Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,579

0 members and 2,579 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable

View Poll Results: What do you keep your ASF's in?

Voters
125. You may not vote on this poll
  • glass tanks

47 37.60%
  • standard rat tubs in a rack

38 30.40%
  • tall storage tubs

27 21.60%
  • Other

13 10.40%
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: what do you keep your ASF's in

*just an old plastic margarine tub with a lid, whomp down the tub over said little racing boogerhead, slide the lid very carefully along the floor, under the tub and in one practised motion flip over the tub whilst snapping on the lid....bingo...one caught albeit crabby as heck ASF ready for safe transport!
    ya know the stall at the fairground ? you know , the get a goldfish by throwing a ping pong ball in the bowl ? ....... well I was crap at that ,lol weaners BOUNCE to much ( ahm sure there related distantly too kangaroos !!! ).... I did try with a container .....tasmanian devil springs to mind !

Its a really nice , pleasent view to watch a ASF try to be a gecko and climb glass . Too funny .
    1.0 Graziani Pastel
    0.1 Bumblebee
    0.1 Albino
    2.5 Wild type ( 2 Reduced Females )

''Time is the blink of an eye , use it wisely''

Thanks

Ours are in tubs in a rack and 10 gallon tanks. I haven't had any chewing problems in the tubs and obviously none in the tanks . In fact I haven't had any chewing problems at all in the past few months. I've started to give the rats more leftovers and dog biscuits and the problem has stopped. Idle minds are the rat's playground. Or something like that.

Thanks

Scottish ASFs are tenacious wee buggers ...always wanting to prove a point !
    1.0 Graziani Pastel
    0.1 Bumblebee
    0.1 Albino
    2.5 Wild type ( 2 Reduced Females )

''Time is the blink of an eye , use it wisely''

Thanks

I use the Ars Caging 3021 with the 5" deep bins. They seem to do alright in there.

Thanks

custom built rat racks

Thanks

I keep my new 1.1 group ASF in an high IKEA tub (12 gallon), the same i keep my mice in since a couple of weeks. without any signs of chewing or escapees.
    Lightweight, stackable, round edges that prevent chewing and high enough for a wheel, cheap by the way, simply perfect.
    Hope my new fuzzies settle in soon and start to produce some lil babies, like my mice where I am waiting for my first preggo momma to give birth in a couple of days...
    1.0 Ballpython Pete Townshend
    1.0 Boa BCI Bob Marley
    1.0 Cornsnake Elton John
    0.0.1. Rogers racersnake (Platyceps/Coluber rogersi) Mike Tyson
    0.3. Leopard Geckos (1 normal, 1 SHT het. Albino)
    0.0.1 Pacman Frog Albino, Tosh
    0.0.1 Tockay, Rudy
    1.1. Red Oscars (1 normal, 1 albino), 0.0.2 catfish (corys)

Thanks

Whoa, Mike, check that out... lots of glass tank choices.

Okay, I have pet ASFs and feeder ones. The feeder ones started on a Penn Tennis Balls tub modified like the sterilite tubs on the DIY section. The pet ones (my trio breeder) started in a Habitrail hamster condo. The kids are always playing with the rats and the kids would not close the condo properly, so I moved them to a rubbermaid tub. They're in my office by my feet because I love looking at them all day long and I can't see clearly through the side of the tub. So, then my husband decided to get my son a hognose for Christmas, so we're preparing the tank. We would now have 3 snake tanks but not enough shelves, so we decided to put oversized built-in bookshelves on the office wall to put the snakes in. But the plastic tubs just didn't look right sitting on the wall with the awesome snake tanks. And I also have dwarf hamsters that need displaying (I'm going to have them breed once to observe a full hamster life-cycle and have the kids make a scientific observation on the difference in development between hamsters and ASFs). So, I decided to get glass tanks for everybody. I searched craigs and found this guy selling 8 10-gal reptile tanks for 5 bucks apiece. I went to pick up 4 of them for 20 bucks but the guy loaded all 7 (he dropped one and it cracked!) in the car! So, hey, 7 tanks for 20 bucks - that's almost the price of one sterilite, yes?

So, I answered glass tanks in the poll...
    ----------------------------------
    BP owner since Oct 2008, so yeah, I'm no expert.
    0.1.0 pastel bp
    1.0.0 spider bp
    0.1.0 albino bp
    1.0.0 bumblebee bp
    1.0.0 yellowbelly bp
    0.0.1 normal bp
    1.0.0 normal western hognose

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

I'm also using the cement mixing tubs with 1/4 mesh on top. They are probably a bit bigger than necessary but I've had no chewing problems.

My construction is furring strips (called 1X2 but really about 3/4 of that) held together with 1.5" drywall screws. With proper pilot holes you can build some neat but cheap and light things with furring strips and drywall screws.

BPnet Senior Member Mike Cavanaugh's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,022 Times in 458 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by anatess View Post
    Whoa, Mike, check that out... lots of glass tank choices.

Okay, I have pet ASFs and feeder ones. The feeder ones started on a Penn Tennis Balls tub modified like the sterilite tubs on the DIY section. The pet ones (my trio breeder) started in a Habitrail hamster condo. The kids are always playing with the rats and the kids would not close the condo properly, so I moved them to a rubbermaid tub. They're in my office by my feet because I love looking at them all day long and I can't see clearly through the side of the tub. So, then my husband decided to get my son a hognose for Christmas, so we're preparing the tank. We would now have 3 snake tanks but not enough shelves, so we decided to put oversized built-in bookshelves on the office wall to put the snakes in. But the plastic tubs just didn't look right sitting on the wall with the awesome snake tanks. And I also have dwarf hamsters that need displaying (I'm going to have them breed once to observe a full hamster life-cycle and have the kids make a scientific observation on the difference in development between hamsters and ASFs). So, I decided to get glass tanks for everybody. I searched craigs and found this guy selling 8 10-gal reptile tanks for 5 bucks apiece. I went to pick up 4 of them for 20 bucks but the guy loaded all 7 (he dropped one and it cracked!) in the car! So, hey, 7 tanks for 20 bucks - that's almost the price of one sterilite, yes?

So, I answered glass tanks in the poll...
    Wow, you always find great deals! next time you find one of these great deals, and you don't want it, Hook me up with the heads up!!!

Mike
    Mikey Cavanaugh
    (904) 318-3333

Thanks

converted file-holder tubs

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast