Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,891

2 members and 2,889 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Angry Sometimes, vets can be ...

So my little husky pup (well, HUGE husky pup- almost 40lbs female and still a pup!) is just one week over 5months now, and has a problem. Her two upper canines had both broke when she was a "littler" pup (I dont know how), and we were just waiting for them to come out on thei own. Well, both teeth are still there, broken, gray- and pushed out sideways because her adult teeth have completely come in!

So I call the vet about an hour ago to tell him that I think we will have to get them pulled, and he agrees- but ONLY if I will get her spayed next month. Now, I'm not 100% sure whether or not I want to breed her, if not, she will be spayed- if I do, she will be bred once in a few years, and then be spayed. Wither way, she will be spayed, as I exsplained to the vet. He said NO, thats its a 'policy' of their clinic to have all animals spayed ASAP... Sooo I told him that his is MY dog, not his, she is in perfect health, nothing wrong with her, and it is up to me to get her spayed or not.

Than he said he refuses to microchip her or pull the teeth (since she should be sedadted for both of those, too) unless I agree to get her spayed. So I called another vet and set up an appointment with them.

It just makes me PO'd that he had the nerve to tell me what to do with MY dog! My moms been going to him for years, I just started because I liked how he worked with her dog, but of course my mom had no intensions of breeding her dog (too aggressive).

Has this ever happend to any of you? Sorry this is so long, its just that though I think it is good for a vet to encourage people to spay and neuter, they shouldent say "Well its my way or I;m not doing it"... But maybe thats just my opinion?
    Jessika

0.1 NERD Coral Glow
    1.0 Harliquin Great Dane, Gambit
    0.2 Cats, Mojo-Jojo and Rebel
    A hubby that isn't a fan of reptiles but is learning to love them, and a baby girl named Eve 😊❤

Thanks

Re: Sometimes, vets can be ******...

i have never had a vet tell us we had to get our dogs spayed...

but we left our vet monday and have started going to a new one because my two dogs got in a fight and the smaller one sufferd the cut...
    so we brought her to the vet and waited for 3 hours, were told we had to wait another 1.5 hours, and at that point a vet hadnt even seen the dogs leg...

so yeah, i feel your pain...
    sucks for him that he doenst get paid to pull some teeth...
    2.0 Ball Pythons
    0.1 Red Tail Boas
    1.4 Rabbits
    0.1 German Shepherd

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

GR. I guess he has the right to tell you that and you have the right to choose another vet! I do not like it when vets get militant about spaying and neutering. Some breeders are doing a good job. Some do the health clearances and pay attention to temperament and conformation and function of the dog.

Oh well. Good luck at the new vet.

~~ZinniaZ
    2.1.0 ball python-- James Herriot the Spider BP and Paradox, my son's female normal BP, Jack London, het red axanthic
    0.1 Blue Beauty-- Anna Sewall

Thanks

In my opinion, the vet has the right to state how he wants to conduct his business and you have every right to tell him you think that's stupid and take your business elsewhere, telling him why and that you'll tell everyone you know how you disagree with his practices.
    0.1 ball python (Cleo), 0.1 surinam bcc (Carmen)
    1.0 sunglow motley corn (Jenson), 1.0 albino burmese (Lourdes)
    1.0 cat (Nicky), some mooses and ratters, 1.0 hubby (Rick)

Thanks

no it hasnt happened to me... i do understand there is terrible over population of pets and no real good reason to breed more of them but thats another subject. Unfortunately for you if he owns the office then it up to him to make his own policies and you would need to abide by his rules/laws/exc however annoying they may be. If you dont like his practices you would obviously need to go elsewhere. i personally have never had that happen to me though.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cassandra View Post
    In my opinion, the vet has the right to state how he wants to conduct his business and you have every right to tell him you think that's stupid and take your business elsewhere, telling him why and that you'll tell everyone you know how you disagree with his practices.
    I'm really confused with what you said. D:

That slightly angers me. My dog is not spayed because we might want to breed her and it's expensive and pointless to spay her really. (she doesn't go outside or get out and she's really small.)
    Plus I have a friend of mine who has purebred Whipits and is permitted from fixing any of her dogs because they are show dogs and may be chosen to breed.

It's not the vets place.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by blackcrystal22 View Post
    \
    It's not the vets place.
    imo his practice, his place.. dont like it go elsewhere, as blunt as that is its the truth, no different then going with att, hating their service and switching to sprint, dont like it go somewhere else.

If you do research, it isnt just about pet over population, its about the health of the dog too.. seriously, look it up. I worked at a vets office for many years and cant tell you how many times we did spays on females because they were impregnated and the owners didnt want a litter, or spays on teenage dogs because they were full of cancer caused by not being spayed. They are more prone to cancers and tumors when not spayed as you will read.. good enough reason IMO to spay.

Unless you have some grand champion show dog there is no reason to breed your pet. My mom wanted to breed her male yorkie but he was not the ideal for the breed. he was a lovely dog but confirmation, size, exc were not perfect for the breed. Needless to say he was neutered two months ago. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but if more animals were "fixed" pet over population wouldnt be what it is today.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ADEE View Post
    imo his practice, his place.. dont like it go elsewhere, as blunt as that is its the truth, no different then going with att, hating their service and switching to sprint, dont like it go somewhere else.

If you do research, it isnt just about pet over population, its about the health of the dog too.. seriously, look it up. I worked at a vets office for many years and cant tell you how many times we did spays on females because they were impregnated and the owners didnt want a litter, or spays on teenage dogs because they were full of cancer caused by not being spayed. They are more prone to cancers and tumors when not spayed as you will read.. good enough reason IMO to spay.

Unless you have some grand champion show dog there is no reason to breed your pet. My mom wanted to breed her male yorkie but he was not the ideal for the breed. he was a lovely dog but confirmation, size, exc were not perfect for the breed. Needless to say he was neutered two months ago. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but if more animals were "fixed" pet over population wouldnt be what it is today.
    Whatever the argument is, and whatever the right thing is, it's still not the vets decision.
    I think suggestion is fine, but necessity is a bit wrong. If there's no other vet around (if you live in the middle of nowhere) it's almost like cornering the market.
    I'd prefer to have people that I know breed dogs and get puppies and sell them rather than buy them from a petstore that originated from puppy mills.

Thanks

I agree with not getting puppy mill puppies, but if you want a certain dog and will not adopt from a shelter you can get any dog you want flown into you from a breeder who has show quality dogs. If not there are rescues all over the place that are breed specific. such as dachshund rescue, basset rescue, exc.

As for the vet, as i said before.. its annoying but totally 100% his right to be that way if he owns the practice. Im sure in his mind hes making a conscious effort to help limit further over population, i actually commend him for sticking to his guns, takes a big person to care about their cause so much they will even turn away business to keep it going.

Thanks

its really not the vets decision any way you look at it.

the dog shouldnt get fixed at 5 months any way, she is to young,

he should have told her that he would have done it if she agreed to have her dog spayed by his office/clinic what not.

i agree with him being hard core about getting dogs fixed, but im sorry it really isnt his place to tell her he wont put a chip in the dog, or pull teeth unless the dog gets fixed at the same time.
    neither of my dogs are spayed, there is no need.

even if she doesnt breed, she shouldnt be forced to get the dog fixed.
    2.0 Ball Pythons
    0.1 Red Tail Boas
    1.4 Rabbits
    0.1 German Shepherd

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast