Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,103

0 members and 3,103 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Where do you start with proving out a dinker?

OKay, so this is the year of some serious breeding, being out of college and all.

So my problem : I noticed some people selectively breed their dinkers, while others start from the floor and breed them to normals.

I don't know which approach I should take, as I have many unprovens and dinker projects. If I start from the ground, and breed dinker x normal, at least I'll know that the dinker is the source of anything unusual and exactly what the gene looks like. Then I could work my way up.

If I selectively breed, and I get something awesome, that would be great. But then I would have to work my way backwards to find out what came from where.

Im pretty sure that Im going to put the unproven calico to my yellowbelly pastel. I know what that the female is probably a calico, and that's that.

My main dilema is this pair:

Armani

Lassie

I think lassie is just going to turn out to be a nice blusher, and wonder if she should go with the pastel yellowbelly as well ... ack I dont know I'm so confused!!!

What do you guys do?

Thanks

Re: Where do you start with proving out a dinker?

Well, most people still pair up their Dinkers to morphs, unless none are availible, or they are REALLY special. Ive got a Black pastel female with no coloring on her head, and she is going to be paired up with my Lesser. should I get a few that are the same... Great!! I think it would be somewhat of a waist to breed dinkers to normals if I had morphs, or hets, on the site.
    - Matt

Come here little guy. You're awfully cute and fluffy but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat

Thanks

Well, I don't know about you, but if I were you, I'd pack Armani up in a box and ship her to me...

XD And if not that, then I'd definitely introduce her(?) to a cinnamon. That is a BEAUITUFL snake. Loooove the blushing. XD
    Ball Pythons
    1.0 Normal "Draccy"
    0.2 Normal "Matika", "Lara Croft"
    1.0 Lesser Cinny "Thor"

Thanks

Ill be looking to prove out a dinker that looks very similar to your armani this winter. I have him scheduled to meet up with my pastel female. I dont have any normal females so I have no choice but to paid him with my pastel. Hopefully we both got something new and they make really cool super forms!! Best of luck with her
    snakes

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Well you cannot leave me hanging like that mr. Where are the pictures of my armani's clutch mate!!

And armani is a male. I dont know if I should put armani and lassie together ... she is the only breedable special female I have, unless i GET CRACK-A-LACKIN on getting some others up to size.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,356 Times in 1,377 Posts

Even if you, say, bred Armani to a normal female, you would have to breed him multiple times. The first year you may get a few normal looking offspring and some that may have inherited Armani's looks. If you're working with a subtle co-dom morph like a yellow belly, it would take several years to breed some babies, then breed a female that has Armani's looks, back to Armani to see if you get a super.

I'm still unsure about the whole straight up morph or just inherited looks thing. Unless of course there's a super.

If a yellow belly to yellow belly didn't produce a super, would it still be considered a genetic mutation or morph? Or would it just be a snake that tended to produce offspring that inherited it's parents looks...

I'm confused...
    Lucifer Sam, Siam cat...
    Always sitting by your side,
    Always by your side...
    That cat's something I can't explain...

Thanks

Gamble looks a little different than Armani but has the same type of blushing and a very similar pattern... This guy was captive hatched in africa and hopefully has something new going on.

snakes

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Ooooohh wow - he is a lot alike! Gamble is just ... one big BLUSH lol. But they do both have the granite thing going on as well. Very, very nice! And I agree - I hope we both do well with them

Sho -

I think a genetic mutation IS the definition of a morph. A yellowbelly, for instance, I think would still be considered a morph - it is a particular gene that makes a yb, and can be combined with other genes to make fabulous combos. (even if it didnt have a super form)

An inheritable "trait" is all the varients of a gene - like a reduced pattern normal, or a bright line of pastels.

Thats my take on it and im sticking to it lol.

Thanks

Hmm... alright, maybe I don't fully understand: What is a dinker? I've heard a lot about them, but don't really get what they are. Is it a snake you think has something different genetically but aren't sure? Is it a nice looking normal whose special qualities you want to reproduce?

Help me out here, as my breeding size female normal, Hera, has some interesting qualities...and the rescue I'll be getting soon seems to be a normal but has the light color of a browned out pastel. Are either of these dinkers?
    **Adriana - White 'N Nerdy!**

1.0 BP 'SunSpot', 0.1 Corn 'Freya', 1.0 IJ BTS 'Topaz', 1.0 ND bunny 'Licorice'

Thanks

dinker is pretty much anything that looks different than an already proven morph... some are just crazy looking normals and others may turn out to be a new morph... breed em out and see what hatches is the only way to know for sure.
    snakes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast