling...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast